7mm Rem Mag T3x SuperLite

Hi all! First time poster but I've been reading a lot of the threads on here and learning a ton (thank you everyone!).
I look forward to interacting more with everyone on these boards.

On to the questions, this could easily turn into a long post so I'll save more details for replies and try to keep it as simple as possible.

I have a Factory 7mm Rem Mag Tikka T3x SuperLite 24" Barrel 1:9.5" Twist that I want to use as my long range hunting rifle (generally >200 yards, max range TBD by my shooting capabilities and the rifle/bullets, ideally around 1MOA with a bullet that kills well).
Multiple big game species (British Columbia, Canada) as targets.

I am wondering if this rifle/barrel is capable of stabilizing and grouping heavier bullets (especially at extended ranges beyond 400yds) before I spend the money/time/effort reloading for it.

Can someone more experienced help me out with this? (I hope Form replies to this as I really enjoyed your other thread on your reloading method and it's how I plan to reload myself)

Potential bullets I'm looking at (I'm also open to advice on these or other options):
ELD-X 162gr, 175gr
ELD-M 162gr, 180gr
Accubond 160gr
Accubond LR 168gr, 175gr
Barnes LRX 168gr
Berger HVLD 168gr, 180gr
Berger Elite Hunter 175gr

Looking forward to some knowledgeable reloaders / hunters / shooters helping me out on this journey.
You shouldn’t have any problem stabilizing the 162 eld-x. You might could even get up to 175 grain bullets to stabilize but if you don’t want to waste the time and components, I would recommend staying around the 162 grain bullets and below. My load is 68.5 grains of reloder 26 with the 162 eld-x and it shoots lights out. I also use reloder 22 with excellent accuracy results but don’t remember how many grains off the top of my head. Good luck!

You shouldn’t have any problem stabilizing the 162 eld-x. You might could even get up to 175 grain bullets to stabilize but if you don’t want to waste the time and components, I would recommend staying around the 162 grain bullets and below. My load is 68.5 grains of reloder 26 with the 162 eld-x and it shoots lights out. I also use reloder 22 with excellent accuracy results but don’t remember how many grains off the top of my head. Good luck!
Thanks Country! Unfortunately I can't get either RL-26 or RL-22 right now so I'll have to settle for other powder options but I appreciate your information!

Powder Valley has Retumbo in stock, and it works great in my 7mags with 160gr bullets. I believe they waive hazmat today for cyber Monday.

Powder Valley has Retumbo in stock, and it works great in my 7mags with 160gr bullets. I believe they waive hazmat today for cyber Monday.
Thanks JG, I managed to snag a bunch of Retumbo from my local store here and will be trying it for sure.

My Tikka 7 Rem Mag load is a 160 Accubond, RP brass, CCI 200 and 72 grains of MagPro. Bullet seated at Mag length. 3.330 COAL. If I recall, velocity is around 2950.

Before you go too far down the rat hole of trying a lot of various powders and bullets, be sure that your shooting technique is using best practices. I do not know your abilities, but can give an example from myself to illustrate.

I started back into shooting a couple of years ago after about a 10-year break, and honestly had never developed a knowledge of proper shooting technique. I wasn't getting desirable groups (less than 1 moa) with my 7 Rem Mag. After a discussion with a competitive shooter at the range, I came home and did some online research about best practices when shooting from a bench, prone, etc. Basically, I had been clenching the fore-end of the rifle with my free hand and imparting error due to flinch and varied grip. Now, I don't touch the fore-end and let it rest on a bag, rest, or bipid. The next step was reducing barrel rise by proper body positioning. This worked significantly increased to about .8 moa.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Back