A few sewing questions

minengr

FNG
Hoping the more experienced posters can help me out. I just put together a AR pistol and can't seem to find a case that I want at a price I'm willing to pay. I'm also want something a little more discrete and doesn't scream this is a gun. Finally decided with a little time and effort I could make it myself. Talked with my mom and she's willing to teach me how to sew. She's has a Singer 15-91, that was my Grandmother's. From what I've read it should work nicely.

Does anyone have access to a pattern for a simple, short, rifle/pistol case? Something around 10"x30". I bought a duffle bag pattern, but I'm not sure if I can modify it and get what I want. Probably end up drawing my own in CAD.
I've purchased some 17 oz waxed cotton twill in a color similar to my Filson luggage. Any recommendation on what thread to use or best fabric for a liner?
I had some other questions, but they seem to escape me at the moment.
Thanks in advance.

I don't think you need to CAD this project, just measure/draw it out and go.

Bonded poly or nylon thread should work well. I tend to use milspec v69 or v92 the most.

You could use spacer mesh as a liner, might be a touch delicate. I've used heavier duty loop for the insides of pistol holsters before, that could work.

WoodBow

WKR
I would just do a simple rectangular folder over style. So basically a 20x30 piece that folds over onto itself to become 10x30. Add a zipper around outside. Personally I would want at leasty 1/4" foam padding. It is likley that this will be problematic for most machines unless you design it so that you do not need to sew through it. Foam is very easy to sew through. It is the height of the fabric stack that will be an issue. Most machines do not have a ton of presser foot lift. And if it is not a walking foot machine, it will struggle to feed a fat stack through. You could just glue the foam to the shell fabric or you could sandwich it between the shell and a liner fabric. It is a very doable project, even for a beginner. Keep those seams straight.

I bet you could use some 10-20lb fishing braid. Top that with some good wax. If your stitching is good it would take two freight trains to tear the seams apart I bet.

mgstucson

FNG
I think you will find v69 nylon is the limit of what the machine will reliably handle. This is fine because it is certainly more that strong enough for your project. You could use v69 polyester. Nylon is more elastic under stress and is more UV resistant. I always use nylon unless I absolutely don't want something to stretch or give at all, then I use polyester.