7mm Rem Mag Ruger M77 mark 2 for elk

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
I’m using my dad’s old Ruger M77 mark 2 7mm rem mag for elk this fall. I’m shooting Federal fusion 175gr rounds from it because he bought a bunch when he planned an elk hunt 10 years ago when he though he was gonna use the gun (he was gifted another rifle for the hunt). Does anyone have experience with this round and rifle model? Is the bullet I’m shooting for it good too? I’m forced to use this gun for this season till I can get my hand on my dad’s sako (he lives in Louisiana). The groupings below are from this weekend at 100 yards. Grouping 1 was with a led sled and I adjusted a little bit after that. Grouping 2 was me shouldering the rifle resting on a block. IMG_5353.jpeg

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to mention the ammo is 175gr federal fusion

WCB

WKR
Rifle and round are fine. Your lead sled group is pretty darn good. Your 2nd "group" shows you need practice and has nothing to do with the ammo imo. Pretty messy target with all the other holes.

I would practice a lot more and get a rest on a a sand bag with a rear rest until you are comfortable then work on shooting from hunting positions.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle and round are fine. Your lead sled group is pretty darn good. Your 2nd "group" shows you need practice and has nothing to do with the ammo imo.
Any tips on shooting the beast of a gun? It kicks like a mule so maybe I’m flinching. I had also shot about 55 rounds total that sitting (40 were through another gun that surprisingly kicked more than I thought) so I was also probably a little fatigued. Would you say I should site in at around 200 yards?

Elkhntr08

WKR
Fine rifle and a great elk round.
I never shoot that many rounds in a sitting for fear of developing bad habits. Clean the bore, fire a fouling shot then shoot 3 rounds. See where you’re at.
Recoil is relative to each person. I had a Mark 2 in 7 mag, laminated stock and didn’t think it was too bad. Limiting the rounds fired may help change your perspective.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Fine rifle and a great elk round.
I never shoot that many rounds in a sitting for fear of developing bad habits. Clean the bore, fire a fouling shot then shoot 3 rounds. See where you’re at.
Recoil is relative to each person. I had a Mark 2 in 7 mag, laminated stock and didn’t think it was too bad. Limiting the rounds fired may help change your perspective.
True. I was trying to site it in at 100 yards before going to the 200 yard range. When I go to the 200 yard range I will try and not shoot as much. Can cleaning the bore help a bit? I don’t think the bore has ever been cleaned.

That is an elk killing gun and wish I still had mine. I sold it when I started elk hunting which was when I started bowhunting. Killed alot of deer with that gun. I thought I could just go down and buy one a couple years ago only to find out they didn't make it anymore. Now I'm stuck with the Browning version. Which shoots the Fusion better than anything else I've tried

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
That is an elk killing gun and wish I still had mine. I sold it when I started elk hunting which was when I started bowhunting. Killed alot of deer with that gun. I thought I could just go down and buy one a couple years ago only to find out they didn't make it anymore. Now I'm stuck with the Browning version. Which shoots the Fusion better than anything else I've tried
So it seems like the fusion is a good round to use for the 7 mag

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said the rifle and bullet are solid. Practice more. My 3006 groups really start to open up once that barrel heats up. Slow down, shoot another gun, swab your barrel, etc in between groups to let the barrel cool. Your hunting shot will be with a cold clean barrel most of the time

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle and ammo should be good. Yes, I would zero at 200, on good bags if you can stand the recoil. If you already corrected the windage, I would guess 3-4 clicks of elevation should get you there. Go shoot it again and enjoy, recoil is fun!

Ddubs20

FNG
Federal fusion is good ammo. I personally have shot lighter weight bullets the last 10 years. There is a noticeable jump in recoil from a 150-160 grain up to 175 grain. I have killed elk with 140 accubonds or I now shoot 140 grain copper. Federal makes a 150 grain fusion, your gun might group tighter with lighter bullets and beat your shoulder up less.

elkmaster

FNG
I’m using my dad’s old Ruger M77 mark 2 7mm rem mag for elk this fall. I’m shooting Federal fusion 175gr rounds from it because he bought a bunch when he planned an elk hunt 10 years ago when he though he was gonna use the gun (he was gifted another rifle for the hunt). Does anyone have experience with this round and rifle model? Is the bullet I’m shooting for it good too? I’m forced to use this gun for this season till I can get my hand on my dad’s sako (he lives in Louisiana). The groupings below are from this weekend at 100 yards. Grouping 1 was with a led sled and I adjusted a little bit after that. Grouping 2 was me shouldering the rifle resting on a block. View attachment 739832
I would say the shooter assisted group looks fine, too bad you're stuck with that ammo - there are much better options out there

WKR
I had good luck with 150gr fusions in a ruger 7mag, but I didn't know they even loaded 175s. I'm not sure what the twist rate of that ruger is, but I'm surprised they are stable. I'm definitely not a bullet stability expert, by any stretch.

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
Twist rate in that gun is 1:9.5. That is right on the edge of being able to stabilize a 175grn bullet, where a 1:9 or 1:8 would be better. It appears that you are getting a typical group where stabilization is borderline, with a couple in, an a flyer or two. I suggest trying a 160ish grain bullet, that will probably group much, much better.

As an FYI, my wife's gun is a Ruger M77 stainless 7mm Mag, and it shoots 175 Nosler PT well, but no other 175 bullet shoots worth a darn out of it. Anything lighter than 175 is all good. Her gun (as it is ported, cut down, soft pad, etc.) has been used by a herself, myself, and many others to take game ranging from bison, elk, deer, mountain goat, pronghorn, pigs. Gun is fine. Just find a load that shoots well out of it.

Elkhntr08

WKR
True. I was trying to site it in at 100 yards before going to the 200 yard range. When I go to the 200 yard range I will try and not shoot as much. Can cleaning the bore help a bit? I don’t think the bore has ever been cleaned.
Won’t help with recoil but grouping maybe. Only time I don’t clean my rifles is when I’m shooting all copper Barnes bullets.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
thank you all for the help. It looks like I might go with the jornady 162gr eld-x for the bullet twist

LaFever

FNG
I'm guessing the Ruger 77 has a hard ,red rubber recoil pad on it .
It's probably too late now as we are too close to the season to have the recoil pad changed by you or a gunsmith.
My ruger #1in 300 win mag wears a pachmayr decelerator recoil pad and a kdf muzzle break though most people avoid muzzle breaks due to the noise level.
175 gr. Bullets in the 7 mag. Make that rifle grizzly bear capable.
Shooting at big game in the rocky mountain west is a learned skill and in the modern times, range finders are common and probably provide a service to our big
Game animals because estimating range with the naked eye is not a very good idea since we now have technology to help us.
In my younger years we shot at prairie dogs which I believe helped with open country, ad hoc rifle rests. Hopefully, if you get a shot you'll have time to find an improvised rest .
It may be helpful to practice various Shooting positions, prone,sitting, kneeling and off hand
Good luck with your hunting

bascott1

WKR
Fusions are perfectly fine. I have killed 3 bulls with 150 fusions out of my 270 wsm out to 500 yards. 270 wsm and 7mm mag are pretty similar ballistic wise. Go kill stuff. Your good to go

Get a new recoil pad and either port the barrel or see if it can be threaded for a muzzle break. Be sure and wear your “ear pro”. Had to use the correct term here since using the term “hearing protection” is frowned upon. I like muzzle breaks which gets me crucified all the time. 🤣