AK Final Recommendations

VernAK

WKR
Joe and I were chatting at a Fairbanks gun show and I commented about the old photo of him with his Chesapeake Bay Retriever.....a beautiful dog! I told him about the chessies I had in my younger days and how they retrieved waterfowl in cold, rough water. Joe told of how his Chessie retrieved seals for him.......back in the day. Now that is a retriever.

Sorry we sabotaged your thread but when we get Joe on here, it pays to listen as he's a wealth of knowledge and shares it freely.

OP
L
This has turned into a great thread. Still have not sent a deposit in quite yet. I sure am getting close.

I’ll be sure to update everyone here with the details when I am booked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on man, good luck and I hope ya have a great hunt. Nothing like sheep hunting in Alaska, it gets in your blood.
A little motivation for all the sheep hunters out there from one of my favorite hunts.

Last edited:

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like OP has finalized his decision so not meaning to hijack, but does anybody have anything good or bad to say about Chuck Mcmahan out of Gakona?

Chuck has been guiding out of Gakona his entire life. His father before him and both of his sons following suite presently. You'd be hunting with Johnny or Bryan (Chuck's sons), possibly both of them in a concession in the Wrangells. Small outfit, no flashy website, not sure if they advertise at all, they don't have to. The most sheep hunters I can recall them taking in a year is 6. They have close to a 100% success average over the years. You won't find better people, pilots or guides. Full disclosure, Bryan was my best bud growing up so I'm biased. My cousin is a packer for them each fall as well.

PM me if you want to get specific with questions.

OP
L
Thanks for everyone’s input. I sent off my deposit for 2022 with Dave Morris and Arctic Alaska!

I am excited for what Dave had to offer and really liked the fact he would be the one guiding my hunt.

With any luck I will get moved up and go August 2021 :)

Bring on the training and daydreaming!!!

Pmarquard

FNG
Chuck has been guiding out of Gakona his entire life. His father before him and both of his sons following suite presently. You'd be hunting with Johnny or Bryan (Chuck's sons), possibly both of them in a concession in the Wrangells. Small outfit, no flashy website, not sure if they advertise at all, they don't have to. The most sheep hunters I can recall them taking in a year is 6. They have close to a 100% success average over the years. You won't find better people, pilots or guides. Full disclosure, Bryan was my best bud growing up so I'm biased. My cousin is a packer for them each fall as well.

PM me if you want to get specific with questions.
Hello do you think you could send me the contact info or email for this outfitter. Very interested in a Dall sheep hunt for 2027. thank you

Pmarquard

FNG
Thanks for everyone’s input. I sent off my deposit for 2022 with Dave Morris and Arctic Alaska!

I am excited for what Dave had to offer and really liked the fact he would be the one guiding my hunt.

With any luck I will get moved up and go August 2021 :)

Bring on the training and daydreaming!!!

Hello. How did you do on your Dall Sheep hunt with Artic Alaska? I would really appreciate your experience. thanks

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello do you think you could send me the contact info or email for this outfitter. Very interested in a Dall sheep hunt for 2027. thank you
They’re no longer guiding sheep hunts. Population and ram quality isn’t there to support guide operations. Before success rates dipped, they made the decision to step away from sheep.

Pmarquard

FNG
They’re no longer guiding sheep hunts. Population and ram quality isn’t there to support guide operations. Before success rates dipped, they made the decision to step away from sheep.
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any recommendations for Dall Sheep hunting in the future. Areas or outfitter you would recommend? I was thinking on going in 2027. Thank you