AKU Boots

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Looking into a non insulated hunting/hiking boots and waterproof. AKU Selvetica has a small sale and reviews look good. Also Lowa Renegade GTX Mid. Anyone familiar with this brand. I am in Florida, so this is where they will be used. Or if anyone has any other recommendations let me know. I'm looking in the 150 tops range or less.

Last edited:
I have the Aku superlaps. I really like them. Like them enough I may look at Selvetica for the clear our price their offering.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Aku superlaps. I really like them. Like them enough I may look at Selvetica for the clear our price their offering.
I went to a local REI. They had the renegade and I really liked them. I knew they wouldn't match the price Lowa had on their site, so had to pass. Lowa didn't have the size I needed in stock either so that's a bummer. Since that wasn't an option I went with the AKU Selvetica the mud and lime color that's on sale. Looking forward to getting them and start hunting/hiking around. Reviews seem ok, is worth a shot.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used AKU Pilgrims and Spider IIs for early to mid season both out west and in the SE, outstanding boots. For the price range you’re looking at, unless you catch something on a closeout, brands like Asolo, Keen, Salomon, etc are going to be a good fit for synthetic boots that will breathe in Florida weather and won’t require much break in. I’ve had a pile of Asolo boots over the years and would recommend them with the caveat that I replace the factory insoles with a basic aftermarket drop-in.

My Google-Fu found these in .02 seconds…had my pair for a few years and they are still going strong with near daily wear.
1712804538957.jpeg

I went to a local REI. They had the renegade and I really liked them. I knew they wouldn't match the price Lowa had on their site, so had to pass. Lowa didn't have the size I needed in stock either so that's a bummer. Since that wasn't an option I went with the AKU Selvetica the mud and lime color that's on sale. Looking forward to getting them and start hunting/hiking around. Reviews seem ok, is worth a shot.
Right on. I ended up ordering a pair of the mud and lime as well. See how they go. Hard to get anything for $100cdn anymore now a days.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Right on. I ended up ordering a pair of the mud and lime as well. See how they go. Hard to get anything for $100cdn anymore now a days.
Did you get your boots? I got mine and seem ok. I used the guide on the website and then added a thumb. I would say the guide is good, but I would add a thumb and size is perfect in my opinion. My left boot fits perfect. My right boot is a little tight by the toe cup area in the front, but not bad. As it gets broken in it should stretch and be fine. Other than that one little thing, I like the boots. Not bad for $100. But well see how the durability amd wear is over time. The bottom tread has some grip that's for sure. I shouldn't have much issues with durability(hope at least) other than palmetto and thorns. Florida is pretty flat.

Did you get your boots? I got mine and seem ok. I used the guide on the website and then added a thumb. I would say the guide is good, but I would add a thumb and size is perfect in my opinion. My left boot fits perfect. My right boot is a little tight by the toe cup area in the front, but not bad. As it gets broken in it should stretch and be fine. Other than that one little thing, I like the boots. Not bad for $100. But well see how the durability amd wear is over time. The bottom tread has some grip that's for sure. I shouldn't have much issues with durability(hope at least) other than palmetto and thorns. Florida is pretty flat.
Mine arrived yesterday as well. I'm from BC, canada, so these will be more of my day to day hikers than my hunting boots. First impressions were nice, excited to take them out on the trail and see how they feel. A tad tight on one foot, but a little stretch should solve that problem.

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Mine arrived yesterday as well. I'm from BC, canada, so these will be more of my day to day hikers than my hunting boots. First impressions were nice, excited to take them out on the trail and see how they feel. A tad tight on one foot, but a little stretch should solve that problem.
Interesting the same thing. I was able to stretch the one boot with blow dryer and a couple pairs of thicker socks. I used them for a few hours today while walking around scouting and placing feeders around. Seem to be good for the money. I don't think they are insulated, but they seem to be on the warmer side. Maybe it's me though. So far I give 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Not insulated for sure. They are waterproof with a Goretex lining. This will usually make boots run a little hot but a trade off to keeping them dry.

Spent a hour walking around the wood with the kids yesterday. Felt good but will need some break in time. Happy with the purchase though. Was quite certain Aku wouldn't disappoint.

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting the same thing. I was able to stretch the one boot with blow dryer and a couple pairs of thicker socks. I used them for a few hours today while walking around scouting and placing feeders around. Seem to be good for the money. I don't think they are insulated, but they seem to be on the warmer side. Maybe it's me though. So far I give 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Are you talking tight in the toe box?

OP
FLHunter87

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Are you talking tight in the toe box?
Yes. The big toe knuckle and that area was a little tight. It's all good now though. They are comfortable. Laces are long, so I may get shorter ones. Personal preference. Great boots for the price though.