AAARGH! Cleaning &@$&@?!!! muzzleloaders!

Tod osier

WKR
Checked zero on my wife’s and my muzzle loader this weekend. Everything was right where it should be, until I spent the last hour cleaning both of our muzzleloaders. Shooting an in-line using triple-seven pellets. Nothing is wrong except cleaning them. Is there some secret to magically clean this stuff without getting soaking wet, spilling nasty gunk all over my work table and wasting an hour of my life scrubbing out something that seems like it should’ve been clean 45 minutes ago?
Also if anyone has suggestions for a much cleaner propellant, it has to be rock solid reliable ignition in a driving mixture of rain and snow, Because nothing says “I dont respect myself” more than hunting in that all day and then coming home to clean a muzzleloader.
Snide remarks, memes or helpful comments appreciated. I take things very literally, so if you’re disparaging me please let me know so I don’t take it as a helpful comment.

I will add that it is "supposed" to be harder and take more time.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Come grow with us! Are you interested in joining a small but growing team of passionate enthusiasts? If so, we might have an opening for you! This is a part-time seasonal position starting immediately!

Propellant Custodial Technician 1

Reports to: Field Technician 3/CEO

The Propellant Custodial Technician 1 (PCT1) is a critical team member responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of alternate-season projectile implements. As the PCT1, you will own the planning and procurement of materials and maintenance supplies, as well as conduct routine after-use inspections and maintenance, ensuring the success of the field team and optimizing equipment performance and lifespan.

Qualifications:
The ideal candidate would have:
  • A minimum of 1 year experience maintaining projectile implements
  • Flexibility to work irregular hours/days, especially short shifts on weekend evenings
  • Willingness to learn new skills and pitch in on team duties including hemo-fluid surveying, field extractions, protein division, storage-room liquid-sustenence restocking, and other duties from time to time.
Send resume and cover letter by PM.

He’s saying 1 dollar for powder. Add in your bullets, thors are 2 dollars each, and a primer which is 50 cents and you’re closer to 3.50 a shot.
I think Thors are even more than that now. Primers are more like .07 though.

Saw some 7 SAUM ammo for $80 a box the other day.

FLATHEAD

WKR
In lines are infinitely easier to clean than sidelocks IMO.
Had a session with my Hawken yesterday,,,,misfire, hangfire,
misfire, half fire, etc... .........then 100 swabs.......patches still dirty,,,,.
where's my inline?

Jethro

WKR
I use Thompson 13 bore cleaner on my inline shooting 777. 2 wet patches and it’s clean. Flintlock shooting black powder I use hot soapy water and swab the barrel

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
For BP subs not including BH209, Dawn soap and almost boiling hot water in a 5 gallon bucket. Push/pull from breach end to muzzle which will pull water up from muzzle into barrel. Hot water will heat steel causing it to dry itself.

BH209 requires modern solvents to clean. You won't get wet with this but I also found the residue more difficult to clean up around the breeach plug.