Alaska Spring Bear 2022

OP
Frontier Mulie
Original Poster on this thread. We are now booked out of Whittier with Ninilchik Charters. We get on the boat early in the morning. Wondering if there is any recommendations of places to stay in Whitter the night before? 5 guys in our group.

Dmartin88

FNG
Original Poster on this thread. We are now booked out of Whittier with Ninilchik Charters. We get on the boat early in the morning. Wondering if there is any recommendations of places to stay in Whitter the night before? 5 guys in our group.
Nice! We booked with Ninilchik for May of 2022 as well! After we had decided to go with them, I found out that the Huntin Fool crew went with them in 2021 so if you're a Huntin Fool member you could contact them for more info. And the Hush guys and a couple of guys from OnX went on a deer hunt with Ninilchik on Kodiak a year or two ago so they must be a pretty legit transporter! I'm starting to get pretty excited!

WARDEN689

FNG
Nice! We booked with Ninilchik for May of 2022 as well! After we had decided to go with them, I found out that the Huntin Fool crew went with them in 2021 so if you're a Huntin Fool member you could contact them for more info. And the Hush guys and a couple of guys from OnX went on a deer hunt with Ninilchik on Kodiak a year or two ago so they must be a pretty legit transporter! I'm starting to get pretty excited!
How did your spring bear go for last year?

Dmartin88

FNG
How did your spring bear go for last year?
We got skunked! BAD! lol no bear no halibut! They had a record 55' (that's 55 FEET) of snowfall in PWS last year and the captain said he'd never seen anything like it in his 8 years as captain. He said the previous year at the same time the hunters were passing on bears for bigger and nicer bears. There was 8-10' of snow in a lot of places and it rained for 4 straight days. So the general consensus was that the bears were still denned up. We finally saw a couple bears on Thursday afternoon but they were way up high on the steepest possible mountain. We made an attempt at them but nearly killed ourselves! one of the guys actually fell quite a ways and got a pretty good cut on his head! It was brutal to say the least. Got cliffed out multiple times. We caught one halibut the whole trip but caught quite a few pacific cod and rockfish. It was a fun trip but tag soup never tastes very good.