AK Coastal Black Bear Gear

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve lived and worked in remote fly in and boat in logging camps on POW for many years. Waders are good, just avoid neoprene. I prefer taller hip boots. I know the big attraction of this hunt to people from Outside is the whole boat skiff thing. I get it. But in all my years working there, most of the bigger bears weren’t killed or seen out on the flats. I know, disappointing. my two seven footers were taken well inland, maybe half mile to a mile. Depending on where you hunt, tides, size of skiff, bad water chop, weather, you may lose time.
Wool shirts, wool sweaters and good cork boots were essential to me.

I’ve only done two SE near hunts, one drop off and one live on board a big boat. This is the exact advice I’d give from those experiences. You need footwear you can hike and climb in. They aren’t all on the beach.

I cannot imagine doing one of those hunts with anything neoprene.

I’ve gone away from wool to synthetic but know how to later either and you are going to be good.

Lori C.

FNG
Doing a coastal black bear hunt in SE AK this spring - last full week of April. It’s boat based - living on the boat and then stalking bears along the coastline. For all of you who’ve done this before, what sort of gear would you recommend? Waders essential? Ideal pack size? Etc. Any help appreciated!
Sims waders and Kuiu rain gear. Yukon is great!

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Simms G3s are the wader of choice for me. And I've gone through a lot of waders, including their more expensive models.

They have to fit. If they don't fit, all other characteristics are irrelevant. Simms makes the most sizes, especially in the G3.