Alaska air baggage

280rem

FNG
I’m leaving Monday and wanted to do a quick run over alaska air baggage policies. Unfortunately I found that there appears to be some very bad news here. Baggage fees have increased for one, 3rd bag is now $150 and also says they can charge multiple fees if oversized or over weight. These are new changes for tickets purchased after June 30th 2023, which mine are, I used miles to get tickets 5 or 6 weeks ago. But any way, I see this being an enormous game changer in the future for some people’s plans of getting meat and hides/racks back home vs how you use to could do it. Or in my case of trying ti get a ton of gear for my wife and I up and back. I’m driving an extra 2 hours to an airport to utilize alaska airs what use to be very generous baggage policy. Interested to hear other’s feedback on what they are encountering checking in on flights. Unfortunately we run into Bidenomics everywhere we turn!

wyosteve

WKR
Personally, I'm willing to pay the extra fee for the convenience of bringing things back vs. air cargo or some other method.

keller

WKR
Also they say only 1 full set of antlers per flight. But was told it depends on room . Third and up bags. $150 each.overweight additional $100 each. over size additional $150 each

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
I was shocked to learn that to/from Kodiak is 2 bags maximum. On return if carrying meat/hide/antlers (or horns) and maybe a fish box, I'm screwed with pack and rifle!
From the restrictions:
Kodiak (ADQ)
January 1–December 31
(Applicable to all tickets purchased on/after March 1, 2023
No more than 2 checked bags per person
Additional baggage may be checked and accepted on a standby, space-available basis. You will be notified by Alaska Airlines to return to the airport to pick up standby baggage when it arrives.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Be nice at ticket counter - and “sometimes” that is rewarded with waived fees etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this. Gate agents at the smaller AK airports can be really understanding. You may also want to explore shipping meat/cape/horns via AK air cargo. If you can freeze it, put it in fish boxes, there's no weight restriction. They will keep it frozen until you pick it up at your destination. It helps if you live by your airport.

Last edited:

Slugz

WKR
Just made the trip from Denver to Fairbanks.
Easy from departure to arrival.
I got the tickets before the increase.

Secret sauce is to get the credit card for the bags and companion fare.

Become a member of One World if possible to use those benefits.

Last edited:
We are also leaving on Monday. Checked today and it looked like bags were $30 for first, $40 for 2nd, and $100 or $150 depending on when the ticket was purchased. Planning to use a butcher up there if successful, and Wildlife gallery for euro-mount if really successful.

Good luck on your hunt!

Yeup, I noticed the table below in the confirmation email when I booked my most recent trip.
3E8AD081-75D0-4323-B3A7-C67894439082.jpeg696A15D3-8DE4-406E-9E53-BAF4DFFA5234.jpeg
No more than 2 checked bags per person
Additional baggage may be checked and accepted on a standby, space-available basis. You will be notified by Alaska Airlines to return to the airport to pick up standby baggage when it arrives.
This has been their rule for the last few years to a lot of villages. They ask at check in which of the bags are your priority and for you to choose the others for potential standby. I just put my firearm case on potential standby if needed. Federal law states that your firearm must fly with you, so all bags arrive. I used to put a pistol in every checked bag bag in the Penn Air days when they were notorious for leaving most bags behind.

You may also want to explore shipping meat/cape/horns via AK air cargo. If you can freeze it, put it in fish boxes, there's no weight restriction. They will keep it frozen until you pick it up at your destination. It helps if you live by your airport.
This used to be a solid route. I do know of a guy that went this route for his moose last year. It arrived thawed out. He realized later they also gave him a 50# box of thawed halibut fillets (he never shipped halibut fillets). It’s still an OK route because of how limited things are. All options certainly have their pros and cons.

AK Airlines has slowly been making their way on my shit list. From losing $600 worth of tent poles a couple years ago to stranding us in Seattle for 24+ hrs with a 4yo, 1yo, and no luggage or car seats last month. I’ve about had enough of em.

Yup, no matter the cost AK air is charging, it will still be cheaper than paying an Expediter. Concur with the saying of "Cost of doing business."

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Just made the trip from Denver to Fairbanks.
Easy from departure to arrival.
I got the tickets before the increase.

Secret sauce is to get the credit card for the bags and companion fare.

Become a member of One World if possible to use those benefits.
What are the benefits with One World?

Yup, no matter the cost AK air is charging, it will still be cheaper than paying an Expediter. Concur with the saying of "Cost of doing business."
Man, it's getting close though.

6 items of meat/antlers = $900 of baggage fees plus cost of boxes/coolers and time and PITA of running around and packing.

AK trophy express = $950 delivered to a location likely less than a few hours from home. Just get out of the field and drop the meat and head off and be done with it for a month. Maybe $50 extra cost for freezer space rental for a few weeks.

Man, it's getting close though.

6 items of meat/antlers = $900 of baggage fees plus cost of boxes/coolers and time and PITA of running around and packing.

AK trophy express = $950 delivered to a location likely less than a few hours from home. Just get out of the field and drop the meat and head off and be done with it for a month. Maybe $50 extra cost for freezer space rental for a few weeks.
Freezer space in Fairbanks just cost me $175. I do agree, everything gone up and getting pretty close.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Just booked for 2027 recently. Cant wait to find out how much things will increase at that time!

Dhosera

FNG
Who'd you use in Fairbanks for "Freezer Service"? I wanted to use Trophy Express and couldn't get anyone to accept my Moose & Bou quarters and hold them till they could be picked up by AK Trophy Express on the day they were accepting in Fairbanks. I was told only if I paid them to process the entire animals, they'd hold it till they picked it up. But then who gets it from the "Freezer Service" to AK Trophy Express on their pickup day in Fairbanks?

Who'd you use in Fairbanks for "Freezer Service"? I wanted to use Trophy Express and couldn't get anyone to accept my Moose & Bou quarters and hold them till they could be picked up by AK Trophy Express on the day they were accepting in Fairbanks. I was told only if I paid them to process the entire animals, they'd hold it till they picked it up. But then who gets it from the "Freezer Service" to AK Trophy Express on their pickup day in Fairbanks?
Tannery