A Skunk Adventure. Now, what's next?

This morning I caught a skunk in my live trap. I drowned her, and she didn't spray. Worked out perfectly. I watched some videos on skinning, fleshing, and boarding a skunk. I'm going to attempt it, but I've never done it before. The YouTube videos I watched made it look simple enough, but they had a few specialty tools and knives that I don't own. I've got an outdoor edge skinning knife, and that's it. Getting the tail bone pulled out, and then the fleshing process look like they might require speciality tools. Also, I'd love to keep hands and feet on if possible, but haven't found a good video resource for that.

Can an amateur get this thing done with just a skinning knife? Any pointers?

What he said.
As someone who's family legacy is steeped in "skunk adventures", I admire the drive, but question the best case scenario here. If you haven't vacated its scent glands inadvertently at this point, I'd count that as a win and ditch the carcass far enough away from your domicile that its relevance to the prevailing wind doesn't affect you, and your kids and dogs don't get into it.

Last edited:
OP
Lil-Rokslider
What he said.
As someone who's family legacy is steeped in "skunk adventures", I admire the drive, but question the best case scenario here. If you haven't vacated its scent glands inadvertently at this point, I'd count that as a win and ditch the carcass far enough away from your domicile that its relevance to the prevailing wind doesn't affect you and your kids and dogs don't get into it.
Unfortunately I usually need to learn the hard way. Besides, I watched a youtube video, so I'm pretty much an expert now at avoiding the glands.

My uncle was involved in skinning a quantity of skunks that resulted in a small town banning the practice within city limits. Alas I've never participated in the exercise and haven't watched any youtube videos so I'm not certified. I'd be surprised if you couldn't accomplish the task with a vise grip , scalpel, and the aforementioned knife you already own.

Ric0

FNG
I thought trapping season ended a couple months ago? At least it did in Washington.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I'm impressed you were able to dispatch it without it spraying... were you already close to water?
I filled up a water tank with a ramp leading up to it. Then hooked a long rope to the front of the live trap and pulled it up the ramp into the tank. I've got a video, but I can't figure out how to post it........

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have been told, but have not test method. Hold a tarp in front of you as you approach the trapped animal, very carefully, if they get nervous stand still. once you get to the trap, gently drape the cage. Then gently pick up trap and move it to a save location. Before you do this make sure you have devised a save way to release the animal if you don't plan on killing it. I would appreciate it if one of you would give this method a try. If it works let me know.

KsRancher

WKR
I have been told, but have not test method. Hold a tarp in front of you as you approach the trapped animal, very carefully, if they get nervous stand still. once you get to the trap, gently drape the cage. Then gently pick up trap and move it to a save location. Before you do this make sure you have devised a save way to release the animal if you don't plan on killing it. I would appreciate it if one of you would give this method a try. If it works let me know.
Done it more times than I can count. It needs to be dark so no light gets thru. Make sure when you drape it over to tuck the tarp under so when you pick it up the skunk can't see out the bottom.

My dog cornered a skunk once, didn’t know what he was barking at because it was at night and in rural CO mountains.
Skunks are not common here.
Anyway, I go running out expecting a bear or lion and out pops this skunk from the culvert.

Just so happened a lid to a tote was blown into the creek next to the culvert.
I quick grab the lid as I grab my dog by the collar and raise the lid like a shield just as the skunk starts spraying!

It was pretty rad.
Only thing the skunk hit was my fingers.
It was chunky, and smelled like horrible burnt rubber.
Nothing like a typical skunk smell in the air.