Absolute Hammer 3150fps from .308 win. I think?

eoperator

WKR
Those primers all look cratered a la over pressure. Are you opening the bolt on that pipe bomb with a 2x4? Am i missing something. I shoot a 20" 308 and push 180's @ 2600. I have literally no clue how you are squeezing an additional 500 FPS out of a 150. Like physically, i would not think the .308 case capacity would be great enough to make that happen. Thats like barking on mild 300WM territory, definitely interested to see how that all works out man, be careful!!
Those absolute hammers are a completely different animal, 3200fps is attainable with a 24" 308win & 151ah. 3150fps from a 18" barrel is kinda pushin it. It is to bad the bc suffers in the absolute line if they had better bc numbers they would be the best thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Thats insane man. l have never heard of them or seen them around my neck of the woods. With those #'s a guy could load some of those 150's up in a RUM and have a MPBR of like 500 yds, just aim and squeeze on everything.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
After the feedback I'll be backing off a little bit, I'm not looking to have the fastest 18" .308 win, was honestly surprised when I ran the #'s. Anything over 3k and I'd be thrilled. Honestly no change in bolt lift from less spicy loads and I'm not outside of max load range for other bullets of the same weight. There is some one loading the RUM with 124 Hammers and getting over 4k.

In my brief experience, testing of seating depth with that being the only variable has shown that to be an old wives' tale. I originally thought it was true. I haven't found a point in seating deeper when the opposite side of the parabola appears. I would guess though that it is when the COAL becomes much less than saami spec and reading on the matter suggests the same.

I'd love to read your experience in testing.

I read a very detailed and data driven paper on this and cant seem to find the damn thing again to share..

Take away was that as freebore got longer, pressure decreased. In a single chamber, there was not a statistically significant change in chamber pressure with different seating depths as long as bullets were not jammed in the lands.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
This was one of the best (and cheapest) investments I've made for quick and easy velocity recordings. I don't have to call cold range to attach it and make sure it's perfectly aligned, or in the correct lighting, and it has been accurate in all its readings so far.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
This was one of the best (and cheapest) investments I've made for quick and easy velocity recordings. I don't have to call cold range to attach it and make sure it's perfectly aligned, or in the correct lighting, and it has been accurate in all its readings so far.

Thanks, it’s near the top of a very long “needed” list. Closing on a house and moving this week.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
I was finally able to run this load through a chrono. Chrono is showing 2950 avg.
That's a pretty big difference compared to the drops I measured. Maybe that means the BC is actually better than advertised? I'm confident in the measured distances and drops are much less than same weight factory fodder.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Regardless of actual velocity, you are still showing pressure from time to time. I would back the load off to avoid any variables you might encounter that would peak your pressure. It'll be a lot easier on your components and rifle too.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
Agreed, I plan to use the remaining few I have loaded and doped for season and rework the load going forward.

2950 seems more realistic, but still HOT. I’m at 3130 with the 151 absolutes in my factory tikka 30-06 (21in barrel). And it’s fairly hot. Comparable accuracy load with 150gr Barnes was 2930.

If you're familiar with Hammer Bullets "Absolute Hammer" then it's not that surprising. Those things seem to be made up of unicorn droppings and rainbow juice for what guys are achieving with them.

They are pretty amazing when you find the right powder.

This is what I am getting from a 6.5 Grendel with a 20” barrel and have room to go more. 97 grain Absolute hammer.

6986d30df46b2eac1c05309cd343ccc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was finally able to run this load through a chrono. Chrono is showing 2950 avg.
That's a pretty big difference compared to the drops I measured. Maybe that means the BC is actually better than advertised? I'm confident in the measured distances and drops are much less than same weight factory fodder.

FWIW I pressured out almost instantly with TAC and 162 absolute hammers. I’m trying BLC2 next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

epfd217

FNG
My 24" barrel 308WIN shooting the 152 HH is getting 2930 with TAC. Hit pressure with the TAC at 2990.
With the 137 HH, I'm still using TAC and getting 3180. Saw well over 3200 when I got pressure. I need to verify the 137HH load as it will be my late season elk load. I really want that one to work.

OP
B

Bluumoon

WKR
My 24" barrel 308WIN shooting the 152 HH is getting 2930 with TAC. Hit pressure with the TAC at 2990.
With the 137 HH, I'm still using TAC and getting 3180. Saw well over 3200 when I got pressure. I need to verify the 137HH load as it will be my late season elk load. I really want that one to work.
Dropped my bull elk within a couple feet last week. Granted I blew up the heart, but I was more than satisfied w terminal performance. No exit wound and I didn’t feel like doing a post mortum to find the bullet. Will be reworking the load to back off pressure signs, hopefully I can keep it close to what I have.