Alaska DIY Moose, The Inside Scoop, by Billy Molls

I had a couple questions on price. Just to clarify: The average price for a DIY moose hunt is $5K-$7K with the most expensive I know of running around $10K. Most AK hunt prices will not include travel to nearest village or airport, license, tag(s), shipment of trophy/meat home, hotels in transit, gratuities, etc. I listed $9K -$14K for the all-in price to give a ballpark estimate to help those who are questioning the overall expense. Longer flight times and remoteness of area are typically the reason for higher cost.

That said, save your pennies, find a hunting buddy or 2, and go moose hunting! It will be one of the greatest experiences of your life! Let me know if I overlooked anything. I'll answer any questions as best I can.

Good Hunting,
Billy I read your article. very nice! I would be interested in your services for a moose/caribou '22 AK hunt. Could I contact you? Kevin Liudahl

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Billy I read your article. very nice! I would be interested in your services for a moose/caribou '22 AK hunt. Could I contact you? Kevin Liudahl
Kevin, Billy might be in AK guiding sheep, but I just reached out to him for you. Hold tight and I'll post on here when I hear from him. Be sure and hit the Watch button upper right of lead post so you don't miss a notify if anyone posts.

I have probably watched all of Billys videos on Youtube, very informative and a great watch. Im headed to Alaska on a DIY hunt this year for moose and caribou out of Fairbanks. Hope it works out!

Huggybear

FNG
Awesome! Ive always wanted a big moose! My brother and I are going in 2027. It cant get here soon enough!

ACK8

FNG
Looks like the original link has changed. This one should work for Part 1
and part 2

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
attachment.php

Super excited about having Billy Molls back writing for Rokslide. Billy's been guiding in Alaska for 19 years and is an excellent resource for both guided and DIY hunters.
I read and edit A LOT of articles and can tell you guys that this is be one of the best for helping hunters do a DIY Alaskan hunt, from the planning to the travel, to the bush pilots, to the hunt tactics, and of course THE GEAR!. This is a two-part series as there is so much information to cover. Take a minute to read Part I and see if you agree.

Alaska DIY Moose, The Inside Scoop, Part I

5/6/17 Update. Had a super response to Part I. As promised, here is Part II. If you love photos, this article will light your fire!

attachment.php

Alaska DIY Moose, The Inside Scoop, Part II
P.S. Watch for Billy's upcoming DIY Caribou article on our Caribou forum

If you missed Billy's 5 Guide-Tested Techniques for Grizzly Encounters, catch up that while I get this next article ready.
I think there is something wrong w the link to the article?