Advice on an Approach for first 'lope hunt (WY Unit 38)

I'm an experienced CO mountain elk and mule deer hunter. Typically backcountry, on foot or with horses, spot and stalk or still hunting dark timber. I live up high and have never hunted a prairie setting.

I drew a Unit 38 WY doe antelope tag and will be heading up from CO the first weekend in Nov. I've talked to antelope hunters here, and scoured the internet in an attempt to learn about these critters. We have access to a private section north of the Wall Creek Ranch and east of Plumbago Canyon Rd. I did scout this area last year in mid October, and there were plenty of 'lopes but folks are saying the antelope might have gone to lower elevations by Nov, so I'm also e-scouting public land access as well. I'm guessing that focusing on lower elevation public spots would be a good bet?

It seems like road hunting on a smattering of state and BLM blocks, glassing and then developing a plan for an approach using the the flat topography as best as one can is the best approach. Do antelope play the wind as well as elk and deer? I've heard they are much more visual.

I'm taking two new fellow female hunters up to tag along, so it would be exiting to bag a nice doe and bring them through the whole process. They're wanting to learn everything about butchering, ageing, curing and smoking sausages, etc. so fingers crossed. I'm always excited to help folks learn.

Any additional advice? Looking forward to hunting a totally different landscape than I'm used to, so should be fun. I'm planning to shoot my Wby 300 win mag running 190 lrx (it's a laser and I like the big 300 in the wind. I've not had much meat damage with this combo on small mule deer does, using the monos on a double lung shot, avoiding the shoulder), and will bring my Wby 6.5 Creed as a backup gun, running 127 lrx. Thanks for any thoughts.

I would recommend hitting the private you have access to and seeing what’s around there. If needed change plans and head lower. Antelope will play the wind but it’s mainly their eyesight you need to fool first. Be careful not to just walk over a hill or rise. Instead sneak up and peak over first. Many times antelope use a slight depression or cut to hide in out of the wind.
Also I’d recommend some shooting sticks or at least using your backpack as a rest especially if there is some snow on the ground.
Have a great trip and be sure to report back.

Laramie

WKR
I agree, check the private areas first. If they aren't there, I can steer you to a couple of public spots that should hold antelope late in the year. Shoot me a pm if you need the help. Stop in Laramie at the Prairie Rose Cafe if you have time. It is great food and service in a small hole in the wall atmosphere. Smothered breakfast burrito is a must.

Have fun and good luck.

kpk

WKR
In my limited experience they don't seem to care about the wind much and rely heavily on eyesight. They also seem to run a giant circle or figure 8 in an area. Makes an easier ambush if you can get an idea of where they want to be and the direction they're currently heading.

OP
NeverSummer
Thanks all! I have a mono shooting stick and my MR Metcalf pack, both of which I'm used to shooting off of, so will be sure to pack those. It will be a challenge in open spaces with such a sight oriented critter. Great advice on slight depressions as a refuge. I've been amazed how many times I've been visually busted my mountain mulies and still am able to close. But if they smell you, no way.

Laramie, thanks so much for your kind offer. We've decided to head up next weekend for a quick pre season day scout on the private and adjacent public. If I get skunked on seeing anything, I'll shoot you a message. Will be actually hunting Nov 5-7. I stopped in Laramie last year on our scouting trip, what a cool town. Will check out the Prairie Rose Cafe, I'm a sucker for a good breakfast burrito.