AK vs AR

Teaman1

WKR
Strictly talking SHTF in this crazy world today. How do you guys feel about AK vs AR platforms. No long range shooting for this gun, just fun and target practice.

11boo

WKR
I have both. AR hands down. If I need to turn cover into concealment, my 7.62 AR.

AKs have their place, but it’s not for me.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Finding ammo would definitely be easier for the 5.56, .223. Bulk ammo seems to be a little cheaper for the 7.62x39. Already have an sks though, so maybe I should buy an AR

Mt Al

WKR
AR, parts and support galore. Can't imagine how many retirement funds have been blown on setting up AR "shops" and accessory companies. Ammo is hip deep in spite of the recent/not so recent shortage.

I have both. Started as an only AK guy and slowly migrated into ARs. The reality is with SHTF, if you burn through so much ammo that you need to scrounge for ammo and parts, you’re probably not going to live long so I don’t think that is a major factor.

The AK (good AKs, not the US made ones) will last longer and be more durable. They can literally be rusted shut, kicked open, and ready to fire. There is a video of a YouTuber melting a barrel on a torture test to the point that it droops too low to function. They then bend the barrel back into place with a hammer and park bench and keep going.

ARs can be lighter. Work better with optics. CAN be more accurate (not always). They are obviously easier to customize to fit your needs and body.

You can’t go wrong with either. The only wrong answer is not having at least one lol.

JG358

WKR
SHTF ....I'll grab the 556 AK. It will run far longer than any AR I have including my SBR and I can use all the AR dudes mags and ammo. Anything short of end of the work kinda event, I prefer AR platforms

Do a survey of how many are out there and how much ammo is available. Answer is obvious, thought I’d advocate buying both in case I’m wrong 🤣.

I have owned quite a few of each.. Strictly SHTF, AK hands down. Ar's are great weapons, but require more care to continually fire. Ak's can literally not be cleaned for ages and still fire and they have some serious fire power with a 123gr. bullet vs on average a 55gr. I actually prefer the recoil of an AK over an AR as well. When it come to precision, I will take an AR every time. I also really like the AR platform for the parts and different calibers you can make out of them. 300 Blackout is such a cool round and really shines when it is subsonic with a can on the barrel.

Porterka

FNG
My preference is AR but that is based upon experience carrying one. I don’t think you can go wrong either way. The majority of militaries through out the world have carried one or the other for the last 50 years don’t think you can go wrong either way.

TTurboEE

FNG
My go to would be the AR platform, customizable to user preferences and needs to nearly no end. Parts and ammo can be acquired easily from just about everywhere. May not be as robust in some aspects as an AK but if you know your weapon and can maintain/service it I see no advantage personally in a SHTF scenario. The AR platform in some configurations is lighter, more maneuverable, accurate, and you can carry more rounds.

I think when you talk about the AR folks generally think/assume you’re talking 5.56/223. There are more configurations for the AR than the AK. Is it better? I think it depends, neither one does you any good if you train to be proficient with it. I prefer the AR, for a variety of reasons. I’m not a fan of the AK, because I don’t care for the ergonomics and it was usually what dudes carried to shoot at me. So maybe I’m a bit bias.

ncstewart

WKR
I’m not a fan of the AK, because I don’t care for the ergonomics and it was usually what dudes carried to shoot at me. So maybe I’m a bit bias. [/QUOTE]

Yep!AK are for communists.... for real tho if shtf and I’m in the states I’ll take AR cause parts are plentiful and so is ammo. If I’m in a crap hole aka anywhere else in the world I might consider a commy gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk