Active Insulation

JDZ3

FNG
Went down an active insulation rabbit hole today. I was a fan of the Sitka Ambient and am looking for other companies with the same Primaloft Evolve fabric. Anyone have any recommendations?

I was also reading about Polartec Alpha and it seems similar. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was just looking into this myself and went with the ambient. I did find some from Rab that use a similar looking insulation and have it mapped out through the jacket. Didn’t really like the color options for hunting so I passed. Dynafit has one but they like to write their name really big down one sleeve with a reflective material.

Previously used the kenai and its casual line version from Kuiu. Worked good for September over a baselayer but doesn’t layer well unless you size up your puffy and rain jacket. Also the one big issue I had with them was when wearing a shell and pack over it was back sweat. If they were just a fleece or lighter on the back it would have been better.

I’m a big fan of the windshirt + light synthetic vest. Been running an Arcteryx gamma sl combo’d with the SG cirque light vest and it’s done me well into the single digits with 40 mph winds (with a pack)

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve entirely replaced grid fleece with this active stuff, absolutely love it. Been thrashing the original ambient hoody for a while.

So the insulation closest to the ambient would be an alpha direct piece, which is unfaced on the interior. I would agree, mapped pieces with fleece or lighter back labels is ideal. The newest ambient “75” is close to that, with fleece in the lumbar area.

Windshirt + Alpha Direct is a very light system. They make unfaced alpha direct pieces that are 60 or 90 gsm (same goes for bottoms). They are incredibly lightweight.

https://www.garagegrowngear.com/col...ducts/alpha-cruiser-by-farpointe-outdoor-gear

I love the ambient but they don’t quite layer like a tighter grid fleece. I’ve recently been trying an alpha direct piece from Dynafit that’s been incredible, solely based on recommendation here on other threads about these types of layers - @B_Reynolds_AK turned me onto this piece, he’s posted a lot about it. Hoody, mapped 90 gsm weight (I think) alpha direct, with fleece paneling, full zip, like 10.5 oz. It’s incredibly versatile and the face fabric on the alpha parts is wind shirt like. Only downside is coloring is not “muted” like a solid from a hunting company. With a short or long sleeve baselayer it replaces grid fleece and is hugely variable in what weather you can use it in. Tighter fitting, layers well, good wind and moisture performance.

OP
J

JDZ3

FNG
I’m a big fan of the windshirt + light synthetic vest. Been running an Arcteryx gamma sl combo’d with the SG cirque light vest and it’s done me well into the single digits with 40 mph winds (with a pack)
What is your base layer? Also what sorts of hunts?

shwacker

FNG
Lots of awesome cottage USA makers of alpha direct hoodies, like Senchi Designs, Superior Fleece, and Beyond the Trailhead. You can look at garage grown gear for others possibly.

I have used the no longer made OR ascendant hoodie extensively, and it was awesome for high output in super cold temps because it just didn't get wet from sweat like other clothes.

What is your base layer? Also what sorts of hunts?
I’ve been using the SG synthetic baselayer. Been wanting to try this system out with a mesh baselayer though.

I’ve not used the combo on any hunts, being an east coaster, but I did use the combo on for my annual Presidential Traverse attempt this past winter, where it performed exceptionally well.

Attachments

• IMG_8675.jpeg
    IMG_8675.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 24

Poser

WKR
You tried the Black Diamond Alpine Start "jacket" as a wind layer?

You tried the Black Diamond Alpine Start "jacket" as a wind layer?
No. I think it’s relatively similar to my Gamma SL based on what I’ve read? I’ve been wanting to try something lighter though. More windshirt and less light unlined softshell.

Add Toray FullRange to your list.

Usually the granola community does a very good job of objectively comparing test data of the various insulation types but I can't find what I'm used to finding for Polartech Evolve.

Poser

WKR
No. I think it’s relatively similar to my Gamma SL based on what I’ve read? I’ve been wanting to try something lighter though. More windshirt and less light unlined softshell.

It’s a great, versatile layer. I bought one after reading raving reviews here on Rokslide. I ended up buying a 2nd one because I use it so much. When you first get one, it seems like little more than a sheet of paper, but once you start using and realize how breathable it is and how well it keeps the wind and light chill off of you, there’s really no reason to wear a hardshell unless it raining or wet snow. I wear it for everything from cool summer mornings in the high country to spring skiing and backcountry skiing (often not even carrying a hardshell anymore), barely took it off during Turkey season this spring. It’s comfortable to wear under more insulated layers, too. Add a vest, and you’re incredibly versatile.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Went down an active insulation rabbit hole today. I was a fan of the Sitka Ambient and am looking for other companies with the same Primaloft Evolve fabric. Anyone have any recommendations?

I was also reading about Polartec Alpha and it seems similar. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks!

With just the naked eye I see no difference between Evolve and Alpha looking at them side by side; performance wise, I've found no difference either.

They both are offered in different weights. I'm not sure Evolve is offered in a "naked" version yet, but Alpha is.

Naked Alpha works very well, but you have to have a wind layer close by—even the slightest breeze cuts right through it, but it's also why it works so well as active insulation.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Poser you have caused me to spend hundreds of dollars on Black diamond……… and it’s all been pretty good.

P Carter

WKR
With just the naked eye I see no difference between Evolve and Alpha looking at them side by side; performance wise, I've found no difference either.

They both are offered in different weights. I'm not sure Evolve is offered in a "naked" version yet, but Alpha is.

Naked Alpha works very well, but you have to have a wind layer close by—even the slightest breeze cuts right through it, but it's also why it works so well as active insulation.
Here's a naked Primaloft Evolve:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

In your opinion, does naked Alpha have a place for hunting or is this more suited for hiking groomed trails?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You talking about the Alpenglow Pro sun hoody? I ain't lying when I said that's the best one on the market.
That and I think it was you that recommended their storm line rain gear and it’s not the first time you’ve mentioned the Alpine start which I might still try just haven’t gotten around to anyone yet

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

Cool- glad to see other manufacturers coming around :)

In your opinion, does naked Alpha have a place for hunting or is this more suited for hiking groomed trails?

It’s probably more suited to trails, but with a little care I think a guy could make it work for hunting.

The one thing it does have for hunting (other than it’s performance) is the fabric is dead quiet. Going through thick timber and blowdown would require some caution.

It’s a great, versatile layer. I bought one after reading raving reviews here on Rokslide. I ended up buying a 2nd one because I use it so much. When you first get one, it seems like little more than a sheet of paper, but once you start using and realize how breathable it is and how well it keeps the wind and light chill off of you, there’s really no reason to wear a hardshell unless it raining or wet snow. I wear it for everything from cool summer mornings in the high country to spring skiing and backcountry skiing (often not even carrying a hardshell anymore), barely took it off during Turkey season this spring. It’s comfortable to wear under more insulated layers, too. Add a vest, and you’re incredibly versatile.
I’ve had the same conclusion. Especially in the winter when the precip is dry, I have been getting very close to leaving the hard shell at home with the wind shirt + vest combo.