AK Moose/Caribou Planning and Gear Lessons Learned

Slugz

WKR
In the spirit of helping others Im gonna start this thread and keep it updated till Sept this year. Ive learned a ton from others here and it just shows with a little respect for other humans, everyone can learn something. That being said a little background info.

Im 53 and hoping to go to AK every other year god willing to either hunt or fish. Our caribou hunt in 21 got canx. ( pretty sure thats well documented here) 23 we have a moose hunt and we are already planning caribou 25.

Gonna try and keep this thread to topics and lessons learned from planning, gear choices, gear testing and my opinion of what was learned.

Please dont ask who, where etc etc we are hunting just as a courtesy to keep this on track.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Dry sack waterproof bags.
We have tried a ton ( summer fishing trips over the years) and so far the ones that have lasted are the Sea to Summit and NRS Billy Bags.

Both depending on size can be used as luggage bags, raft bags or smaller sizes packed in a plane. Billy Bags are a little more heavy duty and the 110L and bigger have two handles.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Kifaru Packs
Ive worn out my shoulder straps and belt over the years. 6 years to be exact. In the end it packed out 3 to 5 elk or moose each year in the lower 48 and a handfull of deer and antelope. Most loads were in the 60lb range.

I went up to Riverton yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that both shoulder straps and belts are warranty items so free.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Mountain House Chicken in a Can
Awesome to add for more protein in ramen, soup etc etc. Endless possibilities and light. Nice to have red meat, fish and chicken in camp.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Peax Gear.
If your in the market for a headlamp and or gaiters check them out. We have tried a ton and these both built well and work well.
I got their Stiks this year so after a few packouts will let ya know how they worked.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Ill keep adding to this every couple days all year.

bmrfish

WKR
Some MVP gear from our Alaska moose and caribou expeditions to stay comfortable and hunt hard under challenging conditions.
Silnylon tarp to glass from under in the rain.
Fold up backpacking chairs - moose hunting is a game of patience and we spend hours per day sitting. The chairs get us up above the weeds and keep it comfortable.
Fold up light weight backpacking cot. Sleep in comfort above the boggy ground.
Fold up toilet seat with legs. Simple pleasures, back saver.
Bow saw - cut meat poles & firewood.
Inreach with gps - stay in touch with transporter, schedules are at the mercy of conditions and always changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyril

FNG
Okay, so I have a question for you more experienced guys. Western Alaska 9/12-9/23, ridge to hunt. Tent, cot, Z pad and zero degree western mountaineering bag. What R rating for pad? I can bring either exped ultra 5R or exped ultra 3R. Weight is tight and I don't have experience sleeping on a cot.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, so I have a question for you more experienced guys. Western Alaska 9/12-9/23, ridge to hunt. Tent, cot, Z pad and zero degree western mountaineering bag. What R rating for pad? I can bring either exped ultra 5R or exped ultra 3R. Weight is tight and I don't have experience sleeping on a cot.
0 degree is way overkill for september in Alaska. I am using a torso length z rest and 30 degree quilt in those temps. Youl’ll be fine with 3r

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
When sleeping on a cot with a down bag, you'll be in a better zone going with a higher R rated pad.

I hunt Western Alaska every fall, mid to late September. I have a WM Badger (15 degree bag) and a Helinox cot, and I always bring a pad with R-5 or higher...I won't go lower, and R-7 is most common for me. The down completely compresses underneath you with a down bag, and when you're on a cot, there is cold air circulating beneath you all nite. You've got to go higher pad R value, regardless of your bag rating...or you will likely sleep cold.

BTW...the cot is a great idea because it really helps even the ground when on tundra.

Last edited:
Not sure what kind of cot you got going.but if it's more then 7 pounds there are lighter options that will save you way more weight then going with the lighter pad. For 90 bucks you can get a cot that's pretty dang light compared to the typical base camp style cot. You could also spend $300 on a helinox. Buddy and I bought marchaway cots on amazon and they worked great last year.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
We run a R7 pad all year around. Adjust the sleeping bag to the month. I always go one sleeping bag warmer than I think I need. If I get hot open it up.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Repair of your high end gear.
Accidents happen. Burn holes, tears etc etc.
Ruggedthread.com can fix pretty much anything from down items to jacket to tents.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Getting meat back.
After all the research its clear there is multiple ways to do this. I believe it all comes down to personal preference and how much on the pain the ass scale you want to go vs paying for it. Seems there is a balance generally speaking. That being said some common themes come up.

- If you can get a AK moose cape back to the lower 48 in good shape. Do it regardless of if you use it or not.
- Caribou sized game lends itself to the bring it back yourself in 50 lb boxes on the plane. Plenty of ways to lower the price with different credit card programs. Read the fine print though depending on airline to optimize the weight allowable vs cost of extra bags.
- Moose sized game is another story that you can go to either end of the spectrum. Based upon research and first hand accounts it would appear.....get it out of the field, break it down yourself ( Air BNB is an option) pack it up yourself and go AK Air cargo known shipper. Plenty of other ways to do this as this may not be an option for all. This seems to be the best balance though of cost vs redass.

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
I'll throw a few numbers in here that may help with decisions.

A large bull moose, boned out, will yield about 600 pounds of meat.

We usually bring out good bull capes even though doing a European as the capes are easily sold. The last green cape I weighed was 82 pounds.

For bone saws, the Stanley Sharptooth is incredible and inexpensive and will cut tent stakes or firewood.

I hunt ridge tops [3K ft] in Eastern Alaska and have experienced -20F in mid September. It is possible! I've also experienced winds that may have been near 100 mph as it was recorded at 114 mph in nearby village where it blew houses off the foundations. Both exceptions but food for thought.

0 degree is way overkill for september in Alaska. I am using a torso length z rest and 30 degree quilt in those temps. Youl’ll be fine with 3r
I fall in this camp. Only you know how you sleep, but 0 degrees is a beefy bag for September. Hunted moose from King Salmon to Kotz and use the same 15 degree bag and Klymit static V pad (1.3R) and almost always just use the bag as a blanket. Plenty of mornings down into the single digits and never needed more. Even for November and February Kodiak trips that's what I bring with an added liner.

Between that and warm items I always bring (down tops and bottoms, polar fleece, LJs, wool socks, etc.); I'd be plenty safe for a couple nights below zero if for some reason that would happen. And if for some reason that was going to be the norm, it would be reflected in the forecast and I'd plan accordingly. A couple times when the forecast has been trending colder, I packed this particular bag liner but have never used it. https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...5bab762b0372bb10f1b&utm_term=4584619898636639

For what it's worth, the last 2 trips I've used a cheap Thermarest Z-Lite pad. With that being said, I am upgrading my pad this year and will go with a higher R rating.... not because I was cold but just because.

**A lightweight chair would be awesome! Didn't have one the last 2 trips but definitely will on the next.

**Wading pants and boots are a must have.

**Bring food you enjoy eating and bring a variety
. My father and uncle brought a bunch of protein bars... those got old real fast! Last year my cousin brought an ungodly amount of peanuts & payday bars. He can't hardly eat peanuts anymore lol

**If you're worried about judging a moose to be 50" get a scope with a reticle that you can measure with. I've had guys show me pictures of legal bulls they passed up because they didn't have 4 brow tines and wasn't sure they were 50" bulls. When I looked at one of the guys videos he had a mid 60s bull he passed up and went home empty handed because he wasn't sure. It's not hard to do and moose USUALLY give you time to measure and calculate.

100 yds & 50 moa = 1 x 50 = 50"

200 yds & 25 moa = 2 x 25 = 50"

370 yds & 15 moa = 3.7 x 15 = 55.5"

554 yds & 9 moa = 5.54 x 9 moa = 49.86"

This is the reticle on my Zeiss V4
reticle.jpg