Alaska blueberry bears timing

Weber

Lil-Rokslider
Hey y'all,

Took a bear on September 19th that was delicious, took one on September 28th that was rancid. Both out of whittier, granted that last one was old and had little fat on her so probably wasn't eating enough berries to begin with.

I want to take my kid out to try to find her first bear here on the Kenai Peninsula but worried its still to early and I'll be getting her into some fishy bear. When do y'all usually start when seeking that sweet blueberry meat?

You cannot determine what every bear is eating or doing or how the meat is going to taste by timing your hunt a week in any direction.

You can determine what bears are feeding on by general time of year, food availability, direct observation, scat sign, feeding sign, and location. Even then, that will not necessarily determine what they were doing yesterday. Bears will feed in on a spot until they feel they have a more plentiful or secure option and will move long distances to exercise that option.

That said, September is somewhat late in the year for AK. I'd imagine the later you get in the fall the more likely bears are to diversify their pallet by necessity.

OP
Weber

Weber

Lil-Rokslider
You cannot determine what every bear is eating or doing or how the meat is going to taste by timing your hunt a week in any direction.

You can determine what bears are feeding on by general time of year, food availability, direct observation, scat sign, feeding sign, and location. Even then, that will not necessarily determine what they were doing yesterday. Bears will feed in on a spot until they feel they have a more plentiful or secure option and will move long distances to exercise that option.

That said, September is somewhat late in the year for AK. I'd imagine the later you get in the fall the more likely bears are to diversify their pallet by necessity.
What a nothing burger. My ask is areas specific and a local is more likely to understand why timing is relevant.

if you hunt the alpine away from the salmon streams you should be getting into a good tasting bear. (replied on other forum also).

So coastal is basically a gamble even later in the year, and focus on alpine areas far away from salmon sources.

My understanding is the flavor of what their eating is stored in the fat and it takes some time for that flavor to be "pushed out" and replaced by their new food source. Hence the timing ask.

What a nothing burger. My ask is areas specific and a local is more likely to understand why timing is relevant
Even in a forum where providing specific locations was permitted, I'm unwilling to help people with specifics when they appear unwilling to understand the general behavior and biology of the animal.

I've killed a 16 year old bear in the alpine in Alaska in the fall. If you've killed bear in Alaska twice and don't understand the questions you're asking then refer to point one.

OP
Weber

Weber

Lil-Rokslider
There is no rule about specific areas. Alaska is a big place. I understand these animals better than you ever will, you're just not understanding the area in question. You're single Alpine bear isn't relevant to my question as its in a completely different habitat.

I've killed an 18 year old myself, in the fall. I've actually killed 3 black bears, (the third being a spring bear so less relevant to the thread). Find a new thread to troll man.

Salmon are readily available in PWS until around Late August/Early September where from there they begin to die off and save rotten fish or cannibalized bear, there is nothing else for food source in this area (unless you go further south to the islands where deer are available). Just berries. I'm asking about how long a bear is expected to be eating on berries before the fish taste is replaced. I imagine right now with there still being some rotten salmon available its not a good time. So looking for some sampling of time of year in this area where the fish taste has been extinguished.

Last edited:
I understand these animals better than you ever will, you're just not understanding the area in question.
I'll let the evidence speak for itself on that one.

And I've been to and hunted the area in question.

Good luck.

OP
Weber

Weber

Lil-Rokslider
I'll let the evidence speak for itself on that one.

And I've been to and hunted the area in question.

Good luck.
Good for you, I practically live there and have taken 20+ animals in the area. If you know something of bear fat that time of year by all means, share, if not then jog on guy.