A reminder about bees in trees

How do you know where the hornets are under ground?
That's just it, you rarely see them until they get after you. Their entry holes are usually less than a couple of inches in diameter. When they are active, you can see them going in and out of the nest.

manitou1

WKR
View attachment 750249
While on the subject, bee sure to check your open can of beer for intruders. That one hurt.
Nothing lets you know you are alive like a wasp sting on the lips! 😂

I got zapped on the lower lip while camping on an island on a fishing trip.
Man I had no idea a sting could hurt so bad. Well, except for the time I was mowing hay and hit a bumblebee nest. One of them stung me right on the tip of my right nipple.
Wow! That really hurt. It appeared I had only paid for half of a "boob job" for a while.

It is amazing that those little things can bring so much pain if stung in the wrong (or right) place on your body.

The worst is when they get between your pack frame and back when you're packing meat. SOB'a are relentless on meat on a warm day.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The second guy always gets it🤣 I walked over two in ground nests within about 30 minutes and my buddy with a crew cut was picking them out of his hair. Nothing like hearing runnnnnn🤣 they suck for sure

pirogue

WKR
This is the kind of hive you hope to find. Deserted, 3’ high. Boot and tool handle dressing has never been easier to obtain.
IMG_2003.jpegIMG_2003.jpeg

BigLou

FNG
Benadryl gel caps (faster dissolving than other pill types) are a great thing to add to your emergency kit. Had a hard experience many years ago with my brother getting hit by a stingray on a duck hunt. wont go into the woods without it now...

N. Ga. Trout fishing, looking for a stream on a map.
Stopped to look down a hill and put my foot up on a downed tree.
Saw the stream, looked down at my foot right next to a hole in the log
that had 10 Bazillion little black wasps coming out right next to my foot.
Took off running, dropped the rod, lost my hat, shirt and hiking stick.
Got me 23 times. Was bleeding from both temples, pulled stingers from
inside my lips, both eyes swelled up.
They were still after me after running 5-600 yards to the truck.
10 miles down the road, they were in the truck.
Bad little dudes.
Need a picture of the aftermath

BTLowry

FNG
Never thought about bees and wasps in the mountains

Red wasp to the eyelid sucks

Factor in 100deg temps and double suck

Actually called the wife that day and told her exactly where I was and what happened and that I was going to take a moment to cool off and if I was not back at the house in 15min to come get me
Only time I have ever been stung and felt dizzy/nauseated

Spent the next 2 days hunting and spraying any wasp nests I could find

Ususally find a few bumble bee ground nests while shredding pasture in the late summer/fall but pretty good at avoiding getting stung by them

Carr5vols

WKR
Imagine working a pair of mules pulling logs and you go over a yellow jacket nest...grin and bare it while you undog so you and the mules can get out of there...my dad tells me this was an every week thing when he was a kid logging with mules...