7mm rem mag load info needed

Mike26

FNG
Any load info for 7mm Rem Mag using H4831SC & 162 gr ELD-X? Looking for grouping results at 300 + yards.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Obviously work up safely, but near Hodgdons published max with that combo or H1000 shot really well in my Rem 700 7RM.

OP
Mike26

Mike26

FNG

Newbie​

H1000 is impossible to find here. So H4831sc is what I'm going with. Only tried 3 loads at 100 yards so far and not grouping up to standards. Thought I'd throw this post out to maybe skip a couple steps & consuming time.

49ereric

WKR

Newbie​

H1000 is impossible to find here. So H4831sc is what I'm going with. Only tried 3 loads at 100 yards so far and not grouping up to standards. Thought I'd throw this post out to maybe skip a couple steps & consuming time.
Find a bullet the barrel likes first.

OP
Mike26

Mike26

FNG
It loves the nosler ballistic silvertip 150 gr until you go past 200 yards and it's all over the paper. Bergers are sold out & everything I've read points to the ELD-X.

49ereric

WKR
It loves the nosler ballistic silvertip 150 gr until you go past 200 yards and it's all over the paper. Bergers are sold out & everything I've read points to the ELD-X.
All over can mean you have not found the true sweet spot for seating depth.

Firestone

WKR
I just saw some 180vlds not to long ago. That's what I have loaded for every 7mag. 68.5-71gr of retumbo. Always hammers. I did see powdervalley had a deal on 4831sc if you need more though. 15% off

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Not to be confrontational, but that's not ballistically possible, something else is going on. Do you have a brake on your rifle, or are you shooting a lightweight hunting magnum full force? What was your loading and testing procedure?

I've had good luck with the ELD. If you have the room I know they often shoot well at .050" off the lands, if not just load to functional mag length and test a few charges, you'll know within a few groups if that combo works or not.

All over can mean you have not found the true sweet spot for seating depth.
Take this advice with a grain of salt, this is a world class shooter loading on the fly, with a 20lb rifle that's custom everything. It's a great way to waste a ton of ammo in a factory or even custom 8lb hunting rifle setup. Within 15-20 rounds you should be able to see what the capabilities of the system with that combo are, any rounds down the tube past the initial indication is wasted barrel life.

49ereric

WKR
Take this advice with a grain of salt, this is a world class shooter loading on the fly, with a 20lb rifle that's custom everything. It's a great way to waste a ton of ammo in a factory or even custom 8lb hunting rifle setup. Within 15-20 rounds you should be able to see what the capabilities of the system with that combo are, any rounds down the tube past the initial indication is wasted barrel life.
i was doing this .003 bullet seating changes long ago to see where they tighten and then open up again in an 06 so wasn’t worried about barrel life. I don’t shoot far either but always to damn curious.
with rifle with a known short barrel life I agree with you 100%.

Last edited:

Mag_7s

WKR
Another vote for H1000 and Retumbo. I have 2 7rms and one loves Retumbo, and the other hates it. Both shooting 168 berger vlds. I can attest to what harvey_nw said. I tried to force Retumbo down the 2nd 7rm because my first one loved it. It shot well under 200, I would have 2 rounds touching then fire a third and it would be away from the group, fire a fourth and it would touch the third... OK, its me I'm not consistent with my cheek hold or have a flinch. It would do this consistently. So I guess I'm consistently consistent? All of which were under 1 inch groups. When I took that rifle to 1k yards I would have one round go over target and the next under. I banged my head against the wall for a while with this rifle. I sent the rifle back to the builder. They shot it with their load and it was in the .5s. The best I can figure is the retumbo was given me extremely high velocity spreads that wasn't showing on paper. I didn't have a reliable chronograph at the time, but that has been remedied since the struggle.

I've never heard of anyone trying to develop a precise load using a only specific powder AND specific bullet. Sounds like a fools errand to me. I understand some powders are hard to get, but if your seeking that level of precision, you might just have to poney up the cash for what powder works for your rifle. I'd settle for what you're achieving now, and spend time finding superior powders. That's why most of the reply's are pointing you to different powders.

LFC911

WKR
Our 7 rem mag with 168 VLDH shot best around 64.5 gr of H4831SC...2850-2900 fps depending upon the chrono. Case length = 2.5" and COAL = 3.4"