Agencies announce decision to restore grizzly bears to North Cascades. I guess this makes it official

Loo.wii

WKR
Agencies will seek to move three to seven grizzly bears per year for a period of five to 10 years to establish an initial population of 25 bears. The U.S. portion of the North Cascades ecosystem is roughly 9,800 square miles in size, larger than the state of New Jersey, and contains some of the most intact wildlands in the contiguous U.S. Roughly 85% of the mountainous region is under federal management.

In 5 years I bet there will be a movement to bring them to Colorado.

I guess there’s not enough adrenaline in my life so the prospect of death on every trail is a good one ?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Actually I think they don’t want them in Co or they would be here. I do think if we get them, there will be some wild encounters, and it might wake people up. Folks have no idea. I get it the Alaska and Wyo and MT guys are good with em, last year alone Co had 80ish million tourists… lots of them hit the hills. Way too many people around for there to not be conflicts

Spoonbill

WKR
Agencies will seek to move three to seven grizzly bears per year for a period of five to 10 years to establish an initial population of 25 bears. The U.S. portion of the North Cascades ecosystem is roughly 9,800 square miles in size, larger than the state of New Jersey, and contains some of the most intact wildlands in the contiguous U.S. Roughly 85% of the mountainous region is under federal management.

In 5 years I bet there will be a movement to bring them to Colorado.

I guess there’s not enough adrenaline in my life so the prospect of death on every trail is a good one ?

I like how the article says humans killing grizzlies is the reason they aren’t there and in the next sentence states the last one seen was in 1996. I’m sure Idaho, Wyoming and Montana are happy to send over some bears since the hunting season is on hold.

chasewild

WKR
Actually I think they don’t want them in Co or they would be here. I do think if we get them, there will be some wild encounters, and it might wake people up. Folks have no idea. I get it the Alaska and Wyo and MT guys are good with em, last year alone Co had 80ish million tourists… lots of them hit the hills. Way too many people around for there to not be conflicts
Too late. They're here.

Chrisamx

FNG
I posted this before, but I think it applies here as well.

From earth.org,a rewilding organization:

The presence of top carnivores in an ecosystem not only holds ecological value but serves an economic and social purpose to humans. Rewilding, or more specifically trophic rewilding, is shedding light on the importance of predators and providing evidence of their benefits. The results will also help to advocate for the protection of existing trophic chains that are regulated by their top predator."

"...advocate for the protection of existing trophic chains that are regulated by their top predator." Which means they will be trying to protect elk and deer from hunters in order for wolves, cougars and bears have enough to eat.

It is a common thread on rewilding websites. They also exempt tribes (and align with them) so that they keep their racial diversity arguments intact.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I posted this before, but I think it applies here as well.

From earth.org,a rewilding organization:

The presence of top carnivores in an ecosystem not only holds ecological value but serves an economic and social purpose to humans. Rewilding, or more specifically trophic rewilding, is shedding light on the importance of predators and providing evidence of their benefits. The results will also help to advocate for the protection of existing trophic chains that are regulated by their top predator."

"...advocate for the protection of existing trophic chains that are regulated by their top predator." Which means they will be trying to protect elk and deer from hunters in order for wolves, cougars and bears have enough to eat.

It is a common thread on rewilding websites. They also exempt tribes (and align with them) so that they keep their racial diversity arguments intact.
Funny, last I checked we are the top predators… but we can pretend we aren’t part of the eco system I guess… how can humans have the greatest negative effect on nature ie global warming, yet at the same time be outside of nature ie “rewinding” lots of mental gymnastics there

Chrisamx

FNG
Funny, last I checked we are the top predators… but we can pretend we aren’t part of the eco system I guess… how can humans have the greatest negative effect on nature ie global warming, yet at the same time be outside of nature ie “rewinding” lots of mental gymnastics there
We are top predator, but not on their endangered species list. However dismissive you might be, their actions are winning in Courts and State initiatives. Rewilders (Center for Biodiversity), are the reason a grizzly hunt in Wyoming was stopped, for example.

Hnthrdr

WKR
We are top predator, but not on their endangered species list. However dismissive you might be, their actions are winning in Courts and State initiatives. Rewilders (Center for Biodiversity), are the reason a grizzly hunt in Wyoming was stopped, for example.
Not dismissive, more like astounded that they have much traction, IMO they are pinko commies, mostly and use a bunch of idiots who live in cities to further their aims which is effective, look at the wolves in Co, passed on an urban, suburban vote

I doubt adding grizzlies to the north cascades will have much of an affect on the ungulate population. There are so many black bears it might help the ungulates if the grizz thin the blackie population a little.

They say 12,000 comments were submitted but don't provide stats on the for/against. That's what I want to know. The way they phrase it would make it seem the majority were in favor of reintroduction.

Map of the proposed reintroduction areas.

Attachments

• c5baf6a1-0a64-4e81-8790-840b5499d46b.png
    c5baf6a1-0a64-4e81-8790-840b5499d46b.png
    496.8 KB · Views: 80

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
We already have them in NE Washington. One had to be relocated from about 15 miles north of Colville last fall because it took to liking the taste of chicken