Alec Baldwin shooting

He may be in for some serious grief at the civil trial. An employee of his company was killed on the job as a result of company practices. By a principal of the company. There is certainly some culpability there.

I’ve been curious about something all along though. At the moment on set when the cartridges are placed in the cylinder, how do you tell a dummy round from a real one?

Edit: I looked it up. Dimpled primer and holes drilled in the case for dummy rounds. So pretty obvious. Another question comes to mind. Is it SOP for actors to inspect all the ammo in their weapons before using them in a scene?

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
He may be in for some serious grief at the civil trial. An employee of his company was killed on the job as a result of company practices. By a principal of the company. There is certainly some culpability there.

I’ve been curious about something all along though. At the moment on set when the cartridges are placed in the cylinder, how do you tell a dummy round from a real one?

Edit: I looked it up. Dimpled primer and holes drilled in the case for dummy rounds. So pretty obvious. Another question comes to mind. Is it SOP for actors to inspect all the ammo in their weapons before using them in a scene?
Yep, suspect that this will be the case.

GSPHUNTER

WKR

The real ?????????? why were live rounds anywhere near the set?. I know there were guys target practicing with that very weapon the day before, or was that the morning of, in any event, why were there live rounds on the set????? I do hope the family goes after him big time and really makes him cry, big time.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought the civil suit had already been settled, quite a while ago?????

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
Terrible deal….that every single one of us knows is simple gun safety Taught in every hunter safety class And could have been avoided.

Of course its a liberal celebrity that has made it known he hates guns and no doubt thinks of hunters as redneck idiots. Well who is the idiot now? I wonder if his, “someone elses problem” defense will hold up?

Stories of cast shooting off set, ammo laying around, etc. Any hunter in Baldwins place is going to check that weapon himself before pointing it at anything…..…
gun's, is one of man's greatest invention. but its just like ice-cream for lactose intolerant people its not made for everyone.

If anyone, right from the beginning thought Baldwin was going to get charged with anything, you are the fool. That man has a LOT of power in many circles and a lot of people ensured that this was going to end up as it did... The prosecution screwed up, just like they were directed to do...pardon the pun! The fix was in from day one. Certainly, Baldwin will carry the death of his friend to his grave and that is something that isnt changing, ever. Perhaps, that is enough punishment by itself. My cousin killed a man in self defense, went to trial and was aquitted.....but he could never forgive himself for killing this man who had a wife and six young children. He killed himself a few years later as he could not live with what he had done to that family even though it was in self defense. I always tell people, if you pull that trigger on another human there are consequences other than legal ones.

WKR
Investigators and prosecutors should be dotting the I and crossing the T always. Failure to do so can be damning. Withholding information that might be exculpatory is a huge error. Many defendants that were probably guilty have had cases dismissed or overturned on appeal because of it.

I saw a murder conviction overturned because the prosecution knew about the defendant being at work at a certain time that fell within the probable timeframe. The guy was probably guilty-he still had enough time to commit the crime and make it to work-but that needed to be put out there by the prosecutor and argued.

Withholding information that makes your case look bad is never the answer.

Bluefish

WKR
My understanding is no. The actor should get the gun from the armorer who has reviewed it to be ready for whatever camera shot is taking place. Ie blanks, hero shot, etc. The condition of the gun falls on the armorer. Then after the camera shots the gun goes right back to the armorer.
This set seems to have broken many rules for movie set handling of firearms. It’s unclear to me if the armorer was even on the set that day. It’s clear she was not where the camera was being used and thus the gun didn’t go from her to Alec as it should have. That’s a huge problem imho. I would think Alec the producer has some liability even if the actor got off on a technicality.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What a shame. He points a gun at someone that isn't even "in" the movie and pulls the trigger and kills her. Negligent homicide should have been an easy case. Involuntary manslaughter should have been a slam dunk.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
What a shame. He points a gun at someone that isn't even "in" the movie and pulls the trigger and kills her. Negligent homicide should have been an easy case. Involuntary manslaughter should have been a slam dunk.
Incompetent prosecute. Lawyering 101, don't with hold evidence from defense team.

If anyone, right from the beginning thought Baldwin was going to get charged with anything, you are the fool. That man has a LOT of power in many circles and a lot of people ensured that this was going to end up as it did... The prosecution screwed up, just like they were directed to do...pardon the pun! The fix was in from day one. Certainly, Baldwin will carry the death of his friend to his grave and that is something that isnt changing, ever. Perhaps, that is enough punishment by itself. My cousin killed a man in self defense, went to trial and was aquitted.....but he could never forgive himself for killing this man who had a wife and six young children. He killed himself a few years later as he could not live with what he had done to that family even though it was in self defense. I always tell people, if you pull that trigger on another human there are consequences other than legal ones.
He was charged.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding is no. The actor should get the gun from the armorer who has reviewed it to be ready for whatever camera shot is taking place. Ie blanks, hero shot, etc. The condition of the gun falls on the armorer. Then after the camera shots the gun goes right back to the armorer.
This set seems to have broken many rules for movie set handling of firearms. It’s unclear to me if the armorer was even on the set that day. It’s clear she was not where the camera was being used and thus the gun didn’t go from her to Alec as it should have. That’s a huge problem imho. I would think Alec the producer has some liability even if the actor got off on a technicality.
Actually, I read the procedure is that two people are responsible for checking the gun before it is put in the actor's hand, and the actors are not even allowed to check it themselves after receiving it. Two people called the gun "cold" (the armorer, and the assistant director) before Baldwin received it. Movie sets are make believe, not real life. Sometimes actors are required to point a gun directly at the camera if that's what the scene calls for. Normal rules for safe gun handling practices are just different on a movie set.

My opinion, they faced an uphill battle to get a conviction for manslaughter to begin with, and the prosecutors hiding evidence from the defense was the icing on the cake. Once the jury was empaneled, and evidence presented, the burden of jeopardy had been met, meaning anything other than a mistrial meant he could not be tried again for the same crime (double jeopardy). The judge had two options, mistrial or dismissal with prejudice, and apparently the Brady violation by the prosecution put it well beyond a mistrial.

Actually, I read the procedure is that two people are responsible for checking the gun before it is put in the actor's hand, and the actors are not even allowed to check it themselves after receiving it. Two people called the gun "cold" (the armorer, and the assistant director) before Baldwin received it. Movie sets are make believe, not real life. Sometimes actors are required to point a gun directly at the camera if that's what the scene calls for. Normal rules for safe gun handling practices are just different on a movie set.

My opinion, they faced an uphill battle to get a conviction for manslaughter to begin with, and the prosecutors hiding evidence from the defense was the icing on the cake. Once the jury was empaneled, and evidence presented, the burden of jeopardy had been met, meaning anything other than a mistrial meant he could not be tried again for the same crime (double jeopardy). The judge had two options, mistrial or dismissal with prejudice, and apparently the Brady violation by the prosecution put it well beyond a mistrial.
As someone with several family members and a couple friends in the industry...

That about sums it up.

What we think of as safe gun handling is completely different from how they're trained.

Stalker69

WKR
He thinks he is so far above “ normal” people, this will not bother him. Especially now that he didn’t get convicted of anything, in his mind it was just a simple mistake. And pretty told so by our legal system, it’s a shame. God will judge him in the end.