Adak Island

Looking at Adak for my first Caribou hunt. I am thinking about flying in and then getting transportation to end of road system than hiking out a ways and setting up camp for a week. Looking for any advice on timing of the hunt. I am thinking that post rut would be the best timing for my style of hunting. I will be using a trad bow and will be spot and stalking these critters. I have heard that you dont want to hunt bou in the rut because they drink the cow estrus which taints the meat? Any truth to that? Thanks in advance for any help!
J

If you want to eat the caribou I would not shoot a bull in the rut. (Taints the meat is putting it nice- making it inedible is more realistic) The rut is about the first two weeks of October. Adak is either sex so a cow could be ok.

The weather on Adak can be severe so as long as you are prepared the caribou will be there if you are willing to hike. Packing meat back to the road system will be your biggest challenge if you kill.

AB63FD12-821F-4784-A463-143754988EB3.jpeg

OP
Justin.Medcalf
If you want to eat the caribou I would not shoot a bull in the rut. (Taints the meat is putting it nice- making it inedible is more realistic) The rut is about the first two weeks of October. Adak is either sex so a cow could be ok.

The weather on Adak can be severe so as long as you are prepared the caribou will be there if you are willing to hike. Packing meat back to the road system will be your biggest challenge if you kill.

View attachment 375484
Thanks for the info man! That is some cool looking country for sure!

OP
Justin.Medcalf

View attachment 375484
If I a guy went in late Oct or early Nov would snow be an issue? I am fully expecting to be rained on and blown all over but how about the snow factor?

I only went once. Adak is fairly temperate, it’s pretty far south for Alaska. Who knows with the snow, just depends on the year. People go out there on meat hunts into the winter all the time.

Viper*6

FNG
Hunted Adak Caribou in the fall of '76. Adak does live up to the "Birthplace of the Wind" reputation. When the wind blows hard sideways so does the rain. Lots of rain. Bring rain gear that "breathes". The key is staying warm when wet underneath. No trees on Adak where we hunted. Best to have a tarp for down pours while out hunting.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I did pretty extensive research on hunting Adak. I felt it had so much to offer and experience. I feel the time to have hunted there has passed. 5 to 10 years ago would have been the time. The herd is in heavy decline at present.

I have a friend who was well ahead of curve on many things alaska, and globally when it came to hunting. He was out on AdAK way before it was cool with his longbow and shot a hammer of a bull. Went back a couple years later after it "got out" and it was a dumpster fire compared to what it used to be.

Sadly, good things come to end faster and faster these days.

I went there August 17th - 27th, wind was so bad the first night that it broke the tent i was in, spent half the night trying to keep it from flattening over. the next two nights had the same 50mph winds coming in so my cousin and I decided to head back into town for that. Waited till Saturday the 20th to hike out from finger bay trail head. Base camped from Gannet lake and hiked daily down to teadrop lake, saw caribou but could never get close enough for a shot. If you're trying to not hike in as far i would reccomend going in septemeber or pay for the boat ride to the south end of the island.

I went there August 17th - 27th, wind was so bad the first night that it broke the tent i was in, spent half the night trying to keep it from flattening over. the next two nights had the same 50mph winds coming in so my cousin and I decided to head back into town for that. Waited till Saturday the 20th to hike out from finger bay trail head. Base camped from Gannet lake and hiked daily down to teadrop lake, saw caribou but could never get close enough for a shot. If you're trying to not hike in as far i would reccomend going in septemeber or pay for the boat ride to the south end of the island.
What tent did you use?