Alaska for a month

Q child

WKR
AWD drive is fine. I've done those drives many times, sometimes in the winter, with an AWD wagon.
I'd do June. The mosquitos might not be out in full force yet.

Mojave

WKR
Stop at Johnson's Crossing for a cinnamon roll!
What is the one called with the two little old ladies from southern BC that run it?

It might be in Northern BC not the Yukon. It's been a while since I was there.

They might be gone now, but I miss stopping there.

I had one of their pies at something like 10:00 or 14:00 and my wife was pissed.

Told her "you stop for little old middle of nowwhere old ladies selling pie. It will be the best damn pie you ever had".

And it was!

Can't remember if it was some kind of berry and rhubarb.

Mojave

WKR
What is the one called with the two little old ladies from southern BC that run it?

It might be in Northern BC not the Yukon. It's been a while since I was there.

They might be gone now, but I miss stopping there.

I had one of their pies at something like 10:00 or 14:00 and my wife was pissed.

Told her "you stop for little old middle of nowwhere old ladies selling pie. It will be the best damn pie you ever had".

And it was!

Can't remember if it was some kind of berry and rhubarb.
It is the one with all the hats stapled to the ceiling.

Voyageur

WKR
Get yourself the 2023 Milepost. It will give you a mile by mile to plan your trip. Lots of hotel and campgrounds in there that you may not find in an online search. It looks like the new one doesn't come out until March, but you could probably find a discounted one from 2022 online to start planning. The 2023 book will even give you all the construction projects and expected delays for the year. https://themilepost.com/

That and a copy of "The Highway Angler: Fishing Alaska's Road System" should give you a very good place to start looking at where you want to fish and when.
I second getting the current edition of The Milepost. Invaluable information. Used it in 2017 on our trip from the US all the way up to 40 miles south of Deadhorse.

hunterjmj

WKR
Driven it several times when I was younger. The Cassiar route is worth it for sure. The whole drive is great. Take your spotting scope along as well. My Dad took us up to the Skeena every summer to fish for kings when I was a kid. From the border to Terrace is great. From there north it just gets better. I agree with others that Whitehorse to Skagway is one of the most scenic places on earth. I'd stopped at some museum that had polar bears, caribou and sheep that is worth a look. I don't remember all the little stops but I do know it's a long way between gas stations. I always carried an extra 10 gallons of gas just in case and a good spare. The last time I drove from Fairbanks was in 2004 so it's been a long time. Good luck and soak up all the cool stuff in between your destinations.
I plan to do this with my family someday once our girls are older.

hunterjmj

WKR
I forgot to mention. Chena Hot Springs outside of Fairbanks is a great place to soak. Also, the Turtle Club outside Fairbanks was a great steakhouse.

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good tips. Done the drive many times also… last trip was to migrate south at the end of September. That stretch from The US border to about 10 miles out of Tok sucks! I have driven the Cassiar the last several times as it’s a bit shorter and less “heavee”, but really like that Stone Mountain area as I see stone sheep most of the time. Beware of bison on the roads south of Watson lake….they don’t respect vehicles so much.

Tod osier

WKR
Get yourself the 2023 Milepost. It will give you a mile by mile to plan your trip. Lots of hotel and campgrounds in there that you may not find in an online search. It looks like the new one doesn't come out until March, but you could probably find a discounted one from 2022 online to start planning. The 2023 book will even give you all the construction projects and expected delays for the year. https://themilepost.com/

That and a copy of "The Highway Angler: Fishing Alaska's Road System" should give you a very good place to start looking at where you want to fish and when.
I came back to this thread to add these two resources. Worth repeating. You can plan a wonderful trip with just those resources.

I'd also add not to shy away from "combat" fishing. We have had some wonderful days fishing shoulder to shoulder with Alaskans. Met some great people and had some great conversations. I can think of a couple days where my son didn't fish, but hung out and played netboy for everyone around and we all had fun. I would never fish that way anywhere else. All in moderation, solitude is also needed and easily found by walking a bit in most places.

Tod osier

WKR
Liard hot springs on way up and back, colder weather the better.

For vehicle, watch construction zones if you don't have beefy tires like 10 plys. The road bed can be really large aggregate or sharp where they are working on it, otherwise no biggie from what ive seen. Lot of paved road too.

Last edited:

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go more into July for the fishing.

And skip Fairbanks. Instead drive Valdez to Paxson, over to Cantwell, see "the Park" (McKinley is personal preference), and eventually get to Homer.

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR

And skip Fairbanks. Instead drive Valdez to Paxson, over to Cantwell, see "the Park" (McKinley is personal preference), and eventually get to Homer.

As of right now, if we're doing it, were doing it all.
The towns I highlighted are a general route, well be branching off in a lot of different areas

If we can't get the full 4 weeks I'm going to wait. It isn't that I don't or won't want to go back, it's just I want to do it right. I've been dreaming of this exact trip for years. My oldest will be a sophomore in highschool next year, so it's now, or 6 years from now when my youngest graduates highschool.

Appreciate everyone's input, I've added some stops/routes I hadn't know about!

2531usmc

WKR
Talkeetna is a cool little town . It’s certainly unique and is worth stopping in for lunch

Voyageur

WKR
As of right now, if we're doing it, were doing it all.
The towns I highlighted are a general route, well be branching off in a lot of different areas

If we can't get the full 4 weeks I'm going to wait. It isn't that I don't or won't want to go back, it's just I want to do it right. I've been dreaming of this exact trip for years. My oldest will be a sophomore in highschool next year, so it's now, or 6 years from now when my youngest graduates highschool.

Appreciate everyone's input, I've added some stops/routes I hadn't know about!
Having been through the whole kids growing up and leaving home thing may I strongly suggest that if there is any way possible to make the trip happen, do it NOW. Too many times those things that seem like they will be more convenient at some future date never come to pass. Speaking from experience...

I agree with this, and you will absolutely want to include the Kenai Penninsula as well. There's tons of good fishing right off the road, and some beautiful scenery to boot.