Alaska Sheep 2023

Well ... looks like I'll be for sure in the mountains this year.
With numbers low I was debating doing something else but I drew one of the better tags in Alaska and I know a few guys who have gone in on the hunt. Hopefully there are still some big rams back up in there.
Looking at Late season - mostly hunting in early September - DS204 Delta.
Time to drop pounds, check gear again, and start getting after it!

Still chasing that first Sheep!

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Any plans for entry into DCUA?
that is a great question - I have a call into an air service but pretty sure that is going to be out of my budget this year. Picked a wrong year to promise my wife to pay off as much debt as possible. Luckily I bought most of what I needed back in 2020 so it won't be terrible but I deffinitely have some needs for the year.
Ill shoot you a message and feel free to reach out!

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
For later season (September Alaska Hunting) are there any advantages with going with a 15 or 20 degree bag or should I just focus on getting a new 0* bag?
I have the old Klymit 0* 100% Down - but the last couple hunts it hasn't dried me out as effectively and it has started to get damp - it is 5 years old. I asked how to renew the treatment and Klymit told me to just wash and make sure it dries all the way and it will take care of itself. But I've already done that and still gotten this result. It has been a fantastic bag but not sure i want to trust it for 10-15 days in Alaska's September sheep mountains.

flanman85

FNG
Even in september you will be fine with a 20-32 bag. Just put your Puffies on if you get chilly and sleep in the sack that way. I cannot think of a reason for lugging around a 0 bag on a sheep hunt.

Rowndy

FNG
I think you’ll want a 0* bag. It probably depends on your camp set up and what tent you are using too, but there’s a reasonable chance of seeing single digit temps. A couple years ago I was in a similar part of the AK range in early September and it was bottoming out around 10*F. Backpacking starts to get pretty tough at those temps, and I would not have been able to stay out with less than a 0* bag.

Good luck on the hunt, I look forward to hearing about it.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Even in september you will be fine with a 20-32 bag. Just put your Puffies on if you get chilly and sleep in the sack that way. I cannot think of a reason for lugging around a 0 bag on a sheep hunt.
Its funny, there are two trains of thoughts here just like there is on down vs synthetic.
I see alot of guys who say just take the 0* for pretty much anything after August.
I'm somewhere in between - I'm going to try to revitalize my current bag and then go from there. I am buying down wash, down waterproofer and then a tech wash for the bag and the outside to help it. But if I can swing it i'll be buying a new bag as well. I'm looking at the Kifaru Slick potentially.
Thank you for your input.
Also I'd love to get the SG 0* Down which weights 2 lbs 10 oz vs the 15* weighing 2 lbs 3 oz.
the Kifaru Slick is 2.8 lbs for 20* and 3.35 lbs for 0*

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
I think you’ll want a 0* bag. It probably depends on your camp set up and what tent you are using too, but there’s a reasonable chance of seeing single digit temps. A couple years ago I was in a similar part of the AK range in early September and it was bottoming out around 10*F. Backpacking starts to get pretty tough at those temps, and I would not have been able to stay out with less than a 0* bag.

Good luck on the hunt, I look forward to hearing about it.
I've got the Stone Glacier SkyScraper 2P - I've been using it since 2020 and really like it alot. Last year got the footprint so I didn't carry an old dynema one I'd made.
It definitely has the change to get pretty chilly up in those hills in September, especially that close to all the glaciers.
I'm definitely leaning towards the 0* but I'm still trying to figure out how to shave a few pounds off my pack - got a spotter that is 2 lbs lighter and I'm getting a better Spotting scope. My current bag is almost 4 (62.7 oz) and my pad is pretty heavy too (24 oz) so if I can gut those down to 3 and 1 pound that helps alot!

flanman85

FNG
Its funny, there are two trains of thoughts here just like there is on down vs synthetic.
I see alot of guys who say just take the 0* for pretty much anything after August.
I'm somewhere in between - I'm going to try to revitalize my current bag and then go from there. I am buying down wash, down waterproofer and then a tech wash for the bag and the outside to help it. But if I can swing it i'll be buying a new bag as well. I'm looking at the Kifaru Slick potentially.
Thank you for your input.
Also I'd love to get the SG 0* Down which weights 2 lbs 10 oz vs the 15* weighing 2 lbs 3 oz.
the Kifaru Slick is 2.8 lbs for 20* and 3.35 lbs for 0*
I run both syn and down. On lightweight trips I prefer the down for packing and weight but it better be top notch. I had a down get soaked on a goat hunt, it was no fun.
Again a 0 bag is pretty extreme. I guess it depends on your threshold for cold. Your tent will be naturally warmer than the outside anyway. I guess it depends on the R value of your pad. I like the sea to summit pads with an R value of like 1.8…if I remember correctly. I live in Palmer AK and I don’t use a 0 bag except for winter camping.
Just know the pros and cons before and you will be fine. But a syn 0 bag on a Sept pack hunt seems safe to me, but overkill.

I use my Stone Glacier 15 degree the entire season August through November. No complaints especially if you bring top and bottom puffy gear and a sleeping pad with insulation. Hot Nalgene also works wonders.

I always bring my 0 degree Kifaru and always glad I have it. Even on August sheep hunt. Sometimes you get wet and cold and it cooks all the moisture off.

Snyd

WKR
Congrats on the tag. I've been in that country on 3 hunts. Got my first and my last rams there. Avatar pic is the Last Ram. Snow and cold is pretty common in that country even in August. Been there done that. If you are a cold sleeper get a warmer bag. If your shivering all night and can't get good rest that will tucker you out more than carrying a bag that weighs a few more ozs. I always packed a 20 degree down bag and a 4 season tent. I'll pack an extra pound or 2 to be warm and dry.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
There is a section in DS204 that I've been hunting for over 25 years, have taken 2 rams out of there and a pile of moose. I know of 1 ram that was taken (36") so far this year in this area plus there is 1 less grizzly bear in there as well. Me and a buddy are headed there tomorrow morning, will be there for 15 days moose/grizz hunting, we're staying at the "Taj" so if you happen to be in the area stop by and I'll point you to a few places where we've killed rams in the past. Going in mid Sept is a good plan IMO, less hunters chasing sheep and even the moose hunters thin out after the first week. Good luck to you!

Last edited:

Bambistew

WKR
There is a section in DS204 that I've been hunting for over 25 years, have taken 2 rams out of there and a pile of moose. I know of 1 ram that was taken (36") so far this year in this area plus there is 1 less grizzly bear in there as well. Me and a buddy are headed there tomorrow morning, will be there for 15 days, we're staying at the "Taj" so if you happen to be in the area stop by and I'll point you to a few places where we've killed rams in the past. Going in mid Sept is a good plan IMO, less hunters chasing sheep and even the moose hunters thin out after the first week. Good luck to you!
Have you heard how many rams taken out of DCUA this year? I heard last week it was at 6. Also heard the total sheep count was extremely low, as in the 400s?

Good luck to you guys, I hope you find a ram!

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Have you heard how many rams taken out of DCUA this year? I heard last week it was at 6. Also heard the total sheep count was extremely low, as in the 400s?

Good luck to you guys, I hope you find a ram!
I've only heard of 1 taken in this area so far. I know the ram counts are low, I had this tag last year and didn't even see a ram and I found remnants of a small sheep (probably a lamb) in a huge slide area that I assume was buried in an avalanche the winter prior. I was in this area at the end of July but couldn't do any glassing due to smoke from a nearby fire. I don't believe the harvest last year of rams was very high if I remember correctly after looking at stats on the ADF&G website.

We are not sheep hunting there this year as we don't have any tags but we are moose hunting instead (should have been more clear so I edited my post to reflect it).

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
For later season (September Alaska Hunting) are there any advantages with going with a 15 or 20 degree bag or should I just focus on getting a new 0* bag?
I have the old Klymit 0* 100% Down - but the last couple hunts it hasn't dried me out as effectively and it has started to get damp - it is 5 years old. I asked how to renew the treatment and Klymit told me to just wash and make sure it dries all the way and it will take care of itself. But I've already done that and still gotten this result. It has been a fantastic bag but not sure i want to trust it for 10-15 days in Alaska's September sheep mountains.
The only bag I've ever sheep hunted is a 20 degree Wiggys Mountain Hunter bag and it's served me well over the years.