A pistol failure story…

For years I’ve carried my trusty Glock G29 in the backcountry but just the other day it warned me that pistol maintenance and practice is just as important as the attention we give our rifles.

A couple weeks back I was out solo scouting for a bear hunt and while working through some chokecherries along an old two-track I ran right into a feeding bear. The bear was only about 25 feet away, we both startled each other, but it didn’t act aggressive and simply turned and moved off into the thicker brush. I had instantly drawn and presented the sidearm, though not as smoothly as I should have. Fortunately, we went our separate ways without incident. That encounter, along with watching this recent video, had me thinking that some more practice was in order so I did just that. This pistol has an aftermarket barrel and trigger and it has served me well for many years. During this practice, I ran two different but familiar loads, 180’s and 200’s, and for the first time ever I ran into a trigger reset issue with both. The trigger began failing to reset intermittently. And worse, I could make it happen more frequently by increasing my rate of fire (as one might do when being charged). However, during my previous trip to shoot this same pistol (many months prior) none of this was evident.

The aftermarket trigger has adjustable set screws for pre travel and over travel, and both are fixed from the factory with locktite. I’d never checked or adjusted these two screws because the factory setting was fine and I didn’t want to break that locktite bond and have to reapply it. After complete pistol disassembly, I found that both of those set screws were loose and could rotate as freely as they wanted to. Did the locktite deteriorate? Had excessive heat cycling caused it to break up? Who knows. Regardless, one of them had rotated so far inward that it was right on the edge of preventing the reset. And this likely happened as a result of vibration while driving the washboarded roads I travel all summer when hiking and scouting. I thoroughly cleaned the whole thing, readjusted those screws, added some locktite, and put it all back together. I allowed plenty of time for the locktite to dry and then went out to see how it performed. Problem solved. Zero failures.

The lingering question here is: What might have happened if I needed to let a half-dozen rounds fly in rapid succession at that bear? I had assumed that it would work flawlessly just because it did so months prior. But this was a mistake on my part, and it’s one that I won’t be making again any time soon. I had no way of knowing that this problem had slowly began creeping into my system (one tiny screw rotation at a time over many months). The failure was going to present itself at some point, I’m glad it did so when it was the least consequential.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
For years I’ve carried my trusty Glock G29 in the backcountry but just the other day it warned me that pistol maintenance and practice is just as important as the attention we give our rifles.

A couple weeks back I was out solo scouting for a bear hunt and while working through some chokecherries along an old two-track I ran right into a feeding bear. The bear was only about 25 feet away, we both startled each other, but it didn’t act aggressive and simply turned and moved off into the thicker brush. I had instantly drawn and presented the sidearm, though not as smoothly as I should have. Fortunately, we went our separate ways without incident. That encounter, along with watching this recent video, had me thinking that some more practice was in order so I did just that. This pistol has an aftermarket barrel and trigger and it has served me well for many years. During this practice, I ran two different but familiar loads, 180’s and 200’s, and for the first time ever I ran into a trigger reset issue with both. The trigger began failing to reset intermittently. And worse, I could make it happen more frequently by increasing my rate of fire (as one might do when being charged). However, during my previous trip to shoot this same pistol (many months prior) none of this was evident.

The aftermarket trigger has adjustable set screws for pre travel and over travel, and both are fixed from the factory with locktite. I’d never checked or adjusted these two screws because the factory setting was fine and I didn’t want to break that locktite bond and have to reapply it. After complete pistol disassembly, I found that both of those set screws were loose and could rotate as freely as they wanted to. Did the locktite deteriorate? Had excessive heat cycling caused it to break up? Who knows. Regardless, one of them had rotated so far inward that it was right on the edge of preventing the reset. And this likely happened as a result of vibration while driving the washboarded roads I travel all summer when hiking and scouting. I thoroughly cleaned the whole thing, readjusted those screws, added some locktite, and put it all back together. I allowed plenty of time for the locktite to dry and then went out to see how it performed. Problem solved. Zero failures.

The lingering question here is: What might have happened if I needed to let a half-dozen rounds fly in rapid succession at that bear? I had assumed that it would work flawlessly just because it did so months prior. But this was a mistake on my part, and it’s one that I won’t be making again any time soon. I had no way of knowing that this problem had slowly began creeping into my system (one tiny screw rotation at a time over many months). The failure was going to present itself at some point, I’m glad it did so when it was the least consequential.

Aftermarket Glock triggers are toys. It will happen again, and again. Pull that trigger and replace it with a factory Glock trigger- no mods save maybe a factory Minus connector.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I've been using the Glock Performance Trigger in my competition pistols and it is working fine. I used the minus connector before it was released. No issues ever.

Aftermarket Glock triggers are toys. It will happen again, and again. Pull that trigger and replace it with a factory Glock trigger- no mods save maybe a factory Minus connector.
I agree completely. The minus connector and maybe different sights is about all I would want to replace on a glock that I may need to help me save my life. I have seen a few different triggers have issues.

OP
benclimbing
Appreciate the feedback; I may try that. Thought I'd post the story in case it could help someone else, even if it simply helps them avoid the aftermarket triggers.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Appreciate the feedback; I may try that. Thought I'd post the story in case it could help someone else, even if it simply helps them avoid the aftermarket triggers.

No doubt.

The Glock trigger is simply a design that does not allow a “good” trigger feel with reliability and safety.

No doubt.

The Glock trigger is simply a design that does not allow a “good” trigger feel with reliability and safety.
Agreed. Once you see how it works it makes sense why it feels the way it does. I think some people buy Glocks and think they can aftermarket their way into a SA trigger.

This is also a wake up call for OP(and anyone else reading that the following might apply to) to get out and practice with your sidearm. Think about it like this - you spend all year practicing with your bow/rifle to get ready for a hunt. Would you show up to your hunt with a rifle or bow you haven't shot in 2 years?

I don't know about you guys, but I want to be confident with something I consider a life saving device.

180ls1

WKR
Thanks for sharing. How confident are you in your ability to make lethal hits with that setup after going through this?

There are a lot of upsides to a sub-compact glock in 10mm, however, there are also significant downsides.

I am torn on the issue as I shoot my full size, DA/SA 9mm MUCH more accurately.

OP
benclimbing
Right. I managed to greatly improve the trigger feel (flat face, machined aluminum, tighter tolerances, less spongy) but I also introduced two new potential paths to failure.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Comp and aftermarket triggers on glocks as bear defense weapons are a huge mistake that can cost you everything.

Run ammo through it regularly and practice. If your gun doesn’t reliably feed the “heavy hard cast super duper bear ammo” (like many gun don’t) don’t use it.

The 190 grain Sierra FPJs kill bears very dead and feed reliably in all Glocks I’ve seen shoot them so far. We used to use 170 grain off the shelf FPJ which also works/worked just fine with killing bears.

OP
benclimbing
Thanks for sharing. How confident are you in your ability to make lethal hits with that setup after going through this?
When it functions as I expect it to, which it always has, I'm very confident within reasonable ranges. I accept the downsides because I appreciate the upsides. It's a Gen3 with the G20 mag/x-grip so I gain the additional rounds and the extra grip purchase. I like it and enjoy shooting it, but I wish the whole setup was a bit more refined. At this point I could probably be talked into a different setup so long as it retains the critical elements I value.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
There are some aftermarket triggers that provide a better feel while retaining the factory funcionality. For a self defense weapon Apex or Overwatch Precision are the only options I would trust.

I have the Overwatch Tac in my 19 and have not had any issues with it. The benefit of the overwatch is that it doesn't try to lighten or shorten the glock trigger assembly, but provide a better feeling shoe and if you want np3 parts to help take out some of the grit, which if we're honest most average shooters don't notice it.

Great cautionary tale, OP. This is important info to get out. That could've really sucked.

The only issue I've had with firearms not working was my Kimber 84 in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Ruger LCR in .38 Spl.

When I moved to WY, I took the Kimber out coyote hunting on a -20 day. Nothing came in, so I popped in my plugs and lined up on a rock at 200 to confirm the zero. Click!....Click!....Boom! Once home, I ordered a heavier firing pin spring.

The LCR was an even goofier one. I shot it once with factory ammo and couldn't get it fire again. The primer had backed out, locking up the entire cylinder. It took hard whacks with a rubber mallet to get the cylinder open. That one round taught me revolvers aren't necessarily better defensive choices than pistols.

have got a Gen 5 G49 mos. never been happier, not much issues with Glock trigger in my experience..

IdahoBeav

WKR
Every time I hear of a Glock with problems it has aftermarket parts in it. My stock G20 just keeps going and going and going, perfect function every shot. I've had it 14 years now.
My new G45 jammed on the first shot out of the box, but it has been ran hard since then and has operated flawlessly.

G7777777

FNG
I have watched this happen as others shoot-- they dont fully reset the trigger-- they dont let up enough-- you can see that and the person routinely denies it

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
A minus connector fits in a Glock Performance Trigger.

The break on the performance trigger is great and the front sights don't move when you pull the trigger.

It's a solid work around to make improvements but still avoid after market parts.

I have around 3600 rounds on my G34 with this set up and I've only oiled the trigger once shortly after install.

bpitcher

FNG
There are some aftermarket triggers that provide a better feel while retaining the factory funcionality. For a self defense weapon Apex or Overwatch Precision are the only options I would trust.

I have the Overwatch Tac in my 19 and have not had any issues with it. The benefit of the overwatch is that it doesn't try to lighten or shorten the glock trigger assembly, but provide a better feeling shoe and if you want np3 parts to help take out some of the grit, which if we're honest most average shooters don't notice it.
OP has some good stuff.

I have the PolyDAT in a coupe guns.

A simple shoe replacement really does improve the feel of the trigger.