A big elk....

ChasenH1-8s

Lil-Rokslider
Mixed emotions here... But I will play devils advocate. If someone came up to me and said hey, if you have $500 bucks I have 10 guys that will help you shoot the biggest bull in the state of Montana you better believe my answer would be yes. My 360k is probably his 500 bucks.
obviously this has come close to ruining hunting and just an average guided hunt is insane to me.
The other credit he does indeed deserve is the shot. If anyone has shot long range, you know you don’t just roll up and nail a 960 yard shot. Even if you do have someone helpingwith your dials. And credit to the guy calling the shot in that wind. Obviously they dialed that perfectly which isn’t in the video.
There is some credit to be had there. Just my thoughts.

Toothy12

FNG
Mixed emotions here... But I will play devils advocate. If someone came up to me and said hey, if you have $500 bucks I have 10 guys that will help you shoot the biggest bull in the state of Montana you better believe my answer would be yes. My 360k is probably his 500 bucks.
obviously this has come close to ruining hunting and just an average guided hunt is insane to me.
The other credit he does indeed deserve is the shot. If anyone has shot long range, you know you don’t just roll up and nail a 960 yard shot. Even if you do have someone helpingwith your dials. And credit to the guy calling the shot in that wind. Obviously they dialed that perfectly which isn’t in the video.
There is some credit to be had there. Just my thoughts.

I have to agree, on one hand this is almost laughable to describe this as a hunt. On the other hand, it is a fabulous display of shooting capability. Lots of guys criticize gun hunters and long range shooters I won't open that can now, but to say anyone can go make that shot just because they have a high dollar rifle is BS. It takes a great deal of skill and planning to pull off a cross canyon shot like that. Still not a huge fan of letting this go down as any kind of record though...

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone wants to beat this guy into the ground (JJ), so I was expecting the worst when I clicked on the video. Hard to see what the haters are seeing here.

He made an incredible shot and stays on the bull and makes a follow-up to boot. That's 2 hits at 1000 yards. He also asks for another round to be ready which his guide should have been pushing. Then when he gets over to bull he readily admits that he is not a hunter and gives the credit to all of the hunters to allow him the opportunity. He was respectful and gracious of the opportunity. He knows his money bought the opportunity and doesn't try to hide that fact. What more do you want?

Be pissed off at the system if you don't want someone to be able to buy record book bull/buck/etc.

Give this guy the credit he deserves. Great shooting, humility and respect for those that did the legwork.

Toothy12

FNG
Everyone wants to beat this guy into the ground (JJ), so I was expecting the worst when I clicked on the video. Hard to see what the haters are seeing here.

He made an incredible shot and stays on the bull and makes a follow-up to boot. That's 2 hits at 1000 yards. He also asks for another round to be ready which his guide should have been pushing. Then when he gets over to bull he readily admits that he is not a hunter and gives the credit to all of the hunters to allow him the opportunity. He was respectful and gracious of the opportunity. He knows his money bought the opportunity and doesn't try to hide that fact. What more do you want?

Be pissed off at the system if you don't want someone to be able to buy record book bull/buck/etc.

Give this guy the credit he deserves. Great shooting, humility and respect for those that did the legwork.

Great point, don't fault the man, Fault the system...

Tsimms

FNG

I agree. Looked like a successful hunt to me. If I had his money you can bet your ass I’d be doing whatever I could to shoot a bull like this and 90% of the guys on here would too. Just won’t admit it. Don’t hate the guy because he is successful. In more ways than one.

hntr

FNG
Nothing about this represents hunting. This is just a "kill" If this is your idea of hunting just go to your high fence. No amount of money that could go to conservation can justify the slap in the face this is to what hunting means. Guy didn't even have another bullet ready. He asked one of his peasants to hand him one. Also everyone ok with this, say this was a unit in Colorado that took you 20 years to draw and you scouted it non stop for a year. (by the way I know this was in AZ just an ex here) How are you gonna feel if a whole army tromps around the unit you spend a lifetime to draw and scouted just to have some fat ass wreck the whole unit a week before bc this is only gonna get worse the more we condone it and justify it saying it goes to conservation. BTW does anyone even know how this money gets allocated. Might just be a big fat bonus for the higher ups for all we know. I know I'll piss a few off with my comments, but watch this video and ask yourself why we should just be ok with this.

Gila

WKR
I have to agree with Laramie. The money from Gov tags go (hopefully) to a good cause for game management and such. Personally, I think a good portion of that guv tag money should go to disabled veterans for a hunt who don't have the ability to earn an income to afford an elk hunt at all. If I was the main stain outfitter; I think I would have found another trophy. A bull like that should be breeding till he drops dead from old age. The contribution to the gene pool is huge, no pun intended. Having said all that; if a Gila bull like that walks in front of me next month, I will drop him in his tracks! :cool:

Spend all year hiking and watching what I eat to make sure I can get to the areas I need to find my game. My success comes from the hard work I put into the hunt from conditioning, scouting and the hunt which is followed by the pack out and processing all on my own (maybe a helpful friend or two packing out ;)). I've never looked at a deer or elk and wondered what it scores as it means nothing to me. I'm very impressed with the shot put on the bull but in the end I'm glad it brought in great money for AZ and the bull wasn't wasted to a worthless scum poacher.

md126

WKR
Kind of the like the guy who can’t get laid on his own so he hires a prostitute....

Good shooting I guess but not hunting in any way shape or form.

50 years ago with a 270 a four power scope i would have said it was amazing. there is nothing amazing about that shot with todays guns and optics.

The only think I don't like is the sparing of bullets after the initial shot. It doesn't sit right with me to be laughing while an animal you just poked 1000 yards out is still struggling.

Nobody asked me though, I guess.

KurtR

WKR
Nothing about this represents hunting. This is just a "kill" If this is your idea of hunting just go to your high fence. No amount of money that could go to conservation can justify the slap in the face this is to what hunting means. Guy didn't even have another bullet ready. He asked one of his peasants to hand him one. Also everyone ok with this, say this was a unit in Colorado that took you 20 years to draw and you scouted it non stop for a year. (by the way I know this was in AZ just an ex here) How are you gonna feel if a whole army tromps around the unit you spend a lifetime to draw and scouted just to have some fat ass wreck the whole unit a week before bc this is only gonna get worse the more we condone it and justify it saying it goes to conservation. BTW does anyone even know how this money gets allocated. Might just be a big fat bonus for the higher ups for all we know. I know I'll piss a few off with my comments, but watch this video and ask yourself why we should just be ok with this.

Guess life isnt fair.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Lots of sour grapes here for a guy who can afford to hire guides and legally kill a great Bull. Not my cup of tea, or should I say cup of gold. If he's happy with it and he did it legal, good for him.

Cmcgruder

FNG
This makes me appreciate bow hunting so much more......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First off you really can not call this a HUNT it was a Shooting the guy that shot the bull has lots of $$ Great for him but this should Never have been released to the public. The guy in the video shoots then asks someone to hand him another round !! You can hear one of the guides tell him after the bull is down by the log & not dead to not shoot again he might hit the horns !! Then everyone { 20 plus guys } are all at the dead bull & here comes the shooter riding up on a mule & has to have help to get down ?? grabs his gloves & hiking poles to walk 30 yards up the hill WTF !! The guy never touches the animal is seen sitting under a tarp on a frickin lawn chair while these other guys take care of his animal !!!! Glad he likes to hunt but IF you cant get hike the country your in go do a Dude ranch hunt that animal should have been harvested by an Actual boots & sweat & time put in hunter !!!! Just my 2 cents

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
I mean I wouldn't call it my style of hunt. But this was atleast (presumably) on public land, where he paid for the guides (paying for information and gear) , paid for the tag, and nailed the shot. Guy above saying it's easy for just anyone to do that now is just wrong. Most folks still struggle with 400yds and in. Unless he bought magic bullets that ignore the wind in entirety and have homing capability. I dont like it, and would have sunk my gut even watching it. It was legal though and there was just a post the other day about tipping guides. Here comes a guy doling out money for this and everyone's up in arms. I'd rather do it myself, but guides are a business. I'd rather someone who does actually hunt have that elk, but life ain't fair. Anyone is welcomed to go buy that governor's tag and pay those guides or go scout out that elk themselves.

I'd be willing to bet 50% of texas hunts like this lol. It's either public, lease, or this. Possibly poach. Lol.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of sour grapes here for a guy who can afford to hire guides and legally kill a great Bull. Not my cup of tea, or should I say cup of gold. If he's happy with it and he did it legal, good for him.
To me it's not even about that he hired guides. It's the fact that the guides had people camped on top of the bull for a couple weeks straight watching every move. Might as well have cell cams out. Just doesn't appear as fair chase to me, let alone any of the general public that happens on the video.