7MM Rem Mag and popularity...

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
DaveinJax, I thought about reloading for about a hot minute, I do not have the patience for it...thats just me, I commend all those that do it because I just cant...not really my thing...I know with hand loads, you can pretty much cook up your own recipe and fine tune it as you see fit...maybe in the future, I will get into it but for now am just staying with factory loads...I did look at the Savages, and honestly, me buying this Nosler is much of a want and a treat to myself after this deployment, so thats mainly why am going with the Nosler...I was able to save up for it...and that is usually what I do for my ammo as well, I actually work it into my monthly budget...being single with no kids allow me the flexibility to do that...I am leaning more towards the 7mm now, mainly because of the supposed lower recoil...dont want a big huge rifle that I refuse to shoot or don't shoot enough due to the kick...

wapitibob

WKR
I shoot a 7STW and after the first few shots on the bench I haven't noticed it. The first few kicked like a mule though. Put a good LR scope on it and a turret and it's not really fair to the animals.

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
I shoot a 7STW and after the first few shots on the bench I haven't noticed it. The first few kicked like a mule though. Put a good LR scope on it and a turret and it's not really fair to the animals.

Planning on getting either the Vortex PST scope or the Burries MTAC...leaning more towards Vortex though
l

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't fret about not finding 7mm bullets. Once we can't find them, we won't find anything except rocks.

I've been shooting a 7mm Rem Mag for 22 years. :) :) :)

FURMAN

WKR
I did not read every post in this thread so sorry if this has been said already. You will have to push a big .308 bullet pretty fast to exceed the 7mm Rem Mag pushing a 180 Berger around 3000 fps. In doing so you will increase the powder needed, the expense, and recoil. I love different calibers and am near insanity when it comes to wanting to try things that are different than what I already have so I understand the opinions of others when it comes to the cartridge they choose to shoot. That being said unless you "need" the energy to shoot animals at 1400 plus yards you are going to be hard pressed to beat the 7mm. In the end as long as you know your rifle and the ballistics of the cartridge you are shooting(not the published data but what it is actually doing), the animal will never know the difference.

Shrek

WKR
Izzy , if you are going with the model 48 nosler rifle you are not going with a designed long rang rifle. Cheek weld , hand grip , forward barrel weight are not going to be there and thats a tradeoff you make for lighter weight and better handling. That said you might want to look at the 280 AI Nosler. A more pleasant round to shoot with great performance. But.....the 7mm rem mag is a great round !

I'm ADD from h*ll and I hand load. When the guy next to you is shooting 10" thousand yard groups and you are just trying to keep it on paper you will develop some patience.

The nosler 48 is a really beautiful rifle but not a better shooting rifle than a savage imo.

Dave, while I absolutely love my 280 Ackley, I wouldn't suggest it at all to some one that doesn't hand load. I wouldn't hesitate to kill a deer or elk at 800 with mine but the only factory rounds I know of are made by nosler and aren't cheap.

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The model 48 is a fine, fine rifle. I agree that most factory Savages will shoot with them though.

As far as being a long-range rifle, it is a sporter and so would require monitoring barrel heat more closely than a heavy barreled rifle during practice sessions, but certainly any reasonably accurate rifle in 7mm RM is capable of shooting out to extended ranges (800 yards and in) at game-sized targets, if the shooter is capable, and it is equipped with an appropriate optic for shooting those ranges.

jls

FNG
I agree 100% with Daveinjax on the Savage Long Range Hunter line. Super accurate out of the box for factory rifle.

jls, I have had my .300 Jarrett for about 15 years and only rifle hunted. I burned up a barrel about every 6 years give or take a month or so since I had it. I shot the $hit of it back then as I didn't bow hunt at all. About 3 years ago I nearly quit rifle hunting all together as I felt like I was becoming a shooter and not a hunter. I put the 3rd barrel on back in 2009 and since have shot it much less as I mentioned. Those first years with it I probably did way to much experimenting with load configurations trying to make it a long range tack driver. Between running so many different configurations of loads, it ate the barrels up much faster than standard use did. Now I just shoot my work rifle all the time because I don't pay for ammunition or the gun, plus they will not re-barrel it, they just buy us new ones. Any other questions....

Thanks for filling in the missing pieces for me Rosin, I'm a bit thick-headed at times and just knew that there was something I wasn't understanding. I didn't mean to steer this too far from Izzy's OP

The mdl 48 TGR is a sweet looking rifle and would be a fine companion on any hunting trip. Let us know how it all works out for you

Last edited:

shaun

WKR
i did not read every post in this thread so sorry if this has been said already. You will have to push a big .308 bullet pretty fast to exceed the 7mm rem mag pushing a 180 berger around 3000 fps. In doing so you will increase the powder needed, the expense, and recoil. I love different calibers and am near insanity when it comes to wanting to try things that are different than what i already have so i understand the opinions of others when it comes to the cartridge they choose to shoot. That being said unless you "need" the energy to shoot animals at 1400 plus yards you are going to be hard pressed to beat the 7mm. In the end as long as you know your rifle and the ballistics of the cartridge you are shooting(not the published data but what it is actually doing), the animal will never know the difference.

x100

Toss up. Both calibers are excellent and proven killers. I shot my 7mm RM for several years elk hunting and picked up a .300 wsm recently. Last elk I shot with a centerfire was only 364 yds. Not extreme but the 165 gr. tsx handled that bull with authority(.300 WSM). Overall I beleive you will find what you need in either cartridge whether you choose the 7mm RM or the .300 WM. I would not worry about ammo for either cartridge. JMO