Advice re: sell EL 10x50’s for NL 8x42

Hoff

FNG
Hi all, looking for some input: I have a pair of Swarovski EL 10x50’s and a pair of NL 12x42’s. I have loved the EL 10x50’s very much but I’m thinking about selling them to raise funds for a pair of NL 8x42’s. Seems to me if I did this I’d have a really good pair of binos for handheld glassing and hunting cover plus I’d be able to have the 12’s for distance glassing on a tripod, then confirm things through the spotter. Seems to me if I did this I would have a great quiver of options for a variety of scouting and hunting scenarios. There’s just a part of me that would have a hard time parting with those 10x50’s.

As for what I do with them: I hunt elk and mule deer, archery, muzzleloader, and rifle and scout all summer. Hunt everything from cover to long distance glassing.

First world problem, I know. Thanks for any input. Hoping to especially get input from those who own the 8x42 NL’s.

6.5x284

WKR
I have 8x and 12x NL like you’re thinking of doing. The 8x is in my chest harness 99% of the time. They are just phenomenal. Noticeably brighter than the rest of the NL line at dawn/dusk. FOV is massive. I think you’ll like it and end up packing them the majority as I have. On a tripod they are deadly with such a big FOV. Found several bedded bucks at 1.2 miles in bad light (looking into rising sun about 9am). I use my 12x on hunts I used to take 8x and 15x and my 8x for everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hoff

Hoff

FNG
I have owned 8x and 10x NL.

Went back to 10x50 EL.
best binocular ever made.
Interesting, appreciate the input. Did you notice a significant difference in image shake while handholding between the 8x’s and the 10’s? That’s one of the things that makes me interested in trying some 8’s- to see if I can settle the image a bit.

OP
Hoff

Hoff

FNG
I have 8x and 12x NL like you’re thinking of doing. The 8x is in my chest harness 99% of the time. They are just phenomenal. Noticeably brighter than the rest of the NL line at dawn/dusk. FOV is massive. I think you’ll like it and end up packing them the majority as I have. On a tripod they are deadly with such a big FOV. Found several bedded bucks at 1.2 miles in bad light (looking into rising sun about 9am). I use my 12x on hunts I used to take 8x and 15x and my 8x for everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So just to clarify- while hunting you take your 12’s and leave the 8’s and 15’s at home?

I guess the only logical conclusion is to just keep saving and have 8’s 10’s and 12’s. 😀

6.5x284

WKR
So just to clarify- while hunting you take your 12’s and leave the 8’s and 15’s at home?

I guess the only logical conclusion is to just keep saving and have 8’s 10’s and 12’s. 😀
On hunts where I used to take 8x and 15x and spotter, I just bring the 12x NL and spotter now. Think backpack hunts in large expanses for sheep or deer. I found the 12x is so clear I actually prefer it to the 15x SLC after many side by side glassing sessions.

But the majority of hunts (90% +) I only bring my 8x NL and a spotter as needed. Light performance is noticeable as well.

Just a long way to say yes, sell the EL for 8x NL. I think the 8xNL is severely underrated.

223dude

WKR
Interesting, appreciate the input. Did you notice a significant difference in image shake while handholding between the 8x’s and the 10’s? That’s one of the things that makes me interested in trying some 8’s- to see if I can settle the image a bit.
The 8x have less hand shake.
but the 10x show more detail.

if hunting out west I would go with 10x.

Beendare

WKR
Hoff, its nice to know there are others with my same affliction….grin

FWIW,
Personally, I can’t hold the 12’s still enough to make them worth it to me. I love having my 8x EDG‘s as an option on some hunts…though I mostly use 10x

While not exactly what your asking I went from 10x42 el to 8.5x42 els then sold them and am now with 8x32 nl's. I prefer them to either of the el's I had due to weight, size, and ergos. All are great bino's that's for sure. Good luck!!!

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
While not exactly what your asking I went from 10x42 el to 8.5x42 els then sold them and am now with 8x32 nl's. I prefer them to either of the el's I had due to weight, size, and ergos. All are great bino's that's for sure. Good luck!!!
Judging only for optical quality- discounting weight, size, ergonomics- how is the 8x32 NL better than those two EL?

I’m leaning the same direction but don’t want to lose low light performance of the 8.5 EL.

Judging only for optical quality- discounting weight, size, ergonomics- how is the 8x32 NL better than those two EL?

I’m leaning the same direction but don’t want to lose low light performance of the 8.5 EL.

I'm no optics expert and don't nerd out too much on them. To me the EL's are great, are nl's better, maybe. But I can say there was not an "oh wow" moment to me when looking through the NL's compared to the EL. Im not saying the 8x32NL is better, but it is better for me when i look at the entire package. They're all great binos.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, as a NL 12x42 owner, I’d go 8x32 NL over the 8x42 just to have a more compact pair.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Tough choice between NL 8x32 or SFL 8x40 for a second pair that are a handier size and weight.