Alaska brown bear outfitters

Zeeman

FNG
Any info on quality and reputable brown bear guides/outfitters in Alaska for a once in a lifetime hunt for a representative beast?

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
I haven't hunted coastal brown bears in a couple decades, but I've referred four L48 hunter friends to Phil Shoemaker in recent years ad all four came away with very nice bears. Phil runs a very good outfit in a premium area. Phil is often on this site.

Wapiti1

WKR
I know both Jake Jefferson and Phil Shoemaker. They are solid options. I'll be hunting brown bear with Jake first week of October this fall. The difference is price and bear size. Jake's areas are 8-9 foot areas, and Phil's area is 9'+.

Bob Cusack has some good hunts. Billy Molls is another. Cabot Pitts.

Really depends on your budget and trophy size expectations. Phil can get you on 9+ foot bear. Jake will be more in the 8-9 foot range for most of his areas. The other three are 9+ hunts.

Jeremy

Swampr42

FNG
Hunted this year with Blue Mountain Lodge out of SW Alaska for Spring Brown Bear. Tracy and his guides were top notch. My group of 3 killed 3 bears in 4 days, smallest bear was 9’4” largest was 9’8”.

TXHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I know both Jake Jefferson and Phil Shoemaker. They are solid options. I'll be hunting brown bear with Jake first week of October this fall. The difference is price and bear size. Jake's areas are 8-9 foot areas, and Phil's area is 9'+.

Bob Cusack has some good hunts. Billy Molls is another. Cabot Pitts.

Really depends on your budget and trophy size expectations. Phil can get you on 9+ foot bear. Jake will be more in the 8-9 foot range for most of his areas. The other three are 9+ hunts.

Jeremy
I see on Jakes website both Kodiak brown bear hunt and Grizzly hunts. Are the 8’-9’ bears your referring to the Kodiak browns or Grizzlies?

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
I see on Jakes website both Kodiak brown bear hunt and Grizzly hunts. Are the 8’-9’ bears your referring to the Kodiak browns or Grizzlies?
Mainland brown bear either baited or spot and stalk. The grizzly hunts yield bears more in the 7.5-8' range. I shot a 7.5' bear with him in 2017 in the Talkeetna's. Some are bigger, but on average, this is what to expect.

Kodiak hunts are 9'+ in most cases.

Jeremy