Alaska Airlines vs. United

Northpark

WKR
Can’t speak to service out of Denver but Alaska airlines is my go to. Flew out of Phoenix to anchorage last spring with my rifle and came back with bear meat and halibut. Everything went very smooth and Alaska airlines is very used to transporting firearms and meat.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any experience with United. I have used Alaska a few times. Last August flew to Fairbanks with a change over in Seattle. My luggage and gun case was abused. I was looking out the window when the plane was loading in Seattle. I saw the handler sling my gun case 10 feet into the cargo holding followed by a loud bang from it hitting. When I opened the case a full box of ammo in the original box was damaged. The cardboard was tore and the rounds were out of the box. The gun case has the egg crate foam and everything was tight. When I checked the zero it was 24" off to the right. My new luggage was ripped and had grease all over it.
I don't let anyone touch my gun case on other trips but you have no choice when you must fly.

I fly Alaska Air through Seattle to Alaska often, and almost always with guns and frozen meat. Just make sure your layover is 45 minutes or more so your luggage has time to transfer.

OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks for all the input. Some very valid points on both sides. I'm going to go with Alaska. That United fiasco years ago left a bad taste and I suspect things haven't improved. Alaska treated me well on the last trip with my boxes of fish so will take the chance with Seattle. I'll have 1.5 to 2.5 hour layover in Seattle and will be in Anchorage 2 days before the hunt so they have time to get my bags/gun to me if it doesn't make the flight. Sucks that one needs to live with the uncertainty and apprehension.

I fly on Alaska over a 100,000 miles every year and typically with a firearm, from the east coast to Alaska and Idaho with zero issues.
Mark

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Flew to Fairbanks in May with a sidearm in my bow case and connected in Seattle. Had flights get canceled and rescheduled to go through Anchorage and thought forsure something would go missing in the end. Surprised when everything showed up in Fairbanks. Flying home was a breeze they are definitely used to having firearms go through them all the time. Will definitely fly with Alaska from now on

Spike elk

WKR
Alaska Airlines took care of me last summer no problems. Checked a handgun and had a layover in Seattle.

OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
Got my ticket on Alaska Air. Boy things have changed in the past few years. Extra $$$ for checked bags, extra $$$ for 'premium' seating, and I did spend $86 for travel insurance since the trip isn't until late May. Never bought insurance before, but thought with all the Covid craziness, it's better to have it.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Great info here. I was just wondering the same, but flying out of MSP.

Fly with AK with confidence out of MSP. We go to AK fishing every summer and I’ve never had an issue getting back hundreds of pounds of fish over the years. Never have had an issue, same to Hawaii.

My experience (using both airlines) is that it depends on agents at the desk. Sometimes great, sometimes terrible.

I’d almost say if you can do direct, DO IT. Less messing around. Less chance of delays.

Get there super early on both ends to avoid testing your patience.

That way you can get everything checked and simply relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
With the current state of air travel I’d strongly recommend a direct flight. Over the past few years I’ve had no shortage of troubles with luggage and connecting flight issues, and in my last job I traveled a lot.

I’ve flown on both United and Alaska, although I’ve flown on United a lot over the past few years. I just finished an assignment in Germany and was making regular runs between Frankfurt and Dulles or Frankfurt and Chicago on United without issue. Just took a flight to Belize on United as well without issue.

The familiarity with outdoor-related items really has more to do with the specific airport than the airline. I don’t think you can go wrong with either airline, but I’d definitely give preference to the direct flight with all other things being equal.

100% accurate. I have traveled every 2 weeks back and forth, to and fro through Den and SEA to ANC the last 3 years straight.

When I miss the DEN to ANC timing wise I go through SEA via AK Air. Both are fine, both have issues at times. Go the direct and you will be there in one shot and reduce problems.

I also agree with the idea of the regional airport and airport staff more influential in checked bags/guns/skins and skulls. ANC and Kodiak and most of AK are are dialed in with hunting and firearm transport.

TSA in ANC and kodiak are all familiar with hides, skulls and guns. Keep the hide under 100lbs and can be checked. I also have carried on skulls through TSA with no issues(sheep, bear).

For this go United DEN-ANC-DEN. In Alaska AK air is the way.

One issue with United is baggage transfer. They don’t like to transfer baggage from Inited to any other carrier. Check if that is the case where you final destination is.