Adirondack hunting

Any of the brunos still alive and hunting the daks i know they used to access thier hunting area by canoe

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Grew up in North Creek, not far from Loon lake someone else mentioned. My family still has their place there although it's now got running water and electricity and the road is a lot better! I dont have a lot of experience hunting outside the eastern adirondacks and the high peaks region, but the area especially at those altitudes is at the very northern fringe of the whitetails range and the soil is anything but fertile, so it's never going to have the rack-size of most other places--I've seen plenty of 200lb deer from the adirondacks that would have the "score" of a farm-country fork horn because those mountains are a tough way to make a living for any deer. Hunting It's really very different than the big-woods areas of VT, NH and Maine though, in that for the most part in Vt NH and Maine you can drive a lot of roads to access different areas and look for tracks, etc. I live in Vt now, and we simply dont have the big chunks of public that the Adirondacks does, and we also have far higher hunting pressure per acre. ADK's for the most part you are 100% on foot, at least on public land. Some areas do get pounded, but it's really, really easy to get away from people. It's one of the only places I have been to in the US East of the rockies where the scale of the public land is on par with the large chunks of public you'd find in the west--the southern appalachians has some as well, no superlatives here, but no doubt the adirondacks is one of the larger concentrations of public land in the East. NH and Maine also have plenty of room, much of it being timber country and lower elevation, so deer densities in many areas are higher than the adk's. The above post detailing deer density, etc is spot-on, as long as you don't actually have any expectations of seeing more than a couple deer in a week or of bagging a deer, you'll love it. Just bring your walking shoes, rubber boots or a boat are v helpful many places, and for sure you'll need a good sense of humor.

edit--Mossyoak, looks like you may be referring to a different Loon Lake, North Creek is near the loon lake off Northway exit 25. I worked in Keeseville for many years, and my brother lived in Black Brook--that's a lot closer to where you are referring to, correct? quite a bit in that area seems to be leased. Some very cool country on the North side of the park though.

Last edited:

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted Maine, but the 9 hour drive makes it hard to pull off now with work. Adk's are 4 hours, so I'm looking to switch this year. Nothing beats tramping through some snow covered wilderness with a 760 in hand.

Don't forget, the Salerno brothers if were talking about big woods killers. The benoits of NY.

Also very interested in the Catskills, only 2 hours away and can drive up Friday after work and hunt the weekend. Just cant get enough of the big woods deer hunting.