Alaska Airlines vs. United

wyosteve

WKR
Here's my dilemma- looking to book a flight from Denver to Anchorage w/ firearm. Alaska Airlines runs everything with 1 stop in Seattle. United has a non-stop flight both ways. However, I had a shitshow with United in 1999 flying to a bear hunt in Edmonton and swore I'd never use them again (and I haven't). l've used Alaska before with good results, but not with a firearm. Has anyone had a recent experience with either of these that would help me decide. I'll hopefully be bringing a bear skull and hide back with me if that makes any difference. Oh, the price is very similar with both options, so that's not a deciding factor. Thanks for any help.

Fordguy

WKR
United has been pretty worthless and even underhanded from my personal experience. I would choose any other available airline.

Alaska Airlines out of Denver has been easy for me on two occasions. The firearm is TSA and was also easy in Denver.

Depending when your trip is, there are non-stop DIA to ANC flights.

Seattle sucks.

Alaska airlines has seen everything put on a plane that used to swim, fly or roam the earth in great to questionable packing jobs.

Firearms outside of meat is what Alaska transports. Anchorage TSA firearm dropoff has some things to be desired but that's an airport issue.

Now the crazy prices they have been charging recently is another story 😂

OP
W

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks guys. I've been leaning toward Alaska, but the stop in Seattle is just one more potential for baggage/firearm issues. I'll probably end up going with Alaska since, as mentioned, they are used to flying parts of critters! The last time I went through Anchorage, my bear hide was in a duffel as checked baggage and I took the frozen skull in my carry-on and never raised an eyebrow from the security folks, but that was all pre-9/11!

Btaylor

WKR
Thanks guys. I've been leaning toward Alaska, but the stop in Seattle is just one more potential for baggage/firearm issues. I'll probably end up going with Alaska since, as mentioned, they are used to flying parts of critters! The last time I went through Anchorage, my bear hide was in a duffel as checked baggage and I took the frozen skull in my carry-on and never raised an eyebrow from the security folks, but that was all pre-9/11!
I bet you could get your oil checked if you tried that now.

My dad just retired but spent the last 25 years of his career flying every couple of weeks. International about half the time.

He always preferred United, and I inherited that.

MattB

WKR
Alaska has only ever failed me once and bent over backwards to make it right when they did.

United has f'ed me on every flight I've taken on their airline save for one. Even made me buy a second ticket at the gate once when I already had my boarding pass in hand. Another time made me lock my bow case which is not required and almost caused me to miss my flight.

Last edited:
i always fly alaska. had a stop in Seattle on the way back from mn once and had no issues with the gun. I tell ya what when we flew alaska from anc to kodiak this year there had to be atleast 35 gun cases getting handed out to the owners. it was crazy! I was one of the last people to be called and didnt hear anyone freaking out that their gun didnt make it. There has to be more guns on flights to kodiak in october then any other civilian planes.

AKBorn

WKR
Alaska all the way. Your gun case and other checked baggage will be checked straight through to your final destination in AK, you won't have to deal with it in Seattle.

I have been flying up to AK with firearms since 2002, tried going with United ONE time instead of Alaska. Never again.

I do Denver to Anchorage (and from there to other locations) every fall with a friend. Have used both with 2 rifles, 2 handguns and ammo jam packed in a rifle case and usually some variation of meat, hide, fish, or skulls in coolers on the return. Haven't had an issue with either (knock on wood). My heart is with AA but if price is similar I'll take the united direct flight every time - especially on the red eye return trip!

I just flew from IAD to DEN with United for my deer hunt and had no issues. In fact with you show up to check you bags and you tell them you have a firearm you go to the front of the line :) . I think it's just a roll of the dice.

cnelk

WKR
Alaska Airlines gets my vote also.

Seattle stop is always something to watch out for tho. That place sucks

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
With the current state of air travel I’d strongly recommend a direct flight. Over the past few years I’ve had no shortage of troubles with luggage and connecting flight issues, and in my last job I traveled a lot.

I’ve flown on both United and Alaska, although I’ve flown on United a lot over the past few years. I just finished an assignment in Germany and was making regular runs between Frankfurt and Dulles or Frankfurt and Chicago on United without issue. Just took a flight to Belize on United as well without issue.

The familiarity with outdoor-related items really has more to do with the specific airport than the airline. I don’t think you can go wrong with either airline, but I’d definitely give preference to the direct flight with all other things being equal.

hiker270

WKR
Direct flight is definitely the way to go. Have not had a problem with United transporting firearms. Have no idea about the bear skull/hide. If your flying with firearms in an unfriendly gun state or city people freak out when your firearms are inspected to make sure they're not loaded.