7mm SAW Questions

jk_minn

FNG
But what are the advantages over a standard 7mm08? Is it worth the extra effort in building a custom rifle? We can load down the 7saum to match 708 recoil bit you can't load up 7saw/08/ai to match the 7saum. I'm just curious is all and not bashing anyone's choice to build the rifle they want.
The longest heaviest bullet you can seat in a 7-08 while fitting in a short action is around 140 grains (while not seating the boat tail to far into the case body). With the 7 SAW you can seat a 168/175 gr Berger and keep its pressure ring at/above the donut area of the case neck.

Attachments

• IMG_4196.jpeg
    IMG_4196.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4198.jpeg
    IMG_4198.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 60

AkRyan

WKR
The longest heaviest bullet you can seat in a 7-08 while fitting in a short action is around 140 grains (while not seating the boat tail to far into the case body). With the 7 SAW you can seat a 168/175 gr Berger and keep its pressure ring at/above the donut area of the case neck.
Solids I can see this for sure.

grfox92

WKR
I don't follow. I load and shoot 162 ELDM out of my short action X Bolt. Over all length is whatever the maximum my magazine allows. I forget the number, but it's well over book OAL

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

OP
wabash503

wabash503

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is built with a 20" Bartlein barrel and I can get 2808 fps shooting a 162 grain ELD-X with 43.0 grains of Varget, a CCI200 primer and Lapua brass. This is a max load in my rifle, so work up. My current hunting load is 48.5 grains of H4350, a Win LR primer, and the same Lapua brass pushing a 150 grain Nosler ABLR at 2786 fps. I have room to go up, but that load shoots so good, I haven't felt the need.
How are you getting a higher MV from a heavier bullet w/ less powder?

wyosam

WKR
But what are the advantages over a standard 7mm08? Is it worth the extra effort in building a custom rifle? We can load down the 7saum to match 708 recoil bit you can't load up 7saw/08/ai to match the 7saum. I'm just curious is all and not bashing anyone's choice to build the rifle they want.

Less brass trimming, longer brass life, desire to be a little different (probably the biggest one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tthomp302

FNG
I am a huge fan of 7mm SAW. Have had 2 barrels in it now. I use it for PRS and hunting. We have a Facebook page for it. 7mm SAW forum if anyone would like to join.

OP
wabash503

wabash503

Lil-Rokslider
I am a huge fan of 7mm SAW. Have had 2 barrels in it now. I use it for PRS and hunting. We have a Facebook page for it. 7mm SAW forum if anyone would like to join.
What loads are you running? Barrel length? MVs? Thx!

Tthomp302

FNG
What loads are you running? Barrel length? MVs? Thx!
So I run my 7 SAW according to pressure on GRT. Right now I’m using h4350 and with a 26” barrel I am getting 2600-2620 with a 180 grain berger. Which is really still great performance. The way I look at 7 SAW is being a high bc .308.

Reactions: HGL

khuber84

WKR
So I run my 7 SAW according to pressure on GRT. Right now I’m using h4350 and with a 26” barrel I am getting 2600-2620 with a 180 grain berger. Which is really still great performance. The way I look at 7 SAW is being a high bc .308.
Don't most 7saw shooters run 160 class bullets over 2800fps? I know a 180 Berger has really solid bc, but wouldnt a 162 eldm or 168vld with the velocity advantage extend the range of your minimum velocity for bullet expansion? Running numbers looks like a 160 class doesn't drop below 1900fps till 800y, where the 180s slowing to same threshold at. 650y.

I don't shoot 7saw, but have always been intrigued by the case, and 7-08ai. These smaller cases with larger diameter bores always seem to do well with midweight class bullets.

A little late to the party here, but I just received my WTO built rifle a couple months back and started logging some range time with it. Built with the intention of hunting, I went with a Zermatt SR3 action, Wyatt's extended length mag and a Bartlein 22" CFW barrel chambered by WTO with the 7 SAW II reamer. Broke in with H4350 and found a max with 162 ELDX's a little slower than I'd have liked. So far it's looking like Varget is gonna be the way to go for this cartridge for hunting weight bullets, still feel like I'm maybe a half grain shy of max on all my ladders shown here. I just ripped a few quick ladders with some hunting bullets yesterday and put a few excel sheets together with the data! Hopefully this helps someone on the thread here!

Attachments

• B120TTSX.png
    B120TTSX.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 28
  • B150TTSX.png
    B150TTSX.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 29
  • BD2.png
    BD2.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 32
  • H162ELDX.png
    H162ELDX.png
    150.3 KB · Views: 30
  • SS2.png
    SS2.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: HGL

khuber84

WKR
That's surprising, how is WTO advertising 16X class bullets at 2850 all day from a 26" tube. How many rounds on your barrel? My 3 Bartleins have all sped up 50-70fps by round 100. Magnums were done by 80ish rounds.

Ive pondered the idea of a 6saw, it'd essentially be same as a 6 comp match, and a few gr behind the 243 ackley but still have a long neck.

wyosam

WKR
That's surprising, how is WTO advertising 16X class bullets at 2850 all day from a 26" tube. How many rounds on your barrel? My 3 Bartleins have all sped up 50-70fps by round 100. Magnums were done by 80ish rounds.

Ive pondered the idea of a 6saw, it'd essentially be same as a 6 comp match, and a few gr behind the 243 ackley but still have a long neck.

Numbers are pretty similar to what I see from my 20” 7-08 Ackley. If they actually say “all day long”, I’d just assume BS from the get go. I’ve noticed that when that phrase shows up in shooting, whatever was said just before that is probably complete BS. If they are getting there, it’s a high pressure round for sure. You can only do so much with a chamber. Extend the throat, change the leade, square it up, etc. But without increasing the powder charge a bunch, all you have to work with is the pressure curve. The 7-08 Ackley adds minimal extra powder, and the 7saw even less than that. At least their numbers aren’t as crazy as the 7-08 Moses people like to spout.

Numbers are pretty similar to what I see from my 20” 7-08 Ackley. If they actually say “all day long”, I’d just assume BS from the get go. I’ve noticed that when that phrase shows up in shooting, whatever was said just before that is probably complete BS. If they are getting there, it’s a high pressure round for sure. You can only do so much with a chamber. Extend the throat, change the leade, square it up, etc. But without increasing the powder charge a bunch, all you have to work with is the pressure curve. The 7-08 Ackley adds minimal extra powder, and the 7saw even less than that. At least their numbers aren’t as crazy as the 7-08 Moses people like to spout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

You're looking at most of the rounds I've sent through the barrel, only 40-50rds through it. Like I said above, the varget loads still have more to go before I'd say they're at max pressure. I went to a range with these built up to see where I was at.

Based on their chart, for my 22" tube, I'm sitting only 38fps below their advertised 2760 with the 162 ELD-X, and only 13fps below their advertised speeds with the 150gr Scirocco. If I throw a little more powder in to reach my max, and then figure an extra 20-25fps/inch, I see no reason you couldn't reach 2850 out of the 16X class of bullet in a 26" tube.

Haha "all day long" does usually translate to "never in a million years". I personally didn't see that anywhere on WTO's website, they're really just selling a 7-08 that's optimized for a little heavier pill than normal. I'd expect that I'll continue to see similar speeds to a 7-08 Ackley in the 120-162gr range of bullets. I haven't seen anything that leads me to doubt their velo chart on the 7 SAW FAQ page.

khuber84

WKR
Haha "all day long" does usually translate to "never in a million years". I personally didn't see that anywhere on WTO's website, they're really just selling a 7-08 that's optimized for a little heavier pill than normal. I'd expect that I'll continue to see similar speeds to a 7-08 Ackley in the 120-162gr range of bullets. I haven't seen anything that leads me to doubt their velo chart on the 7 SAW FAQ page.
Straight off WTO site.
Screenshot_20240728_080936_Chrome.jpg

JRS3

Lil-Rokslider
Following this. I hope to see more details on 18-20” barrels.

khuber84

WKR
Lol! I was talking about the "all day long" part you goober. Like I said above, with a brand new 22" barrel, new brass and no signs of pressure, I'm getting 2720. Add 4" of barrel and a half grain of varget and I'd bet you're right in that 2850 fps range.
That's def more acceptable. I'm used to the Sherman wildcat bullshit game, ya know where you dump every case full of N570/RL26 from a 26" Broughton barrel and a bat action, then he advertises that velocity is attainable "all day long". If you can't get it, you have a bad barrel. Richard is king douche bag snake oil salesman.

That's def more acceptable. I'm used to the Sherman wildcat bullshit game, ya know where you dump every case full of N570/RL26 from a 26" Broughton barrel and a bat action, then he advertises that velocity is attainable "all day long". If you can't get it, you have a bad barrel. Richard is king douche bag snake oil salesman.

Haha I haven't looked into those cartridges at all but I'm with you, that's Grade A douchebaggery. Hell he might get off to extreme throat erosion.. I guess who am I to yuck his yum?