Advantages of Kifaru Duplex Tactical vs Lite?

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all. I know I've asked a million questions recently, just trying to get as much info as I can to make an informed decision as being in Canada, getting it right the first time is important because shipping fees for returns suck.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the Duplex Tactical compared to the Duplex Lite?

I know about the airflow. I know about things not poking you in the back. I know about the weight difference. I know the tactical has 3 load lifter anchoring points.

Is there any difference in adjustability options for torso or belt? Is one more comfortable than the other under load? What about while empty or carrying around 30lbs? Is there a difference in them for carrying akward loads aside from the "poking in the back" thing?

Thanks in advance

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I can't speak to the tactical frame, but I've carried meat in the load shelf on a lite frame and had no issues with anything poking me in the back. I did keep it in a trash bag to keep blood from getting everywhere. I think it would have to be something pretty awkward to make it through the gap in the frame and be an issue.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I can't speak to the tactical frame, but I've carried meat in the load shelf on a lite frame and had no issues with anything poking me in the back. I did keep it in a trash bag to keep blood from getting everywhere. I think it would have to be something pretty awkward to make it through the gap in the frame and be an issue.

I'm gonna be carrying axe/saw/chainsaw on some trips, and additional camp gear like tents and sleeping bags on others (I would be carrying gear for other people)

woodswise

FNG
Have the tactical frame for carrying chainsaw, axe, plastic barrels. Have not used the lite frame. Like the stiffness of the tactical with awkward shaped gear. As you stated the amount of attachment points works for cross tying gear. From what I've heard, the lite frame offers more pressure points to the back because the weight comes down the two columns to the small of the back and hips. The broad panel of the tactical spreads out the weight distribution over the entire panel. Depends on how many pounds you plan on carrying.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Have the tactical frame for carrying chainsaw, axe, plastic barrels. Have not used the lite frame. Like the stiffness of the tactical with awkward shaped gear. As you stated the amount of attachment points works for cross tying gear. From what I've heard, the lite frame offers more pressure points to the back because the weight comes down the two columns to the small of the back and hips. The broad panel of the tactical spreads out the weight distribution over the entire panel. Depends on how many pounds you plan on carrying.

This is great feedback. I am looking for a one frame solution for everything from backpacking, trail clearing with akward tools, rucking/training whitetail and blackbear hunting, and also the possibility of going after Moose in the future.

I'm leaning toward the 24" tactical, just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything by opting for that instead of the duplex lite.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago when I was looking to replace my original duplex that had worn out. I was concerned about loads protruding through the gap in the back of the duplex lite, and was advised by the folks on the Kifaru insider’s Facebook group that my concern was a non-issue. Well, I’ll say this (and all with the caveat that I’m running the OG cargo panel, which doesn’t have the backing against the frame like the stryker does): The duplex lite is certainly a more comfortable pack—until you put an awkward load in it. I’ve had issue with shed horns, bone-in quarters, critter snouts, etc protruding through the gap in the back. That said, boned-out meat and/or camp are a non-issue and ride fine. In hindsight, whatever weight savings or breathability I gain from the duplex lite, I would happily trade for the added protection of the tactical frame. 90% of the time the duplex lite is amazing, 10% it’s a pain in the… back. Pictured is boned out meat, in which the duplex lite works great.

Attachments

• F86817A9-92D9-48C8-B90D-9BCCBBBFF658.jpeg
    F86817A9-92D9-48C8-B90D-9BCCBBBFF658.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 59
I’d recommend getting the Tactical frame, with composite stays. It sounds, from your previous posts, that you plan on carrying heavier loads. The slight increase in frame weight will be more than justified, by the pack’s ability to carry heavy loads. It takes mass to move mass. A pack is no exception. Also, unless you’re shorter than 5’9” (180 cm), I’d recommend the 26” frame.

ljalberta

WKR
Have they swapped the stays to be on the opposite side of the frame sheet from your back on the tactical, like it is with the lite model now?

My biggest issue with the stays being on the side with the lumbar pad is with heavy loads, I could feel the stays through the pad and it created uncomfortable hot spots and pressure points.

I understand on the lite frame that the stays are on the side of the frame sheet with the bag, eliminating this issue. Has that change been incorporated with the tactical frame, otherwise that can be an issue with heavy loads.