9 months, should I just buy another suppressor?

grainhog

FNG
I paid for a Harvester Evo in October 2023. Approaching 9 months ago and it's still sitting on a shelf in a gun shop. I keep hearing stories of more recent submissions being approved in several days. At this rate I'm afraid I'm not going to get to shoot a single shot with it, much less actually shoot it enough to dial my rifle in, before antelope. Should I just go buy another 30 cal suppressor and see what happens? So ridiculous.

NickT406

FNG
Classified Approved
Longest anybody I know locally has had to wait recently is a week or less. I know 4 guys that bought them after work and picked them up the next morning

IDVortex

WKR
Was it bought with a trust or as a individual? Individuals are the ones that's being approved quickly. I got my can in about 31 days.

TheHammer

WKR
I had a scythe take 4months on individual, while waiting I purchased a recce5 and that was approved in 3 days time, before my scythe which I just recently received approval.

Bluefish

WKR
You can also cancel a submission and resubmit, but if it’s already in queue, why? If you are 9 months, you have an issue on a background check. You can confirm this by calling the atf and asking about the status. It will either be one of two stages, waiting on background check or in process. In process is code for waiting for atf to look at it.

I have not had a trust go for 9 months since last year and I get delayed on every one.

If you have a delay on your background check, then either wait for it to clear or contact a congress/senator to see if you can break it free.

Last edited:

wesfromky

WKR
Wait times are still all over the place. Canceling and refiling is no guarantee if getting one of the fast approvals. If you buy another, there is the possibility of getting a "batch" approval, though those also still seem sorta random.

You can call the atf and check the status - likely you are pending NICS check with the FBI. You can also try to contact the FBI, but they are not super helpful. You can also try to get your congress critter involved, though that doesn't always work.

For reference, I certified another OCL 70+ days ago as an individual and it is still waiting. Most likely because my NICS checks are always delayed.

My trust approved last week. 323 days. Was waiting for FBI for months. Call and ask. If waiting for FBI, definitely don't cancel.

You can try buying another using individual and see. Can you live without it till next season?

Was it bought with a trust or as an individual? Individuals are the ones that's being approved quickly. I got my can in about 31 days.
This.

If it was a trust with more than one person, especially if one of the trustees has a common name, it will take longer.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
I’d just wait it out, but if you could use another (who doesn’t need two suppressors), you might get that one approved super quick.

I had a TBAC 22 TD that I certified in early Feb as a single shot trust. I then bought and certified a Dead Air Mask mid - March when the individual approvals were like 2 days. I eventually was approved for the TBAC in mid-April and then received approval for the Dead Air late April. 6 - 8 weeks wasn’t terrible at all, but felt forever when friends and family were getting them back in 48 hours haha.

king402

FNG
Same for me. Been waiting since December. Individual and not a trust. I called the ATF and the lady said it was in process. So frustrating! I’ve debated on trying to get another one and see if I can get it in a batch approval.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Same for me. Been waiting since December. Individual and not a trust. I called the ATF and the lady said it was in process. So frustrating! I’ve debated on trying to get another one and see if I can get it in a batch approval.
Batch didn't work for me, but that's just typical of my luck.

I think the hardest thing right now might be finding the suppressor that you want in stock. The fast approvals sure took care of inventory and many like TBAC are out of stock for who knows how long.

Geewhiz

WKR
Longest anybody I know locally has had to wait recently is a week or less. I know 4 guys that bought them after work and picked them up the next morning
What cans are they buying that they can find in stock? Seams like every can I look up is out of stock on manufacture back order.

Isn't setting up a UPIN supposed to speed it up quite a bit? You could do that and buy another. I'm wishing I would have done that. They told me it's usually been about 2 days but now I'm at 10, so I'm worried it's gone off into the 3 month ether