Alaska tent?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't it a 16 man and some kind of freak wall of high wind?

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=30467

I hadn't read that story before, but given the conditions he describes its not surprising that any shelter might be prone to failure under those conditions, Seems highly unlikely that the OP should have to worry about a storm of that magnitude--but having more than one shelter along on a trip is never a bad idea...as is being selective about shelter set up locations.

The guy who had his tipi destroyed is a friend of mine who lives in California. As I recall it, the winds were shrieking and deforming his 16-Man but everything was holding okay. The winds then built to an unbelievable velocity and gusts....I remember him saying the center-pole exploded and the tipi was instantly flattened. They sought shelter where they could and managed to get covered up and dry. I believe they had an extra shelter or were able to rebuild things and keep hunting. This was happening in an alpine area of the Fortymile region.

Meanwhile, my partner and I were riding things out in a deep river valley protected by high ridges. Still the wind was blowing hard and really roaring up on the hillsides. The air was full of debris and birch leaves when dawn arrived...we knew it was bad somewhere. Our pilot and friend told us he was unable to fly for 2 or 3 days due to the winds. My 8-Man was fine tucked into the spruce trees, but I'm not sure any tent would have endured that night on an exposed ridge. It makes you think....all it takes is one bad night and your trip could be over.

Daniel_M

WKR
September 2012 was brutal for many across the state. Flooding, folks stranded. Several drownings. Bad all around.

Very outside a semi normal season but never outside the scope of possible conditions.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

worx53

WKR
Doing the same trip in 2017...I am taking a 8 man Prolly a Seek Outside and a WiFi stove. Two of us are hunting but with the available nest options I can see this setup getting a lot of use for other hunts ( aka-3rd rifle in Colorado when it gets really cold)

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
What are y'all's thoughts on a big agnus flying diamond 8 person tent. They are lighter than the cabelas Alaskan guide tent and I can get them for around half off. The price savings sounds really good but the savings are not worth it if the tent is not up for the task. What says the back country brain trust?

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I would use the Flying Diamond 8 in 90% of Alaska without a worry.

colonel00

WKR
My only issue with that BA tent would be the height as I can stand up in our Cabelas dome. But, I have old bones so that matters a little more to me. Also it appears that the Cabela's may have a bit more space in the vestibule which you may come to love in the Alaskan rain.