Alaska/all around rifle

OP
H

hoff1ck

WKR
Perfect! Looks like you are all set. I got the goat in my profile pic with a Savage 270 a few years ago shooting 150gr partitions (I've since moved down to a suppressed 6.5 creedmoor for my last two mountain goats, and I'll be using the cm again this year).

Assuming you are a non-resident without close family in the state, you'll need a guide, so you may wish to check in with them.
Definitely something I’ll consider as well. In reading through the forum it seemed like the 270 was on the light end of recommendations for goat and a lot of guys recommended stainless/carbon fiber barrels for Alaska, so that’s what initially got me looking. I’m obviously a novice to this stuff though, so I appreciate the input. In speaking with the outfitter he likes a 300 win mag, but ultimately recommended a hard hitting caliber that can be shot accurately. He said average shots are within 200-300 yards.

OP
H

hoff1ck

WKR
The .270 will do everything you mentioned in your first post. If you compare ballistics between any of the cartridges you mentioned, I think that you will find that they are more alike than different within rrsonable hunting distances, this includes the .270.

So, you could spend $0 and use the rifle you have already and be confident that you are carrying a cartridge that has been doing everything you are asking for decades.

That being said, it would be downright hypocritical of me to advise you not to buy a new rifle if that is what you want. Just be aware that you would be getting it because you want to and not because you need to.
100% a want vs a need if I do buy something, but just rolling with my current 270 and upgrading the glass is something I’ll consider too.

Definitely something I’ll consider as well. In reading through the forum it seemed like the 270 was on the light end of recommendations for goat and a lot of guys recommended stainless/carbon fiber barrels for Alaska, so that’s what initially got me looking. I’m obviously a novice to this stuff though, so I appreciate the input. In speaking with the outfitter he likes a 300 win mag, but ultimately recommended a hard hitting caliber that can be shot accurately. He said average shots are within 200-300 yards.
Living in Alaska and having your rifle here year-round, especially on the coast, stainless is the way to go. But for flying in and staying a week for a hunt, a blued rifle is no problem, just lightly oil it before the trip and dry it well once you're back out of the field.

The 270 with a partition is plenty for getting the wound channel you'll need, and won't kick like a magnum so you can spend lots more time practicing it on the range and in the field before you go. Costs way less to shoot many rounds in practice, too.

elkmaster

FNG
I feel like I’ve exhausted the search function here and on google over the past few days and am still having trouble deciding on what route to take. Understand there’s plenty of opinions and options out there too.

As a bit of background I’m a bow hunter through and through. I own a few rifles, shoot occasionally, just never had a huge need otherwise because 90% of the time I’m shooting an arrow during the fall.

I have a mountain goat hunt planned for Kodiak island depending on when I draw, so the primary purpose for a new rifle will be goats in Alaska. That said, I also have points for elk, antelope and mule deer in various states. I bow hunt elk annually out west, but would be ok with returning to Wyoming/Montana with a rifle in the future when time allows. Future deer/antelope hunts would likely be rifle. Would like something I can take for goats, but then have as an option for these other future hunts too.

Feel like I’ve done the most reading on the 6.5/7mm PRC, 7mm rem mag and 280 AI. I’m not sure I’m far enough down the rabbit hole to have much of a budget yet, but for conversation purposes I’d guess up to 1500ish for the gun as needed. Talk to me about what you guys like, things to consider, etc. If there’s a thread close enough to mine that I’ve missed, feel free to point me there too. Appreciate it fellas.
I would get a Weatherby in 6.5-300

bascott1

WKR
Took my goat with a 270 wsm blued tikka. 150 grain fusions did the trick. Don’t over think it, your gun is beyond fine. Spend your money on stuff that’ll keep you in the game. (Boots, pack, RAIN GEAR)

OP
H

hoff1ck

WKR
Took my goat with a 270 wsm blued tikka. 150 grain fusions did the trick. Don’t over think it, your gun is beyond fine. Spend your money on stuff that’ll keep you in the game. (Boots, pack, RAIN GEAR)
I’m actually pretty squared away gear wise outside of upgrading rain gear. Like most of us I like to tinker, so that had me looking at rifles. Good to know what I have will work though if I decide to go that route too.

bascott1

WKR
I’m actually pretty squared away gear wise outside of upgrading rain gear. Like most of us I like to tinker, so that had me looking at rifles. Good to know what I have will work though if I decide to go that route too.
Nothing wrong with a new gun. So if you’re squared away grab a new rifle then.

Yes, be sure to research rain gear thoroughly. I recommend heavier than what is advertised as adequate. That will make a higher influence on your Kodiak experience than the rifle.

Regarding the rifle, there are so many cartridges that will perform very well, that I suggest you shop for your ideal rifle first, then select the chambering from those options. But in that department, there’s no reason not to move beyond the 30-06 and 270 if you want a new rifle. The modern ones are more likely to be more accurate for you with the tighter tolerances. Will you be hunting alone? If so, having something adequate for the kodiak bears should be considered.

Stainless and synthetic should be the materials for anything in kodiak. Cerakoted blued steel barrel will still rust inside. Utter reliability in dirty, wet, and cold conditions are important.

OP
H

hoff1ck

WKR
Yes, be sure to research rain gear thoroughly. I recommend heavier than what is advertised as adequate. That will make a higher influence on your Kodiak experience than the rifle.

Regarding the rifle, there are so many cartridges that will perform very well, that I suggest you shop for your ideal rifle first, then select the chambering from those options. But in that department, there’s no reason not to move beyond the 30-06 and 270 if you want a new rifle. The modern ones are more likely to be more accurate for you with the tighter tolerances. Will you be hunting alone? If so, having something adequate for the kodiak bears should be considered.

Stainless and synthetic should be the materials for anything in kodiak. Cerakoted blued steel barrel will still rust inside. Utter reliability in dirty, wet, and cold conditions are important.
Will be going guided, so guide will also have something for bear.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is my “all around” rifle. I’ve shot a few caribou with it. Hoping to do moose, brown bear and black tail deer this year (maybe a black bear if I get the chance). I’m also going to use it for an aoudad hunt in 2025.

Tikka t3x 30-06
-barrel cut to 18” and threaded for 5/8x24
-nightforce shv 3-10 scope/sportsmatch rings
-vertical grip module
-mtn gear pic rail/sling attachment (on the fence with that)
-limbsaver recoil pad
-high desert bottom metal

I’ve also sanded out the barrel channel pretty well, dropped it, shot it etc. in the picture it’s got my scythe Ti on it.

I get just over 2700fps with a 180g partition or a 180g accubond. Eventually I’ll experiment with the 168g ELDm or the 178g ELDx but not until I’m getting ready for the aoudad hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_7211.jpeg
    IMG_7211.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 22
This is my “all around” rifle. I’ve shot a few caribou with it. Hoping to do moose, brown bear and black tail deer this year (maybe a black bear if I get the chance). I’m also going to use it for an aoudad hunt in 2025.

Tikka t3x 30-06
-barrel cut to 18” and threaded for 5/8x24
-nightforce shv 3-10 scope/sportsmatch rings
-vertical grip module
-mtn gear pic rail/sling attachment (on the fence with that)
-limbsaver recoil pad
-high desert bottom metal

I’ve also sanded out the barrel channel pretty well, dropped it, shot it etc. in the picture it’s got my scythe Ti on it.

I get just over 2700fps with a 180g partition or a 180g accubond. Eventually I’ll experiment with the 168g ELDm or the 178g ELDx but not until I’m getting ready for the aoudad hunt.
Sweet rig Thinhorn!

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Took my Kodiak goat with Kimber mountain ascent 280 AI 162 gr eldx. 425 yds died on the spot. There are plenty of combinations which would serve the purpose that you seek. Reasonable supply of otc ammo available on the island between Big Ray’s and Kodiak Tactical should you lose yours in transport ( 280AI 160gr in stock at Big Ray’s last week when I was on island for example). Pick something that suits you, shoot it a bunch before you go, and good luck on your hunt.

AlBeartoe

FNG
30-06 is the way to go. Not only is it just a fabulous all around cartridge but when things go wrong and you need to find ammo I can assure you the most common caliber kicking around the old man’s boat, truck or garage will be 30-06.