Alaska in August

OneGunTex

FNG
Hi all,

It looks like i'm going to be up in Kotzebue, AK (and possibly points north) at the beginning of August for work (mil/govt).

Any advice on hunting opportunities that may be open to me by just being up there at that time? Looks like caribou, wolf, bear opens up at the beginning of August, but are there any opportunities that don't require booking an outfitter way in advance?

Or is it no luck and I should just go fishing this time around?

(Also going to post in the caribou forum, but interested in any opportunities, maybe even birds?)

If you like fishing, you’ll be a very short plane ride from an absolute bucket list fishery! I won’t type it out so it doesn’t show up in a google search, but just type “world record Dolly Varden” into google and it will guide you to where you wanna be!

I’m sure you’ve looked at a map, but basically an airplane is required to access anything that time of year. If you’re in town and flexible, I’d imagine it wouldn’t be too tough to get squeezed in for a caribou drop off.

Caribou should be easy to get on and Ptarmigan. Hopefully you can hook up with a local. Grizzly bear would be out, as you would need a guide.

OP
OneGunTex

OneGunTex

FNG
If you like fishing, you’ll be a very short plane ride from an absolute bucket list fishery! I won’t type it out so it doesn’t show up in a google search, but just type “world record Dolly Varden” into google and it will guide you to where you wanna be!

I’m sure you’ve looked at a map, but basically an airplane is required to access anything that time of year. If you’re in town and flexible, I’d imagine it wouldn’t be too tough to get squeezed in for a caribou drop off.
Oh this looks really sweet. I've never fished like that before. I'm going to make a couple of calls and see what may present itself if I show up with a rifle and a rod and some cash. Thank you