Alberta Outfitter Problem

buzzy

WKR
I gave a deposit for a deer hunt this past November and the outfitter had to cancel the hunt a couple weeks before the trip due to health issues he was having. He said he would return my deposit but 2.5 months later he still hasn’t provided it and isn’t returning messages.

Besides making a complaint to the Alberta outfitters board is there anything else I can do? Wondering if a police report could be made. Obviously I would let everyone know on social media but hoping to not have to go that far. I know a few outfitters he has worked for and I’d call them to inform them how he ripped me off. He’s on the young side and the hunting world is a small community. I know he’s in a difficult situation with his health but now I feel I’m just being ignored.

I will give him one last opportunity letting him know what I’m planning on doing if he doesn’t make things right but I’m at the end of my patience and just want to move on. He’s either going to provide a refund or not and if he doesn’t then I’ll go public. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

ljalberta

WKR
You could file a police report. You could also hire a lawyer to send a demand letter and raise the possibility of further legal action. Whether it’s worth it or not would depend on the size of the deposit.

Trial153

WKR
Novel idea, I know. But I would get in touch with him or his family and have an actual conversation and find out the situation before making any further decisions.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Novel idea, I know. But I would get in touch with him or his family and have an actual conversation and find out the situation before making any further decisions.
Agree that some communication is needed, but it sounds like the Outfitter has "ghosted" him for 2.5 months now. At what point do you say enough is enough?

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Agree that some communication is needed, but it sounds like the Outfitter has "ghosted" him for 2.5 months now. At what point do you say enough is enough?
Yea he responds once every 3 weeks or so with I’m doing better and at home. Always ending on I’ll sit down and figure out what I owe you tonight and then nothing. So at this point it seems like my good nature is being taken advantage of.

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hear of your situation. Crappy

Is this a highly known reputable GO?

Or a fly by night Flunky that is not credible?

I hope your situation gets resolved soon or YES I would file report, and take legal action if something doesn't happen soon.

That said, you can't make honey out of dog dung

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Sorry to hear of your situation. Crappy

Is this a highly known reputable GO?

Or a fly by night Flunky that is not credible?

I hope your situation gets resolved soon or YES I would file report, and take legal action if something doesn't happen soon.

That said, you can't make honey out of dog dung
He was trying to start up his business and had taken a few hunters the previous years. I met him as a guide in a camp that I was in and he appeared to have is ducks in order. Live and learn I guess but he will get foamed for sure if we don’t get this resolved in the near future. Giving him all the time in the world to make this right but time is running out.

Crusader

WKR
Yea he responds once every 3 weeks or so with I’m doing better and at home. Always ending on I’ll sit down and figure out what I owe you tonight and then nothing. So at this point it seems like my good nature is being taken advantage of.
"....I'll sit down and figure out what I owe you tonight...." -- It would seem to me that it would be pretty obvious, he owes you 100% of what you paid him as a down payment, right? I presume in your written communications with him that you reminded him of that exact amount he owes you?

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Your getting taken advantage of. He is using his personal situation to manipulate you. After 2 promises you need to ramp up things. Get on his social media pages where he advertises and tell your story about getting screwed.

Nice guys finish last ... and don't get paid.

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
"....I'll sit down and figure out what I owe you tonight...." -- It would seem to me that it would be pretty obvious, he owes you 100% of what you paid him as a down payment, right? I presume in your written communications with him that you reminded him of that exact amount he owes you?
He is wanting me to pay for the tag that he supposedly purchased. I shouldn’t have too but at this point I’d be happy to get half of my deposit back. Yea I agree I think it’s time to ramp things up.

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
Sure hope it works out in your favor.

These are the types that give GOs a bad name.
The dude doesn't sound reputable.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
He is wanting me to pay for the tag that he supposedly purchased. I shouldn’t have too but at this point I’d be happy to get half of my deposit back. Yea I agree I think it’s time to ramp things up.
What kind of #'s we talking? If he cancelled it seems odd he wants you to pay for tag. Something doesn't add up unless he tried to move you to smother year and you refused.

2ski

WKR
Maybe in your communication you offer to put a payment plan together. If he had medical and has no income right now...you can't get water from a rock. Maybe have a little compassion and try to work with him. He's probably ashamed her can't pay you. You said he's young. Let this be a learning opportunity for him without using the nuclear option.

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Deposit was $3k and another $600 in tags. No offer to move and the hunt wasn’t cancelled until a week before I was to take off. Originally he was going to refund everything including airfare. Then it moved to just the deposit. Hell I’d be happy with half of that and be done with it.

I did give him more of an ultimatum today and he responded. Supposedly he was in a car accident and still not working and can’t pay me back right now but he plans to once he gets some money. I asked for more of a plan on payments and when we can get this done and crickets again. Guess I’ll continue to be patient and hope for the best before blasting him. I know 2 outfitters he has worked for and they will be the first to know if this goes south.