Alaska based Paleo inspired dried meal source

Ray

WKR
A local Alaska girl is starting up her paleo based dried food business for backcountry eaters. Like all things paleo it's spendy. Thats why I make my own paleo based dried foods.

Her website:
http://www.heatherschoice.com/

Short article on her and the business
http://www.adn.com/article/20140925/paleo-go-anchorage-startup-makes-pre-packaged-trail-food-healthy

I'll have to give these a try. It has been over a decade since I ate a mountain house meal so I may not be able to make a decent comparison.

Floorguy

WKR
I will probably give these a try but...

What is an evolutionary sports nutritionist and certified psychology of eating coach? The second o e is more of a life coach for eating disorders from what I can find online, still not sure about the first on e though.

OP
Ray

Ray

WKR
Being a follower of Sisson for the last few years and keeping up with various things he discusses, I think "evolutionary sports nutritionist" is the current dietician term for paleo. Big, cheap words to make things sound less crazy. Robb Wolf has worked with a couple of universities to establish course work for evolutionary dietician programs. I do believe that the American Dietician Association has developed a certification program for paleo but don't know if they call it evolutionary rather than paleo.

As it turns out she built her degree at WWU through their interdisciplanery studies program. More info on Heather and her background
http://www.cavemancafeteria.com/introducing-our-in-house-evolutionary-nutritionist-heather-kelly/

bjaegers

Lil-Rokslider
I just found one of my new favorite back-county dehydrated paleo snacks. Weighs 4 oz and has 640 calories and 72 g of protein. Only $3.50 per bag has two ingredients pork rinds and salt. Try a bag of Mission Chicharrones.

Dehydrated paleo food is hard to come by in a meal form would like to give these a try.

Poser

WKR
I'd be interested in trying a couple of these myself. Why doesn't she have the nutritional and calorie information on the page? I'd like to know how many calories these meals are.

Poser

WKR
I found the calorie count in the FAQs. Looks like most meals are 600 calories with 40-50 grams of protein. Calorie wise, that is comparable to the MH etc, but with higher protein, which is good.
It also mentions that she'll be launching a high calorie line in the 900-1000 cal range. That could be very practical, especially for trips longer than 3-4 days.
Even though they are twice the price, I think I'll try a couple of these on a shorter trip this Fall. On longer trips, I'm more concerned with calories and nutritional content (staying healthy) then anything else, but for shorter trips, it might also be nice not to disrupt my diet with a bunch of grains and carbs.

Poser

WKR
I ordered a batch of these and the meals are really top notch. I usually don't do dehydrated chili but this one is actually very appealing. The Rancheros are great. Buckwheat breakfast is very "warming", filling, and non-sugary yet tasty. With the exception of the Sweet n Sour Pork, Mountain House meals are just too bland for me. Backpacker's Pantry has some meal combinations that sound more interesting to me, but they just don't deliver on flavor. I do like much of the Alpine Aire selection, but I see myself converting over to eating these Heather's Choice meals for the most part in the future as I can tell a significant difference in performance when eating nutrient rich food as opposed to empty calories.

OP
Ray

Ray

WKR
BTW - Heather is now attending the "farmers" market at the Sears Mall in ANC every wednesday afternoon in case anyone wants to pick up her products and not pay shipping within town.