90 degree hunts.... ugh

I know everyone hates hunting in the heat. But I've had great luck in the heat. More so than any other weather.
As long as it's consistently warm the bulls in my area can be super active.
But as soon as a cold front hits they go quiet until the weather stabilizes back out.

Just be smart. I have a giant yeti I pack with dry ice, blocks and cubes. It will keep for two weeks. Work fast. You can also use shade areas and creeks to cache the meat between loads out.

Also it keeps the "it's too hot to hunt" amateurs at home.

OP
rodney482

rodney482

WKR
So you made me check my weather forecast. Maybe ill pick some hiking shorts this go around.
My buddy killed a cow on a wallow Saturday (Where im headed) it was 91 degrees, he packed it out in shorts .

The wallows have been super active

I was out last weekend and it was plenty hot (90-95°+). Not much moving around in the heat of the day but there was good activity in the morning/evening. My friend got her cow close to dark on saturday and it was the best thing that happened. No flies/yellowjackets to battle while cutting up the meat and we got a bearable temp for the packout. We had coolers with frozen water jugs waiting at the truck.

Plan accordingly for the heat and it's not too bad. I bring extra water and have coolers with ice ready to go.

IDVortex

WKR
Talks of bugles still, even with the heat. Sadly I'm driving to Montana this weekend. But come Wednesday night I'm headed north to try and kill a bull, hopefully this coming weekends weather gets more action going. Would love to get some rain. Hate hunting in rain, but just after rain is some of the best hunting imo.

Can’t head out for a few more weeks🙁. Gonna miss that cool morning action and noon shade naps. Stay hydrated out there!

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Been brutally hot here in Northern Idaho. Elk still seems splenty active though.

Not a fan of sweating my ass off though!!

jahaze

FNG
Sweated our balls off for three days in Wyoming on a cow hunt. Saw seven bulls the first two days, no cows...

Finally tagged out on day three with 10-minutes of shooting light left. Buddy and I got a double, memorable hunt and the freezer is full!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldor

WKR
They are buginlg all night, shutting down early though. Prescribed burns are not helping either.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, I just got back from elk hunting early. Seems like the elk were moving less. Flies were terrible...and a few skeeters though I spray my clothes so no bites. It was 90 deg down on the flats but at the spot a couple thousand feet higher I packed in to, it maybe hit high 70's and possibly 80 deg.

I had cams on 2 water sources- 5 and 6 miles in. Most pics were at night and no good bulls. My buddy 10 miles away did have a couple decent bulls on his cams. I was counting on guys pushing elk into those areas...but alas...not nearly as much pressure as I thought- very few guys hunting that early.

It was Very slow during the day, and the bulls didn't start bugling until about the 4th or 5th. I passed about a dozen spikes...and only saw 2 branch antlered bulls...one jumped the string on my recurve[ Crazy, I know] and I shot the other one with my compound at 9;50 in the AM- weird time.

Getting the meat out before it spoiled just about killed me.....as I was packing almost non stop for 2 days. I was at high elevation so the nighttime temps saved me- though it didn't get as cold at night as it usually does, it was enough to keep the meat in great shape.
IMG_1456.jpegIMG_1431.jpegI