Air Rifle Recommendation

I set this gun to be nuts on from 20 to 40 yards then known point of impact using ballistic reticle out to 90 yards with this Edgun. Scope is a ffp. Close shots I have to hold over like a long shot probably because of the distance scope and barrel centers are apart. Just takes a little getting use to. With pcp's it is more likely to have scope further from bore axis due to the shrouds that help silence them. Some are longer and narrower where others are shorter and larger diameter. These guns are pin point accurate stacking pellets if I do my part. Spring or gas piston guns are more traditional looking so do have their scopes closer to batrel axis. This airgun stuff is just a toned down version of powder burners. Like real trophy trucks to remote control trucks. Although airguns use will make a firearm shooter better.

Measured the Edgun scope axis to Barrel axis. 2.75" . This gun pictured is 2.25". A .22 Kalibrgun Colibri or hummingbird. My favorite. Light, compact, accurate. Leupold Ultralite efr scope. Made the stock with some guidance from a Best Gun craftsman in Lakewood Washington named Al Lind whose work is amazing!!! He coached me throught it then on checkering. It took a lot of practice before I balled up and put the checkering tools to this stock. 24 lpi and borderless.

Attachments

• 20191127_212157.jpg
    20191127_212157.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200306_212757.jpg
    20200306_212757.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 19
Get some Aguila Super Calibri for a bolt or lever action 22. It is quieter than a pellet gun and stomps rats. 20 grain little pill won’t go too far or over penetrate much. I’ve killed hundreds of rats with them. I’ve even killed quite a few raccoons with shots to the forehead. Some rifle barrels might be too tight like CZ but they work great out of a marlin microgroove barrel.

OP
S
Wow, so much good info here....somehow my notifications got turned off and I'm just catching up now! And I want half a dozen of these recommendations. Thanks everyone so much for the recommendations, I'm looking through a bunch of these now and definitely have some more questions. I'm thinking that how quiet it is should be more of a consideration than I initially thought, with some people comparing subsonic 22lr rounds to some of these.

I did say the PCP stuff doesn't interest me, as I want to keep it simple....but there are a lot of really cool PCP rifles shown/recommended.

@TheGDog - you don't mention which gun you've got in the picture?

TheGDog

WKR
Wow, so much good info here....somehow my notifications got turned off and I'm just catching up now! And I want half a dozen of these recommendations. Thanks everyone so much for the recommendations, I'm looking through a bunch of these now and definitely have some more questions. I'm thinking that how quiet it is should be more of a consideration than I initially thought, with some people comparing subsonic 22lr rounds to some of these.

I did say the PCP stuff doesn't interest me, as I want to keep it simple....but there are a lot of really cool PCP rifles shown/recommended.

@TheGDog - you don't mention which gun you've got in the picture?
Only Airgun I have is the Umarex Octane in .22 Cal. w/ 2-7x33mm scope. I'm sure as long as you get a similar speed Gas-Piston BreakBarrel you'll get similar performance. BTW like it says in manual don't grab the plastic suppressor shroud when you're cocking it. Grab just below that.

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any thoughts on the Daina 34? Question, what type of action is best for new or young shooters?

TheGDog

WKR
Anyone have any thoughts on the Daina 34? Question, what type of action is best for new or young shooters?
If they are young, and you'd like to get them something that can take a decent amount of game with, depending on how young they are, you just might be better served with a PCP airgun. The Breakbarrels that make decent speed can have a pretty strong force Lbs rating for cocking them.

PyramydAir is pretty good with providing details about each one, such as cocking force reqd.

If they are very young and would like only be popping non-game yard birds or reptiles/amphibians a Multi-Pump would be fine. But like if you want them to be able to take Rabbits, Quail, Crows. Personally I'd want a Magnum-class Breakbarrel, or a decent velocity PCP. And yeah, for that glass of intended game... I'd shy away from .177's.

With a Magnum-class Breakbarrel you should be able to take rabbits up pretty well up to about 40yds I'd say. On those farther shots... especially if it's windy and they maybe don't take them right out... make sure you teach em to run over there and finish-it so the critter isn't suffering. On windy days the pellets can have their energy drop-off pretty rapidly at the end of their reach.

The feathers on Quail's wing are surprisingly strong! Crows even stronger. They gotta stay way from those wing feathers!!! Otherise you'll wop a Quail... and Son of a B if he doesn't get taken down! Think beginning of the shoulder region in that middle area there, that is if not a frontal shot.

Gotta be patient with the crows. Their feathers are TOUGH!! And.. even if you pop one, depending on all the variables..it might not go down right away. Kinda like with Duck Hunting.... sometimes it's a fatal hit, but it might not be a lights-out hit.... so they may fly away far enough that you don't know where they went down at.

Not quite that bad, but you get the idea.

OH... HEY.... you know what is pretty kick@ss but limits your range is that tried-and-true Crosman MultiPump Pistol the 1377 or something like that! You can take Doves with that, but it's not like they're gonna just lightswitch drop to the ground. So in an Urban setting you'd have to be aware of that and make sure to get them inside your walls and landed on the ground before you try a shot on them. So you don't risk them flying over into a neighbors yard before they expire.

my opinion, even though you say a PCP wasn't what you were thinking, you would be better served and happier with one. for budget minded I would either get a hatsan flash or air venturi avenger in .22. the avenger is regulated which will allow you to tune that thing up or down to meet your needs and are very accurate. I don't know how people think an airgun is as loud as a 22lr, maybe with muffs on lol. compressors don't have to be expensive, look at young heng on ebay. its a very popular unit that has been proven.
also, you can get a hand pump, but I would limit that to smaller PCPs like a marauder pistol (prod) which also is plenty of gun for what you're hunting and is compact. I throw mine in my pack to pick off squirrels while I'm in the stand.

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
If they are young, and you'd like to get them something that can take a decent amount of game with, depending on how young they are, you just might be better served with a PCP airgun. The Breakbarrels that make decent speed can have a pretty strong force Lbs rating for cocking them.

PyramydAir is pretty good with providing details about each one, such as cocking force reqd.

If they are very young and would like only be popping non-game yard birds or reptiles/amphibians a Multi-Pump would be fine. But like if you want them to be able to take Rabbits, Quail, Crows. Personally I'd want a Magnum-class Breakbarrel, or a decent velocity PCP. And yeah, for that glass of intended game... I'd shy away from .177's.

With a Magnum-class Breakbarrel you should be able to take rabbits up pretty well up to about 40yds I'd say. On those farther shots... especially if it's windy and they maybe don't take them right out... make sure you teach em to run over there and finish-it so the critter isn't suffering. On windy days the pellets can have their energy drop-off pretty rapidly at the end of their reach.

The feathers on Quail's wing are surprisingly strong! Crows even stronger. They gotta stay way from those wing feathers!!! Otherise you'll wop a Quail... and Son of a B if he doesn't get taken down! Think beginning of the shoulder region in that middle area there, that is if not a frontal shot.

Gotta be patient with the crows. Their feathers are TOUGH!! And.. even if you pop one, depending on all the variables..it might not go down right away. Kinda like with Duck Hunting.... sometimes it's a fatal hit, but it might not be a lights-out hit.... so they may fly away far enough that you don't know where they went down at.

Not quite that bad, but you get the idea.

OH... HEY.... you know what is pretty kick@ss but limits your range is that tried-and-true Crosman MultiPump Pistol the 1377 or something like that! You can take Doves with that, but it's not like they're gonna just lightswitch drop to the ground. So in an Urban setting you'd have to be aware of that and make sure to get them inside your walls and landed on the ground before you try a shot on them. So you don't risk them flying over into a neighbors yard before they expire.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. Got me thinking!

OP
S
Well, I ended up making a pretty different decision than I expected. I was pretty set on a gas piston break barrel and looking at several different models closely from Benjamin, Umarex, and Gamo. But all the talk of how powerful and loud most of these options are kept creeping into my thoughts. My yard is pretty dang small and the fence is pretty dang thin. So I ended up getting a Crosman 1322 with a shoulder stock. I'm still looking to buy a gas piston rifle, but for now I'm going to see if I can get rid of a few rats with this little guy. Looks like I can get upwards of 400fps with the max pumps and it's a 22, so I think it should work for rats. If not, it'll be a fun little toy for camp and I'll move on to something more powerful. I was just a little worried that I'd put a pellet through the back fence. The neighbors house is right up against the fence, so it made me worry too much!

Esq

FNG
Beeman R7. Incredible accuracy, light, easy to caulk, will put a pellet clean through a starling at 35 yds or a pigeon at 20, relatively safer for the neighborhood. 700 pfs is plenty to knock rats at 40 plus yds. You can shoot them in the head every time with the r7.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Well, I ended up making a pretty different decision than I expected. I was pretty set on a gas piston break barrel and looking at several different models closely from Benjamin, Umarex, and Gamo. But all the talk of how powerful and loud most of these options are kept creeping into my thoughts. My yard is pretty dang small and the fence is pretty dang thin. So I ended up getting a Crosman 1322 with a shoulder stock. I'm still looking to buy a gas piston rifle, but for now I'm going to see if I can get rid of a few rats with this little guy. Looks like I can get upwards of 400fps with the max pumps and it's a 22, so I think it should work for rats. If not, it'll be a fun little toy for camp and I'll move on to something more powerful. I was just a little worried that I'd put a pellet through the back fence. The neighbors house is right up against the fence, so it made me worry too much!
I have the 1322 and 1377. Very neat little weapons.
Lots of mods available also if you want to go down that rabbit hole.