Aegismax or similar lightweight sleeping bag instead of puffy pants....

Thinking about puffy pants. It has occured to me most weigh right around one pound. The original aegismax sleeping bags are this same weight. Has anyone taken one of these instead of puffy pants. Seems it would be more versatile if you had to spend a night away from camp, extra insulation, over legs to glass ,pillow etc. What do you guys think ? This would be an additional sleeping bag not my main one.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Id think a decent pair of puffy pants would be just as warm, if not warmer than the aegismax bag. My understanding is the 1 pound bags are only rated to around 43 degrees at the lower limit.

You could always give it a try and let us know how it works out.

SonnyDay

WKR
I haven't done it.

I might try it.

I hunt rifle in Colorado (October-November) and like having puffy pants for a bunch of mobile or semi-mobile situations. But I have considered making some kind of over-sized overboot to keep my feet warmer when glassing...

I am bringing an AntiGravityGear top quilt that is a little over a pound... to use as a top quilt if it gets really cold (trying out the ZenBivy 10 degree UL this year).

Depending on the day's plans and weather, it could make sense to bring the top quilt instead of puffy pants.

Hmm....

OP
G
I keep thinking up ways to add stuff to my pack rather than subtract. I also like to make and alter my own gear so creating a problem means it needs a solution... I have decided to forget about this idea and just throw my sleeping bag and bivy in my pack daily, yeah the one already in my pack.

SonnyDay

WKR
Yeah, I hear ya. I always thought the guys who carry camp on their back while hunting were kinda crazy... I see the benefits if you are traveling long distances in search of elk and don't want to backtrack. But I like to put up a "high camp" and then day trip from there. But I don't mind having enough gear to survive being out a night in my day pack. I still might make those over-sized glassing booties one of these years...

OP
G
That is how we hunt as well. Backpack in and set up camp to hunt out from each day. We will move camp if we are not finding animals. So a night out could easily happen. I carry a poncho tarp and escape bivy. This along with puffy coat and extra food and fire capability should be enough. I have decided more is not necessary.