Aloha from HI

New guy from HI and new to hunting. Lots of things to learn and am grateful for all the knowledge shared on this forum. Is anyone else on this board in/from the islands?

JNDEER

WKR
Aloha-
What island are you on? Love hawaii and love hunting hawaii even more! But I am from the mainland CA

OP
P
I am on Oahu. Mostly pigs and goats here. Will likely start with those with goals to work my way onto axis deer in Lanai. Where have you gone hunting in Hawaii?

JNDEER

WKR
I am on Oahu. Mostly pigs and goats here. Will likely start with those with goals to work my way onto axis deer in Lanai. Where have you gone hunting in Hawaii?
Big island sheep and pig. Lanai axis, Molokai axis.

All good stuff- just addicted to the hawaii hunting and it sure helps the axis are the best tasting meat I have ever eaten!

OP
P
Big island sheep and pig. Lanai axis, Molokai axis.

All good stuff- just addicted to the hawaii hunting and it sure helps the axis are the best tasting meat I have ever eaten!
That's awesome. I'm looking forward to learning and eventually getting to the outer islands. Great to hear that we have tasty axis!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

I'm moving to Oahu in July, so I'm not far behind. I've been in touch with another hunter here that is moving out there in June, so you will have as much hunting company as you want. I'm looking forward to the pig, goat, and axis hunting myself. I spearfish as well, any chance you're into that?

Most public hunting areas on the island allow firearms for goats and pigs, I hope that turns out to be the case because I don't bow hunt.

Last edited:
Aloha PrimarySecondary, from Kona Hawaii. Just joined the forum and need to get in my obligatory 10 posts on other's threads. This is #1 of 10.

I have a problem with pigs in a heavily wooded 500 acres adjacent a suburban area so I need to go quietly and under the radar. Am just starting, so I would like to find a small caliber (303, 308, etc) carbine, subsonic and snubbed. Don't want to bother the neighbors and my prey will only be 25 yards away max. I'll need a red dot and plenty of patience.

Hope to hear from you and others.

Dean.

Aloha PrimarySecondary, from Kona Hawaii. Just joined the forum and need to get in my obligatory 10 posts on other's threads. This is #1 of 10.

I have a problem with pigs in a heavily wooded 500 acres adjacent a suburban area so I need to go quietly and under the radar. Am just starting, so I would like to find a small caliber (303, 308, etc) carbine, subsonic and snubbed. Don't want to bother the neighbors and my prey will only be 25 yards away max. I'll need a red dot and plenty of patience.

Hope to hear from you and others.

Dean.
Aloha PrimarySecondary,

Sorry to hyjack your thread, but at least you're in Hawaii and wanting to meet other Hawaii residents with hunting interests. This is another obligatory post #2 of 10 to get fully indoctrinated.

Went to the local gun shop in Kona (Guns & Ammo) and talked with the owner. For my interests, he told me to see the shop in Kealakekua (Kona Reloads). I'll call them tomorrow.

Hope to hear from you PrimarySecondary.

Dean.

JNDEER

WKR
Aloha PrimarySecondary,

Sorry to hyjack your thread, but at least you're in Hawaii and wanting to meet other Hawaii residents with hunting interests. This is another obligatory post #2 of 10 to get fully indoctrinated.

Went to the local gun shop in Kona (Guns & Ammo) and talked with the owner. For my interests, he told me to see the shop in Kealakekua (Kona Reloads). I'll call them tomorrow.

Hope to hear from you PrimarySecondary.

Dean.
There is always archery or x-bows you could use for those little fellas on the Kona side. Camofire.com has cheap xbow for sale.

Thanks JNDEER. I know about cross bows, but never saw myself using one. However, if I understand correctly, there are no restrictions for using an x-bow in an area near housing. Then I wouldn't get into trouble with the police. My job is sensitive, if I get arrested, I will get fired. The x-bow is sounding real good. Thanks for the link. (I visited that link but only found hunting apperal and knives.) I will contact them directly later.)

I did get a money order for the Long Gun permit from the police. Still have to get an appointment. I'd still like to get a .300 or .303 or .30-06, or .308 or 30-30. Not sure if I understand whether these rifles are in the same league together.

This is obligatory post 3 of 10 toward achieving full membership rights.

Dean.

Thanks JNDEER. I know about cross bows, but never saw myself using one. However, if I understand correctly, there are no restrictions for using an x-bow in an area near housing. Then I wouldn't get into trouble with the police. My job is sensitive, if I get arrested, I will get fired. The x-bow is sounding real good. Thanks for the link. (I visited that link but only found hunting apperal and knives.) I will contact them directly later.)

I did get a money order for the Long Gun permit from the police. Still have to get an appointment. I'd still like to get a .300 or .303 or .30-06, or .308 or 30-30. Not sure if I understand whether these rifles are in the same league together.

This is obligatory post 3 of 10 toward achieving full membership rights.

Dean.
Thanks again JNDEER,

...regarding going to x-bows instead of rifles, I just bought a TenPoint crossbow package with a scope -- I'm concerned that I just got scammed. The package of a TenPoint (430?) with a Garmin scope for $98. Suddenly I'm thinking it cannot be a valid purchase.
SquareSpace purchase #j7ICPnfTQbqbPaqKbIJaXJbO8V7UH6Sn

Any advise out there?

This is my obligatory post #4 of 10 to get my membership fully accredited.

Dean.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Hey there, I'm on Oahu, done some of hunting on public land, pretty tough hunting on public here, would love to go after goats in the west side. Also trying to get more into spear fishing. Any Oahu folks feel free to message me if you want to get in the woods or the water. I'm on north shore

Thanks again JNDEER,

...regarding going to x-bows instead of rifles, I just bought a TenPoint crossbow package with a scope -- I'm concerned that I just got scammed. The package of a TenPoint (430?) with a Garmin scope for $98. Suddenly I'm thinking it cannot be a valid purchase.
SquareSpace purchase #j7ICPnfTQbqbPaqKbIJaXJbO8V7UH6Sn

Any advise out there?

This is my obligatory post #4 of 10 to get my membership fully accredited.

Dean.
I'm realizing I may, or may not, have been scammed. I quoted the model wrong above, it's really the TenPoint Titan M1 for $98. Still wondering. If it shows up I'll be happy. If not, then a lesson learned.

Obligatory post #5 of 10 and heading toward fully qualified membership.

Dean.

Hey there, I'm on Oahu, done some of hunting on public land, pretty tough hunting on public here, would love to go after goats in the west side. Also trying to get more into spear fishing. Any Oahu folks feel free to message me if you want to get in the woods or the water. I'm on north shore
Hello EJFS,

Thanks for the introduction. This is PrimarySecondary's post, and I keep hoping he will chime in. I do realize I've hijacked his post. This is my obligatory #6 of 10 posts in route to meaningful membership.

EJFS: Occasionally I hear of people wanting to hunt on Oahu, and I know a few people here. I, however, am not established in the hunting community to host a group on the Big Island. There are a lot of goats on the north side of Kona that occupy the drier areas. Down in Kona, the weather is wetter these days and we see mostly pigs.

Dean.

I'm realizing I may, or may not, have been scammed. I quoted the model wrong above, it's really the TenPoint Titan M1 for $98. Still wondering. If it shows up I'll be happy. If not, then a lesson learned.

Obligatory post #5 of 10 and heading toward fully qualified membership.

Dean.
Did a little research on the sellers of the $98.99 crossbow, turns out they are definitively a scamming organization. H E A R T Inc is a fundraising company for alcoholics in San Francisco. The funds raised are taken in by a NYC bank. The price is 1 cent below the limit whereas PayPal will not help people get refunds. I, however, did not use PayPal, but instead used a Visa CC. The CC company requires the card be shut down during the time the transaction is being investigated. This card is my main purchasing card, so shutting it down would be a larger problem that losing $98.99. The seller's website offers a place to search for your receipt. That again is another scam because the form requires all the data necessary to make another purchase for $98.99.

Learn from my mistake everyone. Any expensive item offered for less than $99.00 is probably a scam.

This is my 7th of 10 obligatory post posts toward becoming a complete member on RockSlide Forum.

Dean.

Did a little research on the sellers of the $98.99 crossbow, turns out they are definitively a scamming organization. H E A R T Inc is a fundraising company for alcoholics in San Francisco. The funds raised are taken in by a NYC bank. The price is 1 cent below the limit whereas PayPal will not help people get refunds. I, however, did not use PayPal, but instead used a Visa CC. The CC company requires the card be shut down during the time the transaction is being investigated. This card is my main purchasing card, so shutting it down would be a larger problem that losing $98.99. The seller's website offers a place to search for your receipt. That again is another scam because the form requires all the data necessary to make another purchase for $98.99.

Learn from my mistake everyone. Any expensive item offered for less than $99.00 is probably a scam.

This is my 7th of 10 obligatory post posts toward becoming a complete member on RockSlide Forum.

Dean.
Over the past couple days I've managed to get my $98.99 back from the rotten seller. I had to close down my CC and Dispute the transaction. I also sent them a couple notes describing what I had discovered by tracing their web domain name and Incorporation papers.

Secondly, I purchased a crossbow from a bonafide seller on eBay. It's a "New 2022 Killer Instinct Lethal 405 4x32 Scope Crossbow Package" from Pine Mountain Archery for $239.87. Also purchased a "Killer Instinct DSC Crossbow Crank Wide Sled 2078-2 Lethal 405" also from Pine Mountain Archery for $99.00. Of course add tax, and got Free shipping on both.

This is post #8 of 10 toward my full fledged membership.

Dean.