Alaska outer shell

CO2130

WKR
Heading to Alaska from about August 15th to September 20th this fall. I’m curious as to what outer shell people would recommend. I’m thinking either a Kuiu guide jacket with some insulation layers and some rain gear, or a bigger selection of insulation layers with a chinook jacket. I’m open to Sitka as well but that’d be about it. Just curious what people with experience up there would recommend that time of year. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the guide jacket and it does not block the wind. Depends on the region. I’m taking the jetstream jacket. But looked hard at the Yukon jacket for rain, wind, and snow. I have a good Helly Hansen Guide Jacket for heavy rain. So went with the jetstream. My guide jacket is good to about freezing but wind comes through it. Just my experience. I head to the the north slope caribou hunt this fall in August. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live in AK and hunt here in all seasons. For my needs, I've never really seen the point of a soft shell jacket. If it's wet or windy I usually wear my rain jacket, if it's cold or windy but dry I wear my puffy jacket (sometimes with a wind block vest underneath). If it's really cold and also wet I wear my puffy coat inside my rain jacket. For summer backpacking I like a lightweight wind shirt to cut the breeze when I am hiking and my baselayers might be sweaty. I know plenty of people who like soft shells, but I have just never found a need for them that can't be accomplished by my rain and puffy jackets.

I mostly have used my Arc'tryx Beta SV up there. It's a great shell imo. I think you'd be fine with any quality 3 layer gortex jacket, or an old school HH if you're not packing in or doing too much activity.....