AK Caribou Float Suggestions

Paulcobb

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hoping for some first-hand knowledge/suggestions for a good caribou float hunt in AK. I did a diy drop hunt a couple years ago out of kotz. with a disappointing air charter service. (dropping multiple groups of hunters on a small lake void of any caribou)

I would like to organize and book another diy hunt with our group of 3, but instead try a float hunt for our next trip. Our group is experienced in rafting and annually hunt elk in the backcountry using rafts.

Im hoping someone here has some experience with an outfitter that can provide transport/raft rental on a quality section of river. Avoiding other hunters would be nice after my last experience and will likely rule out most of the sections of river with “road drop” access points.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Hire Larry Bartlett of Pristine Ventures and set yourself up for success. It may not be within your timeline, but his reputation will insure the trip he puts together for you will meet your expectations.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Hire Larry Bartlett of Pristine Ventures and set yourself up for success. It may not be within your timeline, but his reputation will insure the trip he puts together for you will meet your expectations.

Larry Bartlett is the man to talk to.
Yes and yes...and also strong encouragement from me to talk with LB as well. Given what you are seeking, I am confident that he will dial you into a great adventure.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Right now the three herds to focus on are the Fortymile, Central Arctic and Porcupine herds. The Western Arctic has great options but currently having some herd dynamic and political struggles, but if planning for a few years out then keep this herd on your radar.

The actual float option depends a lot on your expectations, goals and experience. The more popular the herd the more people in those GMUs in concentrate pockets. The easiest rivers in the huntable zones are the most crowded, so if you hear about them they'll likely have other groups. If that doesn't bother your group then you'll find a decent float within each of those herds boundaries.

It's not safe etiquette to toss out river names online, so don't expect nuggets that way from hunters. Either contact some pilots for those herds and gather intel or hit guys up via PM or email for bumps in the right direction.

Oftentimes it's not about the location as much as whether you can secure a good pilot to book with the year you want to hunt. If planning today then you'll likely secure avail service for 2023 or '24, but some '25.

OP
Paulcobb

Paulcobb

Lil-Rokslider
thanks everyone for your suggestions, Larry must be doing something right for such a loyal following. I’ll be getting in touch shortly.

VernAK

WKR
Right now the three herds to focus on are the Fortymile, Central Arctic and Porcupine herds. The Western Arctic has great options but currently having some herd dynamic and political struggles, but if planning for a few years out then keep this herd on your radar.

The actual float option depends a lot on your expectations, goals and experience. The more popular the herd the more people in those GMUs in concentrate pockets. The easiest rivers in the huntable zones are the most crowded, so if you hear about them they'll likely have other groups. If that doesn't bother your group then you'll find a decent float within each of those herds boundaries.

It's not safe etiquette to toss out river names online, so don't expect nuggets that way from hunters. Either contact some pilots for those herds and gather intel or hit guys up via PM or email for bumps in the right direction.

Oftentimes it's not about the location as much as whether you can secure a good pilot to book with the year you want to hunt. If planning today then you'll likely secure avail service for 2023 or '24, but some '25
Paul,
The key to your trip is in Larry's last paragraph.