Alaska black bear

Wireman07

WKR
I have a question about hunting black bear in the kenai peninsula. Curious on how some of you folks go about sleeping arrangements. Do most of you just pack camp in and sleep up on the mountain, or would there be enough time in the day to day hunt and return to a cabin that's by the highway? Looking for opinions as I would need to invest in more lightweight gear than I currently have for a backpack hunt. Thanks everyone!

Lots of day light. Are you going to run and gun and spot from the road, or are you going to hike up to a area and spot from up top? If I was doing it I would have a small tent or tarp and gear for 2 nights up top. If you see one bear and bust it out, there will probably be more in the area. That way if you hike up and it doesn't work out you can stay up high and glass and not worry about making it back to the truck before dark. If you don't see much after a day or so up top then go back to the truck and scope scope out a different area.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
Lots of day light. Are you going to run and gun and spot from the road, or are you going to hike up to a area and spot from up top? If I was doing it I would have a small tent or tarp and gear for 2 nights up top. If you see one bear and bust it out, there will probably be more in the area. That way if you hike up and it doesn't work out you can stay up high and glass and not worry about making it back to the truck before dark. If you don't see much after a day or so up top then go back to the truck and scope scope out a different area.

I'm honestly not sure how I am doing it yet. I just figured I'd ask and kind of see what the preferred method is. I was only thinking about day hunting because most of my camping gear isn't light and is bulky. Otherwise I'd have to invest in some lightweight gear, which is no big deal. Seems more advantageous just to pack in like you said, will be alot less hiking in general.

Not sure what month you are thinking of going but if it's august/septmeber for a berry bear chances are you won't see anything much colder then 35 to 40 at night if your up near the tops of mountains. Probably find a used tipi of some sort on here and a 20 degree bag and would be good. I am not sure what's required to be taken out for the bear (it's different in different areas) hide and skull for sure and I would take out the meat even if it's not required. With camp and thr skull hide and meat it's going to be 2 trips if it's only one hunter. My bear last year the quarters neck and back straps were around 65 pounds and the hide and skull was another 40 to 50. If it was me I would either glass from the road until I found something, or take one of the well used hiking trails up into the mountains and then branch off once you get into thr alpine.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Off the top of my head, the lightweight gear I would recommend (compare it to the weight of what you have, then calculate cost per ounce to upgrade). These are likely the areas were you can reduce the most weight.

Shelter: Seek Outside Silex (you should have trekking poles anyway) $209

Pad: NeoAir Xlite NXT $200

Bag: Marmot Phase 20 (it is tight, I hated mine and got a quilt, gave it to a friend and he loves it), or Enlightened Equipment Revelation (or Enigma) 20 degree quilt. About $350 for any of them

Cook system: Toaks TI pot and Soto Wind Burner stove (MSR pocket rocket is cheaper)

Find one of last seasons Rab Electron Pros for a puffy jacket ($220ish)

For water, I use one HDPE Nalgene, but a Powerade bottle will do, and two 3 liter hydrapak bladders with a hydrapak filter. Don't carry the full 6 L all the time, but having the option if you must drop a thousand or more feet for water is nice. Some ridge systems have plenty of water, and some are pretty dry.