All Around Bino/Spotter set up

sufishent

FNG
I have all the heavy duty stuff from outdoorsman for my set up. Despite all the dollars spent when I put my Swaro 85mm on it still shakes.

It’s got the rail on it blah, blah, blah..:)

What else is out there for a super solid platform?

Thank for focusing on options not dissecting the outdoorsman gear.

Outwest

WKR
Was the center column extended when using it? Their stuff has always seemed really solid but extending that column will cause shakes no matter what you’re using, it’s just not as stable as when the head is as low as possible. Preferably the center column is not extended at all.

With that being said, any high quality, rigid carbon tripod will minimize vibrations in the image, just stay away from center columns when using a heavy spotter. I really like the legs I have from manfrotto and leofoto, Leofoto even makes some tripods with no center column.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I went with the inverted leg Leofoto tripod. It’s a little heavier but with only two leg sections it is super stable. Everyone who glasses with it loves how solid it is.

Leg sections and the center column all contribute to lack of stability.

OP
S

sufishent

FNG
I went with the inverted leg Leofoto tripod. It’s a little heavier but with only two leg sections it is super stable. Everyone who glasses with it loves how solid it is.

Interesting. I didn’t realize that on the legs and such but that makes sense. Thank you.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I have Slik 733 and 624(?) both with VA-5 heads. Only issue I have with STX 85/Range EL is when it’s windy. I’ll rest my hand on center post hook or hang a lil bag filled with gravel/rocks for added stability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

sufishent

FNG

I forgot to ask what head you went with on your setup? Thx

OP
S

sufishent

FNG
Was the center column extended when using it? Their stuff has always seemed really solid but extending that column will cause shakes no matter what you’re using, it’s just not as stable as when the head is as low as possible. Preferably the center column is not extended at all.

With that being said, any high quality, rigid carbon tripod will minimize vibrations in the image, just stay away from center columns when using a heavy spotter. I really like the legs I have from manfrotto and leofoto, Leofoto even makes some tripods with no center column.
There is no way to not extend but get what you mean. If I was a bit more vertically challenged maybe I would not have to extend it…

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There is no way to not extend but get what you mean. If I was a bit more vertically challenged maybe I would not have to extend it…
I am 6’2” and have to use stuff extended, and no center column tripod works well enough for a spotter. It weighs too much. I chose a head for shooting prioritized over glassing. The one recommended above is very good. The legs matter more for shake.

All depends on your budget. If you can afford an RRS, get an RRS that suits your weight and size considerations. There's currently only one top dog in the tripod space. Leofoto does well in the price point under RRS because their company was founded with the guiding principle of ripping off RRS' designs and avoiding their lawsuits by nature of being based out of China. But they're still not on par with actual RRS tripods.

I use an RRS TFCT-34L with an Anvil-30 head on top for shooting. I then clip the RRS PT-Scout pan head into the Anvil for glassing so I get a pan/tilt head for glassing and can immediately switch to shooting off the best shooting ball head on the market right now. Now I also don't need to care about weight quite as much as people who are backpacking long distances so if you do care about weight, I'd get a lighter RRS with fewer leg sections maybe.

OP
S

sufishent

FNG
I have Slik 733 and 624(?) both with VA-5 heads. Only issue I have with STX 85/Range EL is when it’s windy. I’ll rest my hand on center post hook or hang a lil bag filled with gravel/rocks for added stability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the adding something to hold down a bit , need to figure out how to add a hook to bottom of center post.

OP
S

sufishent

FNG
Thank you all for the feedback it was helpful and I learned a couple things as well!