7PRC Tikka Prefit with Chassis... Opinions Needed

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to build a 7PRC using a T3X Tikka action, Prefit barrel, and chassis. Purpose of the rifle is mainly LR steel with some LR hunting a possibility (in Texas). Weight/mobility not an issue. I will likely put at least a Sendero contour on it and build the rifle with enough heft that the recoil is easily manageable.

If the overall build (without optics) exceeds ~$2000 I will just bump up to a custom rifle and nix the tikka build idea.

Looking for some opinions..

1) Will the KRG Bravo Chassis work with this setup or do I need to go with something else like an MDT? I hear mixed things about Tikka not having any difference between SA and LA except for bolt stop but not sure what is actually compatible. KRG says the Bravo is for "Tikka SA" which I am guessing means it is not compatible?

2) Any other chassis or stocks you would recommend instead?

3) Is there a benefit to choosing a variable shoulder barrel vs a fixed shoulder?

4) Having never owned a Tikka, what is the factory trigger like? Are there any aftermarket springs to lighten it up or should I just go for a Timney/TT?

5) Are there any other build ideas you have (with different actions, stocks, etc) that you would recommend for my project?

thanks!!

1. You are correct. Tikka is SA/LA compatible but that is depending on the cartridge selection. Since the 7 prc is not SA it won’t work with the KRG. There are talks of a LA krg bravo but nothing definitive yet.

2. Is look at a manners with a mini chassis. I have 3 and they are phenomenal.

3. No real benefit unless you’re a stickler for head spacing. With a variable, you’ll need a barrel nut. PVA has that option.

4. The stock trigger is just about perfect, unless you want a 2 stage. Yodave and mountain tactical make springs if you want to lighten it up some while still maintaining no creep or post travel.

5. MDT has some nice chassis’ as well

Hope that helps some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtriple

WKR
1. You are correct. Tikka is SA/LA compatible but that is depending on the cartridge selection. Since the 7 prc is not SA it won’t work with the KRG. There are talks of a LA krg bravo but nothing definitive yet.

2. Is look at a manners with a mini chassis. I have 3 and they are phenomenal.

3. No real benefit unless you’re a stickler for head spacing. With a variable, you’ll need a barrel nut. PVA has that option.

4. The stock trigger is just about perfect, unless you want a 2 stage. Yodave and mountain tactical make springs if you want to lighten it up some while still maintaining no creep or post travel.

5. MDT has some nice chassis’ as well

Hope that helps some.

Doesn't a variable shoulder kinda defeat the purpose of a pre-fit?

@OP, I'll add to what echampion said.

2. Trying to stay under $2k in total (without optics), I'd just keep the factory stock for now. At a minimum, build a $5 cheek riser (w/ a cut up yoga mat, double-sided gorilla tape, and some vet wrap). You can also get the vertical grip ($15), arca rail ($75), and limb-saver pad ($45). Then you can sell the whole stock once you upgrade....

Once you can put more money into it, then make the jump to an MDT HNT26 or an XLR Element MG 4.0.

4. I echo what champion said... the factory trigger is unbelievably good. A $15 spring is all you need if you want to decrease the pull weight.

5. If you haven't already, I'd invest in a suppressor. TBAC Ultras are what I've got, but there's other good ones. If you are only in Texas, then you benefit from the Made In Texas cans.

If you are looking to do the barrel install yourself, I'm offering my tools for rent in the thread in my sig.

Best of luck! I'm building a 7PRC Tikka semi-custom right now as well. But mine is an 18" barrel with an ultralight stock.

NWRoger

FNG
I have an MDT oryx chassis up for sale right now that fits your needs.