Accupoint 3-9 vs 2.5-12.5

If you can see by my post history I’ve been debating optics for some while now, but am ready to order the scope.

I’m stuck between 2 options.

Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40

And the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42

Both have capped windage and elevation.

The 2.5-12.5 has adjustable parallax but weights 9oz more than the 3-9.

It’s going to be a 400 yard and in deer/ maybe elk one day rifle. It’s a Tikka t3x Superlite 30-06 which weighs around 5.7 lbs scopeless w titanium upgrades and the optic will be going in UM rings. The 2.5-12.5 seems more versatile especially when I do go elk hunting in the future, but would parallax be an annoyance when 98% of my hunting is tree stand/ground hunting in Kentucky?

Most of my shots are as close as 15y to 150y. Thank you.

Macintosh

WKR
As I was reading your post, my initial reaction was exactly this: “I would make the decision based on whether having fixed vs adjustable
parallax is relevant and useful for 90% of your hunting”. So, when I got to the end and saw your eventual question, we’re thinking along the same lines. For me, I am also on the east coast. I have a dedicated rifle I use hunting here, so my “long range hunting rifle” is one that I want to do double duty for typical eastern big woods hunting where 50 yards is the typical shot, but also be very comfortable hunting on trips west where a 300-400 yard shot is realistic. My choice was that an adjustable parallax is a liability most of the time (even in the west I have had a very low % of my opportunities past 250 yards), and only a benefit at the far end of my effective range or maybe even outside my effective range. Therefore, my scope criteria was that it must have a fixed parallax, because I HAVE had adjustable parallax scopes adjust against my body and be a problem at short range (pull gun up and see nothing but a blur and have to readjust on the fly on an animal that is already at very close range and halfway spooked). So my $ is on the fixed parallax. For 400 or even 500 and in I would not fight over the difference between 9x and 12x. If you go for a mildot reticle, which wiuld be my choice, the 9x might even be my preference on a 2fp scope.

Kyguy

FNG
As I was reading your post, my initial reaction was exactly this: “I would make the decision based on whether having fixed vs adjustable
parallax is relevant and useful for 90% of your hunting”. So, when I got to the end and saw your eventual question, we’re thinking along the same lines. For me, I am also on the east coast. I have a dedicated rifle I use hunting here, so my “long range hunting rifle” is one that I want to do double duty for typical eastern big woods hunting where 50 yards is the typical shot, but also be very comfortable hunting on trips west where a 300-400 yard shot is realistic. My choice was that an adjustable parallax is a liability most of the time (even in the west I have had a very low % of my opportunities past 250 yards), and only a benefit at the far end of my effective range or maybe even outside my effective range. Therefore, my scope criteria was that it must have a fixed parallax, because I HAVE had adjustable parallax scopes adjust against my body and be a problem at short range (pull gun up and see nothing but a blur and have to readjust on the fly on an animal that is already at very close range and halfway spooked). So my $ is on the fixed parallax. For 400 or even 500 and in I would not fight over the difference between 9x and 12x. If you go for a mildot reticle, which wiuld be my choice, the 9x might even be my preference on a 2fp scope.
THIS. Exactly.

Nyhunt79

FNG
I’m considering ordering a accupoint 3-9 myself, although I may go a cheaper route with a vortex or leupold. I bought a vortex viper 1-6 but it’s kinda heavier than I’m wanting

OP
K
I’m considering ordering a accupoint 3-9 myself, although I may go a cheaper route with a vortex or leupold. I bought a vortex viper 1-6 but it’s kinda heavier than I’m wanting
I’m going w the Accupoint bc Trijicon is one of the few scope brands that consistently pass forms testing. Leupold and Vortex lost zero in every test.

Leave your parallax adjustment on 100 and you’re fine for the ranges you’re talking about. And no, it won’t get bumped and mess you up.

Leave your parallax adjustment on 100 and you’re fine for the ranges you’re talking about. And no, it won’t get bumped and mess you up.
This. I would go with the 2.5-12.5x42. I’m not crazy about adjustable parallax on my deer rifles but it wouldn't deter me. Either one is going to be fine. You might consider what is more important. A bit more versatility or 8ozs more weight. Only you can decide that. I dont walk much in Alabama so weight is not an issue for me. Your rifle even with the heavier scope isnt going to be a heavy weight regardless.

TxxAgg

WKR
6x is plenty for 400 yds so 9x is more than enough. 12x is way too much.

That accupoint 3-9 is a great little scope.

Macintosh

WKR
The mil-dot reticle just happens to line up well with drops from most rifles at 200-400 yards with a 100 yard zero. Imo its a better “bdc reticle” than any of the actual bdc reticles. You arent spinning the turrets on either of these so its irrelevant what units you zero with. Unless you are already using moa in another scope that you dial, you really arent at much, if any, disadvantage. If this is solely going to be a point and shoot point blank range scope then its also irrelevant, just an idea.